Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Final League Table Predictions...  (Read 1211 times)

Offline Baty1

• View Profile
Final League Table Predictions...
« on: February 20, 2017, 01:58:19 PM »
I've looked at the remaining fixtures and having played all teams this season I can see the following outcome of the league...

1) Pocklington (98 points) - not the best team in the league but stick to their game plan and have a good run of fixtures till the end.
2) West Hartlepool (95 points) - have been run close by some teams but I think they will go up in a play off.
3) Penrith (91 points) - great second row partnership who run a lot, game is based around their off loading game and their number 8, travel hurts them.
4) Alnwick (84 points) - best rugby team in the league, great back row however travel hurts them.
5) Bradford & Bingley (80 points) - solid side.
6) Percy Park (70 points) - good run of fixtures will see them climb the table, too much to do to get into the top 5 though.
7) Driffield (65 points) - lots of tough games coming up but will have enough to stay up.
8) Durham City (59 points) - tough run of games since christmas but should have a strong enough finish.
9) Huddersfield (54 points) - very tough run in for the yorkshiremen.
10) Malton & Norton (54 points) -  two wins from remaining games will keep them up.
11) Morpeth (53 points) - 4 of next 6 are away in Yorkshire, will lose to West at home but will beat M&N and stay up on points difference.
12) Dinnington (53 points) - can see 2 wins from remaining games but will go down on points difference.
13) Guisboro (11 points) - no wins from remaining games.
14) Wheatley Hills (7 points) - can beat Boro at home, but will be a close game.

Thoughts and comments appreciated!

Offline small

• View Profile
Re: Final League Table Predictions...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 09:46:16 PM »
Interesting observations Baty1, perhaps you have a little too much time on your hands at work?
For what its worth, I think with 6 games left there is a possible 30 points on offer to each team, and the top two are at least 8 points clear. Unless they have a bit of a meltdown, the top spot will be between Pocklington and West. Looking at the fixtures, Pocklington have Alnwick away and West, both will be really difficult games. West have Alnwick at home as well which will be a hard game for them so this might go right to the wire on 22nd April.
I thought that Penrith were the favourites but after watching them on Saturday against West, they offered little other than a really good 8 who picked up at every scrum, and West didn't play well again but still won with some key players missing (although I still can't understand why Penrith being 17-15 down with only 2 mins left had a very kickable penalty but chose for the lineout instead of the posts!)
I'm going to put my money on West as champions only because the top teams have to go there and Brinkburn is a difficult place to win even when West play badly. I think that away games for Pocklington at West and Alnwick may be a bridge too far? This is where the bonus points will be really important and teams need to play for the full 80 mins and not to turn off when they have a healthy lead.
In terms of the middle rankings, I think Baty1 will be there or thereabouts. The bottom two are pretty well nailed on but the 12th and final (maybe) relegation could be any one of a number - at the moment 6th -  12th are only separated by 8 points so a couple of good results with a bonus point could make all the difference. I predicted M&N and I will stick with that as I think they have a tough run in to the end of the season.
You've probably gathered that my team is West - lets hear your views for where your team will finish.

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 09:50:20 AM »
I see West have slipped down to third after their home loss to Alnwick. l wonder whats gone wrong recently? l had them nailed on to win the league a month or two back. Mind you, its a bloody tough league to battle their way out of.

Offline NorthEast1_Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 11:27:03 AM »
Out of the top 5 in the league at present, West were the weakest side I have come across and not at all surprised they lost to Alnwick.

Offline semajdrib

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 09:59:47 AM »
With only 4/5 games to go itís easy to make final predictions, itís obviously Pocklingtonís title to lose now. They can afford to slip up at West and still win the league although id make them favourites to win that fixture anyway. Pocklington have been the most consistent team and have done well by playing effective rugby based around a very strong reliable set piece. Winning away in recent weeks at Penrith and Alnwick has been crucial for them.

I think Penrith will sneak in to the playoff spot and I expect them to beat Birkenhead away and go up. Their away form has been poor this season but they do seem to finish games strongly, last weekís fightback against Malton & Norton being a prime example.

As a complete outsider I've heard these two clubs have taken this season a little bit more seriously than others (although it may just be hearsay). With Pocklington planning overnight stops prior to some of their away games and Penrith having quality players coming in from all over Cumbria to represent them. These factors may prove to make all the difference at the end of the season.

West have done well and started the season on fire but have a tough run in, with only one home game left against Pocklington. I think they will struggle to get many four Try bonus point wins in their remaining games and will lose at least once allowing Penrith to slip in to the playoff spot.

Offline small

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 01:26:54 PM »
I think you are right in that Pocklington will now take the title but there is still some debate over the second place. West should return to the second place this weekend with their game in hand, I would be surprised if City turn them over but that depends on which West team turns up. I saw the second half against Alnwick last weekend and West were camped in their half for probably 80% of the period but the Alnwick defence was immense. The problem that West had was there was no plan B - it was route one,  straight through the middle or nothing which clearly didn't work against a very well organised defence. If West are looking to get back to their form at the start of the season, they need to go back to moving the ball around rather than try to bash their way through the middle of strong defences. They have some really good backs but they don't exploit them as much as they should, and there seems to be a reluctance to pass the ball at key moments.
I hope that they return to a faster flowing game that involves all 15 and cut out the strange kicking decisions that have cost them points and they should be in with a shout of a play off place.
Its going to be an interesting run in for all, I think Pocklington will be top hopefully followed closely by West.
PS - its much easier standing on the touch line analysing what happens than being on the pitch so I raise my hat to the 30 or more that take to the pitch every weekend to entertain us mere bystanders!