Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Teams not travelling  (Read 1090 times)

Offline TheFatGazelle

• Senior Colt
    • View Profile
Teams not travelling
« on: October 03, 2016, 12:03:02 PM »
On Saturday Sunderland 2s cancelled their Aln League game at Novos yet fulfilled a Sunderland 3s fixture AT HOME.

South Shields 2s also cancelled their trip to Morpeth. Morpeth even offered to pay half for a minibus! And yet they then played A HOME fixture against Jarrovians.

What's everyone's views on this? Should a team be able to claim points for a cancelled fixture if that same team or below plays a game at home instead, meaning there was a full squad available? (you can't claim points currently until 2nd round of fixtures).

Offline Geordie

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
Re: Teams not travelling
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 12:31:24 PM »
To answer your question, yes I think if this happens then yes points should be able to be claimed!

On the other side of the coin, Alnwick 3's should be praised for travelling to Gosforth 2's on Saturday with just 14 men. Gosforth lent Alnwick a player and then after injuries Gosforth matched Alnwick's numbers throughout the game. I think it ended up 12 or 13 a side by the time the final whistle went. Great sportsmanship from both sides!

Offline Badgerbear77

• Alickadoo
  • Views are my own
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 01:31:48 PM »
Have you asked sunderland for some facts Joe?  Maybe they saw how pretty much a 2nd team from your club played a 3rd team recently under the guise of a third team and smashed 60 points on.
Rugby is for everyone, not just the chosen few

Offline TheFatGazelle

• Senior Colt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 01:41:54 PM »
I think having a squad of 20 plus for a 3rd team game and cancelling an away 2nd team game due to lack of players is pretty black and white. I'm not attached to any club this season, but Novos i believe openly said that was a mix of 2nd and 3rd team players for a friendly a few weeks ago.

The travelling with less players is very commendable i agree! And great to see in the spirit of the game.

Offline Badgerbear77

• Alickadoo
  • Views are my own
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 02:53:14 PM »
Pull the other one Joe it's got bells on

Offline Badgerbear77

• Alickadoo
  • Views are my own
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 06:12:16 PM »
Well Joseph case in point today. .. a certain club cried off there 2nd xv game and played their 3site and 4s. Glass houses and stones springs to mind

Offline West Lawn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 01:22:38 PM »
Wow lots of ironies here.

Meanwhile Sunderland send their 2nd XV up to Alnwick and put a 3rd team of 14 players out to face Novos 4ths (or 3/2s?).

The bottom line for most clubs is that Tuesday's and Thursday's are a headache working out availabilities, who is working, who can travel, who's injured etc.etc.....

I'm involved with Sunderland 2s and we made call not fulfill Novos fixture on the Tuesday. There was obviously a big mix up if that decision was only relayed on the Saturday morning and not what we would have wanted.

We certainly aren't in a position to look to avoid games in order to post big wins (just look at our results!)

I appreciate a good controversial post is always interesting but as was said earlier just get in touch to discuss and if we've unintentionally messed up we're happy to apologise.