Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Legacy.  (Read 4688 times)

Offline local player

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Re: Legacy.
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2016, 10:19:50 PM »
With you as per on the leagues guv, though i would have the bottom league (the lowest level) smaller than the higher leagues (it really is hard just to raise a XV sometimes at the lower levels).

You speak sense, even though you a Novos lad! ;)

Offline dar1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2016, 10:36:00 PM »
I personally think a lot of clubs have to many teams at at one club. If you minimise the amount of teams at one club then players would go to other clubs to play strengthing there new club and the league they play in use hartlepool area for example how do a team like Hartlepool BBob sometimes struggle to put a side out when other teams in that area are putting out 3 teams on the same day it criminal.  I personally think it a major problem in the area and to many games getting called off because of it. I get player retention and that and I don't expect any team to turn players away but there is problem there especially when teams fold such as Washington  and you see there neighbours putting out 3 teams.

Offline Slam

• Senior Colt
  • The good old days
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2016, 10:45:50 PM »
Another effect of over professionalising rugby at grassroots.

Why does a 4th XV need to play league games???? Check the leagues; they're littered with unfulfilled fixtures and 100-0 score lines. Organise even games and play for the county cups. Let's get our fixtures secs doing a job  ;)

That might go some way for non clubmen (playing at a club for years etc) playing for a big club like Park 3s to perhaps make the move to a club like Seghill to bolster their 1st XV as they'd relish the opportunity for competitive fixtures.

Offline TheFatGazelle

• Senior Colt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2016, 09:19:19 AM »
To offer some insight from a player who has played mostly below 1st team level in the social sides; I've always been an advocate of the leagues for the lower teams as it keeps things competetive for those players who aren't going to make it into the 1st team. However, this season is the worst I've seen for a while for player numbers. There seems to have been a huge loss across all levels over the summer! And as mentioned earlier on this thread some of the scores are ridiculous.

Might it be time to go away from the league structure below the candy leagues? There are 3 Northumberland leagues (there used to be 4) and even in the top league there are regularly fixtures being dropped due to lack of numbers. I never thought i'd suggest it but it could be time to start seeing what you have available by a Wed and go into a big pool for friendly fixtures on Sat? Some teams in these league games (naming no names of course) are calling off on the morning of the game - I do understand this as they want to honour the fixture and are hunting for players.

A more random suggestion but a possibilty is in the lower sides being able to run out for another team? So team X can only get 10 this week, so they find a fixture with another club and run out for them that week meaning they still get their Saturday game. Although there are a lot less players sadly there are a lot also who are being left with nothing to do on a Saturday who could easily run out for another club for a week!

I know a lot of players may also be able to play evening games. I've played under floodlights on Friday nights and it's great, can turn up post work and it's good fun. Why do we have to stick to 2.15pm Saturdays or 3pm depending on seasons.

Finally, I think even at lower level there are too many games. As a father of 2 with family commitments I'm not alone and I'm actually not playing much. But if we had less fixtures below Candy level you might get more players out. I'd also like to add that Mugsy's post is excellent, some great points there.

Offline Riddler

• Senior Colt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2016, 10:39:48 AM »
First post in a while but an interesting point by mugsy.

4. Press apathy - You could pick up the local paper and read about all the local club fixtures and selection news a generation ago. Not now, no interest. Unless you play for Falcons, Blaydon, Mowden or Tynedale, forget it.

Surely this could be rectified. But it requires more volunteers (which many of us lack/it'll be the same old faces taking on another role). It requires either the paper to get in touch with each club or the clubs to send their teams and short match reports in to the papers, even if its just for the online edition. Many clubs struggle to update their websites with match reports mind, which shows the apathy among ourselves! I think this may be a chicken and egg scenario.

But it is doable!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Geordie

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2016, 01:56:41 PM »
I know a lot of players may also be able to play evening games. I've played under floodlights on Friday nights and it's great, can turn up post work and it's good fun. Why do we have to stick to 2.15pm Saturdays or 3pm depending on seasons.

