Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lions tour 2017  (Read 2528 times)

Offline LineoutGeneral

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Lions tour 2017
« on: March 24, 2017, 10:46:34 PM »
Six nations done and dusted who's going to be on the plane to NZ and who's going to miss out? What's your ideal test team at the present time?

Offline stuartdm

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Re: Lions tour 2017
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 11:03:13 AM »
Well, I suppose I'll have first crack.
1. Mako
2. Owens (not a strong area, hooker)
3. Furlong
4. Launchbury
5. Lawes
6. Stander
7. Warburton
8. Billy
9. Murray (if fit, otherwise Webb)
10. Sexton
11. Seymour
12. Farrell
13. Joseph
14. North
15. Hogg

subs.

Marler
George
Sinckler
Itoje
Tipuric
Webb (Care)
Henshaw
Liam Williams

but I'll change my mind by tomorrow - only about 4 places are nailed on.

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 10:01:54 AM »
My starting XV on what l saw in Six Nations action recently would be...

S. Hogg (Sco)
G. North (Wal)
J. Joseph (Eng)
O. Farrell (Eng)
E. Daly (Eng)
J. Sexton (lre)
C. Murray (lre)

J. Marler (Eng)
K. Owens (Wal)
T. Furlong (lre)
M. ltoje (Eng)
A.W. Jones (capt.)
C.J. Stander (lre)
S. Warburton (Wal)
B. Vunipola (Eng)

subs.

J. George (Eng)
M. Vunipola (Eng)
K. Sinckler (Eng)
J. Launchbury (Eng)
J. Tipuric (Wal)
R. Webb (Wal)
L. Williams (Wal)
J. Nowell (Eng)

Offline Badgerbear77

• Alickadoo
  • Views are my own
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 12:20:09 PM »
I am gonna love this thread... for me the lions is bigger than the world cup.. I love it!

Still too early to name the playing squad in my eyes but who goes on the plane at this stage is what catches my attention... there is always a wild card that no one thinks will get in the test side..  in 97 it was Wallace and Smith and a young 2nd row named martin Johnson.. who will this years wild card be?

Props

Scotland won't get a sniff here, I think England and Ireland dominate this area so Marler, vunipola and cole from England and furlong, mcgrath and healy  are likely candidates.. would love us to take Sinckler over cole though if garland decides not to be conservative

Hookers- think they'll take 3 and Rory Best and Ken opens are already on the plane.. intriguing battle between Hartley, George and Fraser Brown for the last spot.. I would take George but have a feeling gatland will take hartley

2nd rows - I think they will take 6... but itoje will be a back row option as well which puts hom in... the rest is a really tough choice... the gray brothers are brilliant... you can't ever discount Wynn Jones and England's launchbury, kruis and lawes have strong claims... Irelands Options are decent but not in the class of the others. I would like itoje, jonny gray, launchbury, Wynn Jones, lawes and Richie gray on the plane

Back row- I don't envy the selectors here at all.. all the back rows of the home nations are quality... there will be a bias  towards Wales and Warburton will go even though I don't think he is at his best.. tipuric is a phenomenal link man and moriarty and faletau are class... you have to take stander and as unthinkable as it is I think heaslip O'brien and other mahoney won't go. Robshaw if as a 6 but then haskell and big Billy as well... much as I like barclay I can't see him making it.

So Warburton, robshaw, stander, moriarty, faletau, vunipola and tipuric with itoje also cover

Scrum half - another tough one - Connor Murray, rhys Webb and laidlaw for me care out of form and youngs behind them all.

10 - sexton is the main man for me, farrell will cover centre as well so it's between fin Russell,  Dan Biggar and Alex lozowski as a wild card... George ford for me is well out of it

Wings - North is there already, nowell and daly would go for me and then I think visser will go as cover for North and I would also take keith earls over zebo

Full back is another tough one... I think hogg, brown and halfpenny will travel with kearney unbelievably missing out

Centres - again unbelievably tough ringrose is the next big thing... Mark my words he is class. Joseph and I think Jamie Robert's as an impact sub might be used henshaw as well I think will go... Daley, earls and North can be extra cover.

I'll change my mind again before the plane leaves... love it!!

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 12:21:13 PM by Badgerbear77 »
Rugby is for everyone, not just the chosen few

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 12:19:18 AM »
l like the Welsh loosehead Rob Evans. Big strong lad with a soft pair of hands. l also think Iain Henderson and Peter O'Mahony played a stormer against England; thus doing their selection prospects no harm at all.

l agree 100% with what you said about Ringrose. l'm sure he was being touted as the next Brian O'Driscoll not so long ago. Thats a huge shadow to walk in but, from what l've seen of him so far, he certainly has massive potential and could become a household name in the near future.

