Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: On the pitch thuggery  (Read 5978 times)

Offline Gbh589

• 1st XV
    • View Profile
On the pitch thuggery
« on: November 06, 2016, 02:37:52 PM »
I had held off posting this but after what i was told yesterday it changed my mind.

So this season on an away trip we ended up with 4 players injured due to punches. 3 of these were hospitalised due to the head injuries sustained and all had to miss games due to concussions.  I have been reliably informed that an away travelling team yesterday had 2 players taken off injured again for punches, involving the same team. Now i know in the heat of the moment things happen and it is a contact sport and aggresion levels are high but this is a bit of a joke. To me there is no place in the game for this, being in the line of work which i am, i have seen the damage ONE punch can do to people, and i dont want to see this in a rugby match.

It appears some clubs think this behaviour is acceptable as its a CONTACT sport. >:(

Offline Badgerbear77

• Alickadoo
  • Views are my own
    • View Profile
Re: On the pitch thuggery
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 02:49:18 PM »
I was coaching a side once where a player was late tackled and hurt by medicals.... queue lots of whopping and hollering from Meds support. Not condoning punching but I assume your lot are no longer applauding foul play as well?
Rugby is for everyone, not just the chosen few

Offline local player

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 03:11:56 PM »
I didnt see the match in question so i cant comment on the specifics.......

However there are lots of areas of foul play that can result in injury not just punches-also why are the punches being thrown????

Late tackles-you have made the pass relaxed then bang you get snotted, sometimes its a mistake but sometimes its done on purpose.  If you (or members of your team) go around doing this (and the ref misses it) dont be suprised if you get smacked.  I could say the same for standing offside so you can make big tackles.....

Dont get me wrong idiots whom go round thinking they are in a boxing ring deserve to be sent of then banned, however if you cheat then expect some sort of comeback.

Offline exroofer

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 07:45:42 PM »
I have been watching my son play for about the last 10 years, mainly North East 1, and there is certainly less thuggery in evidence than when I played myself in the 1980's.

The game is more vigilantly refereed, players are carded for any gratuitous violence and losing a player usually means losing points and possibly losing a game which no clubs in league systems can afford to do.

A great improvement from the days where so many punches and stamps went unpunished.

Offline No. 6 to Middlegate

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 07:56:38 PM »
I had held off posting this but after what i was told yesterday it changed my mind.

So this season on an away trip we ended up with 4 players injured due to punches. 3 of these were hospitalised due to the head injuries sustained and all had to miss games due to concussions.  I have been reliably informed that an away travelling team yesterday had 2 players taken off injured again for punches, involving the same team. Now i know in the heat of the moment things happen and it is a contact sport and aggresion levels are high but this is a bit of a joke. To me there is no place in the game for this, being in the line of work which i am, i have seen the damage ONE punch can do to people, and i dont want to see this in a rugby match.

It appears some clubs think this behaviour is acceptable as its a CONTACT sport. >:(

It's a bit of a whodunit to try and work out which club you are on about. 

You have said the first 'episode' occurred in an away game of your team - which I believe is Medicals.  Medicals have played away at the following clubs this season :-
Horden
Novos
Stockton
Gateshead
Hartlepool (but that was yesterday)

You also said the second 'episode' occurred yesterday to an away travelling team and involved the same team.  Of the above teams Gateshead and Stockton were at home.    Am I getting warm?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 08:06:34 PM by No. 6 to Middlegate »

Offline Hit Man Hall

• Alickadoo
  • Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 08:10:10 PM »
I think this post should stop right here, albeit I agree that there is no place for thuggery, there is also no place for a witch hunt on this forum.

If you have a problem on or off the field you must report it and follow the correct proceedure. By publishing on this forum could damage the reputation of the club for which that player represents. Should it be a particular person then the ONLY way to deal with this alleged assault is to report the matter to your clubs officials, and it should be resolved.
"Get the first tackle in early even if it's late"

Offline local player

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 08:22:39 PM »
To be fair meds used to get targeted for a bit of rough stuff.......but like Ex-roofer stated the game is a lot cleaner now.