Totally agree with this. As a Dad myself I would love the flexibility of Friday night or even Saturday morning kick offs! My missus would be much more agreeable to me only being out until lunchtime on a Saturday (even though I more than likely wouldn't be able to walk properly in the afternoon and the younger members of our team wouldn't have had as long to recover from the night before)

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
  • View from the blue horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2016, 05:22:04 PM »
Riddler, the press apathy thing is rectifiable in theory, but if the Newcastle Chronicle is our yardstick, then efforts by club secretaries (or whatever the role is called at each club) to get club news published, fall on deaf ears. Yes, someone at 'Copy', as it's known, takes down the report, but it is then binned. Most have given up trying. Mark Smith, the last Chron Rugby man, is a good Consett lad and I've emailed him once or twice to praise the rare articles he managed to get printed on junior clubs and to encourage him to push for more of the same with the Editor. After all, the paper prints page after page of 'grassroots' (pub team) football, complete with large colour action photos! (''Burglar's Arms goalie Jay Snargett is challenged by Scrogg Road Youth Club's Darren Tacsmoker''). He acknowledged my concerns and tried hard to be given more column inches, but they just aren't interested unless it's a statement by Deano or at a stretch, Micky Ward. He's moved on now after the Falcons decided to cold-shoulder him for reporting something Deano said, so it's not going to get any better (unless they employ me!)
The Hexham Courant still features Tynedale quite heavily and that's great, as Hexhamshire kids should aspire to see their name in print and locals should be inspired to spectate - but that one paper's rather narrow readership is a drop in the ocean we're discussing. Dunno what the Teesside papers are like? I used to see pics of my Dad in the papers when I was young and wanted to be like him - and I'm sure it was the same for many of my generation. That's the reason I included this point in my list of player decline reasons - it is the only 'shop window' available to local clubs and has been taken away, at least on Tyneside
My point is that yes, it's fixable - but at present not from our end. The Ed and his subs need to change or somehow be persuaded that more people might buy their rag if it had decent Rugby coverage..
(PS - I wish to make clear that 'me faatha' was in the paper as a Rugby player, not an armed robber.)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 10:49:29 AM by Mugsy »

Offline Nicknack

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2016, 05:46:51 PM »
The Northern Echo gives decent local rugby coverage and Tim Wellock, their Chief Rugby Correspondent, has published several good reports of our games (Barney) over the last couple of seasons - he comes to the odd game, the last one being our game against Novo's last weekend. Two or three of us take it in turns to do the match reports and Tim is always copied in and he features us in the rugby roundup. We also send reports of all 3 teams to the local paper, the Teesdale Mercury and they publish reports in full. They are very supportive of us and send a photographer down most weeks as well so we get pretty good coverage all round.

Offline Teessidewire

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2016, 08:42:07 PM »
I actually think that the leagues are the right size at the moment, what most people were against was reducing the size of the league and filling the games lost with another cup competition, possibly with 2 legged ties. can't agree with dual registration. Play someone who isn't getting their game for a higher ranked Club and one of your own Club members gets replaced, not good at all.

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
  • View from the blue horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2016, 11:01:08 AM »
NickNack, That's good to hear about the Northern Echo and Teesdale Mercury, and I'm sure it has given Barney a platform for recruiting youngsters and players new to the area - and that's what my point was all about. Up here in times past, as well as good coverage by The Journal and Chronicle, we had the Gateshead Post and the Blaydon Courier, both of which featured Gateshead, North Durham, Blaydon, Winlaton and Ryton Rugby Clubs heavily. Sadly, like North Durham RUFC, neither now exist.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 11:04:09 AM by Mugsy »

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2016, 02:25:50 PM »
Quite an interesting read in regards to this thread.

