Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Big Stitch Up  (Read 18633 times)

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Re: The Big Stitch Up
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 04:23:47 PM »
Ha ha Neil, l know exactly what you mean. This thread has been entertaining and put a cat amongst the pigeons. l just hope there aren't any RFU bigwigs looking on however, otherwise things might get taken out of hand.

Offline Hit Man Hall

• Alickadoo
  • Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 05:18:40 PM »
Ha ha Neil, l know exactly what you mean. This thread has been entertaining and put a cat amongst the pigeons. l just hope there aren't any RFU bigwigs looking on however, otherwise things might get taken out of hand.

Neil I agree, the whole point of this forum is to allows users to express themselves anonymously, its not blog etiquette to name users by the name and then hide behind their own nick name, the whole point of the initial post was to start a discussion and not launch a personal attack against the Author.

The initial point was about the set up of the team of three without prior notice or justification, and to be told that it was because of of a earlier post and discussion on this forum "on the pitch Thuggery" reiterated in this thread by Gbh589

"I refer you to an early topic this season "on the pitch thuggery " .  The reason the officials were in place were due to incidents in the previous game which ended with 4 players in hospital. As a club we have a duty of care towards both our own players and visiting players hence the officials in the return fixture".

I really don't know why we have to justify having 3 officials .       

I disagree you should justify your reasons for having 3 officials, this is not standard and obviously had a baring on the game, a young player that was Red carded for an offence that did not actually happen is absolutely outrageous, I would hope that the Medicals player who was the alleged victim in that alleged incident or an official from the club actually stand by the comment made on the day.

Quote by>> Inspirational?

I would be interested to hear how and who was involved in appointing 3 officials to this game and wonder what the objective was?

To ensure fair play?
Or to punish any offence by Stockton?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 05:23:19 PM by Hit Man Hall »
🏉 Sticks and Stones may break my bones but rugby does it better 🏉

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 05:43:40 PM »
To ensure fair play l hope ( for the integrity of the game).

Offline Rugby83

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 05:45:07 PM »
In regards to GBH (hopefully your initials otherwise the irony is too much) referring once again to the game at the start of the season. I can't not respond to your references to 4 players ending up in hospital any longer.
 I played in the in the match in question and I can't comment on every incident but two of which your players ended up worst off (namely your second row and fly half) they were the instigators. The second row continually  pulled our second row down when he was at full height in the line out an act which I see as fairly likely to result in serious injury, he also cotinually dished out cheap shoulders etc at rucks etc. The fly half a very well spoken young man grabbed one of our players off the ball and started gobbing off in his face and ragging him by he collar, which in some less well to do areas than West Jesmond where I would have a stab he resides, maybe be seen as confrontational and a threat. He went to the floor more easily than my 95 old grandma would have.
4 players going to hospital sounds a startling statistic but people go to hospital at dffierent points. I would hazard a guess your fly half was one of them and after quick torch in the eyes I would guess he was told he was fine and to come back should he feel any worse.
I was not personally involved in any of the altercations but I feel it's necessary to give balance to the incidents, given they have been brought up again.
The argument about not influencing referees is also not necessarily a convincing one. I played in a match several years ago funnily enough also against medicals in which a Medics player screamed ''he's gouging''(Gouging for me is about as abhorrent as it gets) at every ruck until eventually our inside centre bent over to pick up the ball directly in front of me with his hands going no where near any eyes. The referee promptly red carded our player. I asked the alleged victim if he had been gouged and he said no not at all. I knew the medics captain at the time and he said he would organise a statement. I messaged the captain to ask the player to give the statement and was met with lads have asked him not as it was rough match they don't want to give a supporting statement. The player who was a firefighter was going to retire from rugby he was so aggrieved with what happened. In the end he was found not  guilty after a hearing. I would like to clarify I wasn't present Saturday gone so I can't offer an opinion on any of that game or decisions.
I wasn't physically involved in any of the above incidents but if I have seen anyone from my team do something cheap or unprovoked I would and have been the first to say something to them.  I do think that clubs and players would help themselves if they did not get involved in tipping in the line out, cheap shots, shirt pulling, late tackles etc.
I am not making out as if there is no wrongdoing on the part of any of our players in every incident and I didn't see all of them, but it does wear a bit thin when you imply that all the Medics lads are innocent victims who were savagely attacked whilst simply minding their own business.

