Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: england scotland  (Read 733 times)

Offline local player

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
england scotland
« on: March 11, 2017, 06:01:02 PM »
thought we would win, and win well but always wary as Scotland are playing well & raise their game against us..........

but i didnt see that coming!

Mind my predictions are generally pappa

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
  • View from the blue horizon
    • View Profile
Re: england scotland
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 11:01:25 AM »
I've criticised Ben Youngs on this forum for his slowing down of England's rhythm and pace by delaying his pass and allowing a scattered defence time to reorganise.
I said he absolutely should not be in the 9 shirt.
I stand by those comments as that was definitely the case at the time. But credit where it's due: someone, presumably Eddie Jones, has clearly been working with him using video analysis, because his service has altered dramatically. He is now sweeping the ball away from the breakdown, phase after phase, and thereby adding a whole new dynamic to England's game. Scotland couldn't live with it because they couldn't reorganise their defensive line in time. Ford's distribution was superb as a direct result, as he was given extra time and space and his centres took full advantage of it.
He has cut out the delay after reaching for the ball, the lift to the inside shoulder and the step.
His snipes from mauls, bringing runners on to flat passes, were much more potent due to his speeded-up game too.
When he got unavoidably slow ball, he box-kicked well - although that part of his game has never been in doubt.
Well done Ben Youngs, and the coach/es who put it right!

As for the Sweaty Socks, you can't defend like it's a game of touch, waiting for the attackers to run at you. No line speed, no gain-line aggression (other than the tip tackle that saw Daly go off injured and should have been a red in my opinion); very disappointing. What an occasion it's going to be in Dublin!!

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 03:25:32 PM »
Plenty of shirt tugging and pushing but they didn't even win that. lf they'd put more of their passion into their game, rather than focus on centuries' old gripes, maybe they may have came off a lot better.

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 04:27:41 PM »
After yesterday's game it confirms that England are a seriously good side, Jones has them all believing in each other and they play with a smile on their faces as well.

Evidence is there for all to see they have a minimum of 2 for every position, which is why they finish so well because the bench all know there jobs and just slot in with minimum fuss.

Front row has Marler, Mako, Hartley, George, Cole and Sinckler. Locks are they have 4 top quality lads in Itoje, Cruise, Lawes and Launchbury, back row is amazing and that's without a fit Robshaw. 2 top class 9's, Ford or Farrell at 10, Farrell, Teo, Joseph, in the Midfield and Daly can play anywhere. Brown, Howell, Watson, May.

I've never known England look genuinely so complete not even in 2003.

The game plan is good and adaptable, defensively we lack snafflers like Pocock etc so he has us playing tackler plus 1 at midnight at most breakdowns so there's no space without taking risks and England have copied the Kiwis in scoring off turnover ball. They catch teams totally unawares.

Can't wait for Ireland which will be a big test.

Offline stuartdm

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 06:38:35 PM »
My mouth is watering about how good that front row will be by the next World Cup - Mako, George, Sinckler are all fairly young (I know Mako looks about 50 but he's only 26 which is young for a prop.)

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 08:57:14 PM »
And if you add Maro ltoje, Billy Vunipola and George Kruis (amongst others) you realise English rugby is in a bloody good place at the moment. Who would have dared to dream that just after the last Rugby World Cup?

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 09:09:31 PM »
Don't neglect to mention Ellis Genge.
Mark my words, barring injury he's gonna force his way into that white shirt.
Still think we need the emergence of a quality 7 to be the best team in the world though.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 09:12:22 PM by Mugsy »

Offline Badgerbear77

• Alickadoo
  • Views are my own
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 11:12:46 PM »
Lozowski will come in to the equation too... he is emerging talent of the top order.

I like Sinckler a lot and genge.. I think we Jones has started a move away from the old block props.. Dan cole is running out of time. The front row is moving towards a more dynamic Ball carrying game for England.. vunipola can play that way.. Cole not so much..hoovers.. Jamie George is long term our number 2 and Hartley has improved his discipline but lost something we could use another top class hooker. 2nd row is up there with all 4 options genuinely  class. I agree we need to find a 7.. a proper jackal type.. robshaw and haskell can fight for the 6 shirt.. I think robshaw edges that one. Billy vunipola is a great 8 but jury still out on hughes for me

Backs I still prefer care to youngs and would like Lozowski given a chance at some point. Centres farrell plus teo, Joseph or even daly leave nowhere for tuilagi even if he ever gets fully fit.

Back three... nowell is first winger since Robinson who excited whenever he is on the ball Watson or daly and brown at full back is like a nasty little terrier... love it!

There will be others to come in but Jones has gone for evolution over revolution and I am learning a lot just watching him build u this squad. Awesome!

Rugby is for everyone, not just the chosen few

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 10:40:32 PM »
Badge, you nailed it again.
Agree with every bit of that.
Except calling Hartley and George Hoovers.

Offline Badgerbear77

• Alickadoo
  • Views are my own
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 12:09:51 AM »
Ah mugsy... auto correct kills me on here.... fat fingers on a little phone don't go together at all!!

Rugby is for everyone, not just the chosen few