Morpeth RFC matches arranged 1982-2013
            1982-83 1992-93 2002-03 2012-13
1st XV       39          36         29             30
2nd XV     41           33         26             20
3rd XV      32           24         28             21
4th XV      27           24         25              15
5th XV      23            18         -                 -
6th XV      25             1          -                 -
Total         187         136       108             86

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2016, 02:29:13 PM »
A club nowhere near us but with a very similar (and worse) story to tell in regards to player numbers and club games.

Harrow RFC matches arranged 1982-2013
               1982-83 1992-93 2002-03 2012-13
1st XV          40         35           28            28
2nd XV         34         32          30             28
3rd XV          33         31          25               -
4th XV          30         27          32               -
5th XV          27         25           -                 -
6th XV          17         15           -                 -
Total            181       165        115              56

Quite a worrying slide in just 10 years...I'm sure that viewing is pretty similar for every club.

Anyway, Happy New Year  ;D    I'm off out to get drunk!

Offline Hit Man Hall

• Alickadoo
  • Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2016, 07:31:09 PM »
I'm sure many have heard about Darlington RFC sharing its ground with Darlington FC, and following on from a previous post it seems no one has an answer to what might be the end of Rugby at Blackwell Meadows. I think it's important to remember the history of this club and the lack of local support over the years. I know that many would say that they deserve what's coming to them, but history has a very nasty way of repeating its self and this could happen to any club if their not managed correctly, anyway the rot has certainty set in and can only get worse unless things change and the club officials get their act together.

If Darlington Rugby Football Club are not worried they should be! There has been many FB blogs relating to this subject the unfortunate outcome is that the decision to "share" the ground has been taken to lightly and can only mean a illness that DRFC will suffer, for how long I don't know.

However there is an alternative, an idea that in in my opinion would be a fantastic opportunity and great solution, (should the hierarchy who say they have the best interests of the club at heart) maybe consider, my idea is total unbiased, I feel, and would open the door to many different opportunities for the whole rugby community in Darlington.

Darlington has a fantastic Rugby Stadium that maybe under used with DMP only playing at home every 2weeks, there are more pitches to the rear of the Stadium and many changing rooms, in addition there are at least 4 bar areas any that could be shared. DRFC and DMP should get the stubborn heads together and work together, DRFC could make a packet out of the Football club if they used their brains, they could lease the clubhouse to them and come to some agreement with DMP to play their club rugby at the Stadium and agree some kind of rent/share agreement. I'm sure DMP would welcome an arrangement with their ambition to go fully professional, it's a win win situation DRFC win with an income from Blackwell Meadows and with decent facilities to play their rugby, DMP win with an additional income from DRFC, increase in bar takings and increase in home game support, the lower teams from both clubs would also benefit when players from both sides could fulfil the places helping both clubs turn out 2nd 3rd and possibly 4th teams each week instead of cancelling games due to lack of bodies, then of course Rugby is the overall winner as DRFC will continue to be in existence and remain one of Durham Counties finest and oldest clubs.

Like I said, just an idea from a passionate rugby participant who just wants the best for Rugby in Darlington.

Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone experienced the same, If so please make them known and hope that DRFC read them.
🏉 Sticks and Stones may break my bones but rugby does it better 🏉

Offline old man

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2016, 11:05:45 PM »
been watchin annd listenin to other clubs playin seems a lot are strugglin at moment agree with the guv and we should the reduce   the num of teams in each league also i mite get get shouted down on this point but i think the players wives get onto the players spendin every sat away from there families mite be wrong but would like to know and that could be why some players wont travel away

Offline AcmeThunderer

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2017, 12:35:12 AM »
Even a blind man should be able to see that the game is struggling big style in the north east.  Clubs that used to turn out three or four sides, or even more, are now struggling to get out two.  Even the 'bigger' sides are struggling and can't get a second string out every week.  Colts hardly exist, and those that do struggle for fixtures.  I should have been involved in five fixtures recently and every single one has been cancelled very late.  I don't know what the cause is, or what the answer is, but it is plain that the RFU don't either as they appear to be blissfully unaware that there is a problem - everything in their garden is red rosy