Offline local player

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 09:03:57 AM »
Both England and Ireland you could argue for the whole team to be on the bus (for both midweek/Saturday teams).

Scotland-would only take the 9/10/15, no Gray bros!

Wales-Aln Jones gotta be in there even though we are spolit for choice in the 2nd row, Tipuric & Warburton as well.  Backs-not North, lacks defensive but again take the 9/10/15

Some places there is so much choice (2nd row) others there isnt (front row)

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 02:55:59 PM »
l'd love to see Danny Cipriani thrown into the mix as a wild card. Due to the magnitude of the task at hand though, l very much doubt they'd want to take a chance on which Danny would turn up.

Looks like there are going to be a few squeaky bums over the next few weeks as prospective players put that extra mile in to impress the Lions selectors (whilst at the same time trying to avoid the cruelly-timed injuries that would ruin their chances).

Offline LineoutGeneral

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 05:01:26 PM »
If you go on the same selections position wise as the 2013 tour to Oz i.e 3 fullbacks 4 wingers 4 centres 2.fly half's 3 scrum half's 7back row 5 locks 3hookers and 6props totalling 37 my squad would be

Props - jack mcgrath, mako vunipola, cian healy, tadhg furlong, Samson Lee, Dan cole.

Hookers- Jamie George, Rory best, Ken owens

Locks- AW Jones, Courtney lawes, Joe launchbury Jonny gray maro itoje

Back row- Justin tipuric Sam Warburton Billy vunipola CJ stander, Sean O brien, James Haskell and Peter O mahony

Scrum half's - Connor Murray Danny care and rhys webb

Fly half's - jonny sexton find russell

Centres- Owen farrell Jonathan Joseph Robbie henshaw and Johnathan davies

Wings- George North Jack Nowell Simon zebo Liam williams

Fullbacks- stu hogg Rob kearney Mike brown

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 10:21:29 AM »
Early leak that Warburton is captain...

Not sure that's the best decision, personally!

Offline Geordie

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 01:33:42 PM »
Anyone else surprised that Launchbury hasn't gone?

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 06:24:11 PM »
l'm surprised Launchbury hasn't made it. l think he is one of the type of forwards who could cause the NZ team problems. Delighted to see George Kruis made the party - l can see him and Alun Wyn Jonez packing down together for the tests.

Offline LineoutGeneral

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 07:02:49 PM »
Bit gutted for launchbury. Think back row will cause selection issues as tipuric is a much better 7 and stander has been great for Ireland and munster in the 6and8 shirts and I can't see anyone budging big Billy from no8 so where does that leave Warburton?? Certainly not in my test side anyways

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
  • View from the blue horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 12:12:15 AM »
Launchbury's omission is a huge mistake in my eyes - especially given the inclusion of Iain Henderson. For me he's ahead of every lock that is going except Itoje, who along with Billy V will surely be one of the first two names on the Test team sheet.
It's a shame because the rest of the selection looks about right to me (mild surprise Tommy Seymour is in), and I'm excited to see how the squad bonds; whether the combinations form a seamless machine that can take the game to the Kiwis.
I don't see why not!

Pleased to see the press speculation that Jamie Roberts would go at the expense of Jonathan Joseph was the nonsense I thought it had to be.

with huge respect for Henderson, I hope he gets injured at pre-tour training (nothing serious of course) and Launchbury gets the call!

Offline Passed it

• 1st XV
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 08:17:07 AM »
The omission of more Scots players has caused some debate but I think the game verses England sealed a lot of their fates as a most of them went missing or cracked under the pressure of a big game that Gatland will have noted. I still think Stuart Hogg,s 'head injury' was a crafty move by him as he could sense what was coming. !!! I,m a bit worried that he has loaded the squad with more bash it up backs than more 'flair player' which will cause the blacks defence no problems just going up the middle. I agree with the Warburton issue, is he worth his test place with Tuperic, Stander and Billy V all there. Should be a great 6 weeks but hope the games don't kick off at stupid o'clock.

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 12:32:39 PM »
Some massive shocks. Here is a squad of notable rejects that could give many a team more than a stern challenge...

Mike Brown
Sean Maitland / Keith Earls
Gary Ringrose
Scott Williams
Simon Zebo
Finn Russell / George Ford
Danny Care / Greg Laidlaw

Rob Evans / Cian Healy
Dylan Hartley / Ross Ford
Zander Ferguson / Tom Francis
Joe Launchbury
Johnny Gray / Devin Toner
Chris Robshaw
Hamish Watson / John Barclay
Jamie Heaslip / Nathan Hughes

I suspect quite a few of these may get a call up. lts gonna be the toughest rugby tour possible and there will be unfortunate circumstances where tour-ending injuries occur. Stay fit and strong boys.

Already looking forward to the next "Living With The Lions" dvd.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 12:35:23 PM by Neil Roseberry »