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 07:55:40 PM »
Personally I'd quite like three officials watching a game I played in! Decisions are more likely to be correct for a start

Offline local player

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2017, 08:01:15 PM »
Personally I'd quite like three officials watching a game I played in! Decisions are more likely to be correct for a start

Depends guv-if they have been asked to ref as a group for a certain reason-IE one club are dirty then that kinda puts the idea in their heads doesnt it?????

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 08:08:30 PM »

Depends guv-if they have been asked to ref as a group for a certain reason-IE one club are dirty then that kinda puts the idea in their heads doesnt it?????

Fair point. Knowing many NRU refs as I do though, I genuinely doubt they would be anything other than impartial.

Saying that, I wasn't at the game and cannot comment on it.

If it was from a player safety point of view, then it must have worked as (seemingly) no players from either side were affected by foul play. It would therefore be interesting to see if the penalty count was justified for (presumably) the technical offences.

Offline local player

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 08:14:21 PM »
Same boat as you guv-i wasnt there so i dont know if one team was naughty or went overboard......

However i played the game long enough to know there were no complete innocent teams out there (i regard late tackles as naughty as a punch).  Despite what some clubs state.

However some clubs were seen as softer targets (meds being one of them) so they used to get a roughing up but that stopped years ago-didnt it?

Offline Rugby83

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 08:28:28 PM »
Having played with three officials for several years I much prefer it. I also think videoing games is great. I don't know the detail of how or why there were three refs on Saturday but GBH seems to imply it was a request due to concerns over safety. If that is the case I think it should be made clear to any opposition team so that any concerns of theirs can also be made clear in advance as well.
It's great saying three refs are better, but if you turned up at work on Monday and you had three managers watching you instead of the usual one with the insinuation that a colleague had said you were a lazy skiver, Im not sure the employees opinion would be, oh its great having three managers to support me and I'm sure they'll see how great I am.
I just think consistency and transparency are key, if a team has requested more officials and it is granted I think it should be made clear to the opposition as soon as its granted.

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 08:31:19 PM »
Fair points. Nice to have some debate on the forum for a change  ;D

Offline Pilgy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2017, 10:03:17 PM »
This thread is getting ridiculous now. As medicals fixture secretary 3 refs were allocated to the game because a complaint was made against Stockton to Northumberland rfu following the previous game due to the excessive foul play. It was their decision to allocate 3 refs for the game last weekend.

I was not at the first game but surely a bit of niggly play and a bit of argy bargy between opposing players is nothing new to the sport. But does that (removed )

It was this that caused the RFU to make the decision to allocate assistant refs for this game. If you are a ref yourself Mr hall then you should understand the RFU has every right to do so. Let's give the bitching a rest now and look to the next games. This one is done and no amount of chat is going to change the result, the penalty count or the decision of the RFU.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 10:11:51 PM by aapierre »

Offline Peter Flan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2017, 08:22:29 AM »
Post removed by admin.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 09:26:36 AM by Neil Roseberry »

Offline Sgt Bilko

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2017, 09:15:00 AM »
Again ******* has pulled out his big spoon.....  :-\
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 11:45:13 AM by Neil Roseberry »

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2017, 09:24:46 AM »
Gentlemen,

This topic is starting to degenerate into a notice board for pointing fingers and pinning blame. Having worked in the caring profession all of my life, we have a saying that "prevention is better than cure."

With this in mind, l am serving fair notice that this thread is ONE inflammatory comment away from being locked down. You may consider this a yellow card if you wish. I have the full backing of my fellow admins to validate this action so please play nicely.

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
  • View from the blue horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2017, 09:53:39 AM »
The original post set the tone, I'm afraid. It was always going to end thus.