Thats not to say it never happens mind, but having played meds many times i have found them to be very quick to cry foul play but were no angels themselves.

Hit man makes a good point-if a team/individual has went OTT then have a word with their officials, if they arent interested take if further.

Offline Cows T1ts

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 12:27:10 AM »
Anyone who whoops/high 5's deserves to be clipped!

Offline wearecastle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 09:00:57 AM »
If you can't "whoop/high five" then how are teams supposed to celebrate in your opinion?

"Very good chaps, well done. Be quiet though guys, we don't want to upset the opposition team of 15  fully grown men"

What a ridiculous argument.

Offline MowdenCastle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 11:44:50 AM »
Anyone who whoops/high 5's deserves to be clipped!

A thread about unessecary violence and you "cows T1ts" (nice name by the way :-\ ) decide to condemn cheering and celebrating a win or a try. Now I only speak for myself but when I lose a competition or game in sport and hear the winning team cheer that motivates me more than anything, it motivates me to not want to be in that position again, , that's why we play sports and compete, to win, to achieve something. It means a lot when you achieve something in a competitive environment, and to not celebrate that, in my opinion, is completely backwards. It's not supposed to feel nice when you lose, use that anger my young padawan and direct it back into competition.

You seem to imply that the so called  "whooping" crosses over into being a sore winner when in reality it's not the case. All it amounts to is the built up frustration from the constant vendetta some have for certain teams. A desire for them not to succeed, and that desire fuels our desire and it tastes all the more sweet, like a big bowl of cookies, each bite better than the last.

Offline Roverthemoon

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 12:01:19 PM »
So far this season only seen one team who liked to massage their own egos..........
Now who could that be?
In fairness I think we got off lightly judging by other comments

Offline wearecastle

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 01:29:46 PM »
If a team wins and cheers is that unfair to the opposition and 'massaging their ego' or is that just celebrating a positive achievement?

We play Northern next week and we're under no illusion it's going to be a tough game and it's obviously a very important game for both sides. Whichever way the result goes, I expect whooping and cheering from the successful side, that is a very normal thing to expect surely?

May the best team win.

Offline Roverthemoon

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 01:40:05 PM »
Well guessed!
I think you are ignoring a number of posts on other threads
There are ways of behaving on the way to winning and having won a game
There are a few local clubs who have behaved similarly in the past and a common theme has been that the clubs were on an upward curve; don't forget though that you meet the same teams on your way back down the ladder..........
Btw I'm whooping for Northern 😀
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 01:41:13 PM by Roverthemoon »

Offline DC

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 01:51:29 PM »
I think you both are missing the point of this tread.

Whooping and cheering may annoy players on the opposite team but that surely doesn't condone being punched in the face at a ruck or being punched in the face while leaving a ruck for no apparent reason. Then having 3/4 players unavailable the following week due to concussions from said punches. Yes the standard of refs is better than the old days but they cannot see everything. At the end of the day we all have to go to work on Monday morning

Offline No. 6 to Middlegate

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 04:51:52 PM »
DC is dead right that the original thrust of this thread seems to have been diverted onto whooping.  Sorry to prolong this aspect but I really can't understand two people from Barney appearing to condone or even encourage this.  It is just too much like football for me - or even worse on some occasions.  Below are extracts from a publication called 'Core Values of Rugby Union'.  I can't see how whooping is compatible with either.

Respect is holding in high esteem our sport and its values and traditions, and earning the respect of others in the way we behave. We respect our match officials and accept decisions. We respect opposition players and supporters.

Sportsmanship is the foundation upon which rugby union is built. We uphold the rugby tradition of camaraderie with team-mates and opposition. We observe fair play both on and off the pitch and are generous in victory and dignified in defeat. We play to win, but not at all costs and recognise both endeavour and achievement