Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lions tour 2017  (Read 4703 times)

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
  • View from the blue horizon
    • View Profile
Re: Lions tour 2017
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2017, 08:32:57 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again - Thomas Waldrom is, for me, the second best England-qualified 8 and would walk straight into the Lions. In the Sarries-Exeter semi he was awesome as usual and was awarded Man of the Match despite playing against the best 8 in the world.
Always gets over the gain line, never gets turned over, carries more than anybody else and scores for fun. Just the kind of guy needed in NZ!
He's not even going to Argentina and that's criminal when Haskell is in the Lions.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 08:35:34 PM by Mugsy »

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2017, 09:36:25 AM »
Tomorrow's squad to take on Provincial Barbarians:

S Hogg (Scotland); A Watson, J Joseph, B Teo (all England), T Seymour (Scotland); J Sexton (Ireland), G Laidlaw (Scotland); J Marler (England), R Best (Ireland), K Sinckler (England) AW Jones (Wales, I Henderson (Ireland), R Moriarty, T Faletau, S Warburton (capt), all Wales).

Subs: J George, M Vunipola (both England), T Furlong (Ireland), G Kruis (England), J Tipuric R Webb (both Wales), O Farrell (England), J Payne (Ireland).

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2017, 01:13:21 PM »
What on earth was Jack Nowell thinking when he allowed himself to get sucked right in and manufacture a HUGE gap on his wing to make a try inevitble. Our tactical play, and discipline in particular, was very poor today. Just as well the Blues had two tries disallowed otherwise it could have looked like a scudding on paper.

Based on the first two games, the future looks rather bleak. How we react to this loss in the next game against the Crusaders will be crucial. On current form l predict a 3-0 total "Black-wash"

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2017, 07:50:47 PM »
Can't believe nobody has seen this coming. The Lions play just like Gatlands Wales sides which is what I've expected. He doesn't produce sides with NZ flair which being a kiwi is a bit of a mystery. Hard and physical up front and solid and one dimensional with a lot of kick chase behind it.

It's no coincidence that his Welsh sides do well in the North but struggle against Southern Hemisphere sides, this tour is only going to get more painful I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 07:52:48 PM by Renegade »

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2017, 08:41:25 PM »
Stats look rather ominous already.
Played  -2
Won - 1
Lost - 1
Pts scored - 29
Pts conceded- 29
Tries scored - 2
Tries conceded - 4

This tour is only going to get a hell of a lot tougher, so our lads are going to have to sink or swim. Hope they've taken their cossies.

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2017, 09:32:04 AM »
Oh Dear!
Ye of little faith!
The fact that they've started poorly will be neither here nor there by the time the tests come round boys - in fact in terms of motivation it may well work in the Lions' favour.
As I don't let my bank account be raped by Sky (if everyone refused they'd make their pricing reasonable in a flash) I didn't see the match until today. I felt sorry for Nowell on the first try, Neil - if anyone was sucked in when he should have stayed in the defensive shape it was Haskell, who left Biggar and Nowell to deal with 4 attackers. Nowell shouldn't have jammed in as hard as he did, but I could see why he did and he certainly wasn't the reason they scored.
(I will add, though, that in my opinion it is a weakness in his otherwise brilliant skill set. He should mark his touchline and be prepared to concede ground in defence more, and jam in on the ball carrier less. He is too easily outdone by the 'bridge pass', as the Falcons coaches call it.)
This was a below-par dirt-tracker performance by a side containing only 2 certain test starters, Itoje and either Murray or Webb.
That's all it was and I'm not as crestfallen by it as you lads seem to be!
Chin up chaps!!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 10:10:12 AM by Mugsy »

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2017, 07:30:04 PM »
Not a fan of Haskell, honest, hardworking but limited. Never been a fan of Gatland plays a very limited brand of rugby and NZ are way to good to be dragged into that. We have the players but not the style I'm afraid.

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2017, 10:15:28 AM »
Not a fan of Haskell, honest, hardworking but limited. Never been a fan of Gatland plays a very limited brand of rugby and NZ are way to good to be dragged into that. We have the players but not the style I'm afraid.
To be fair I agree with all of that Renegade. Having seen how both Nathan Hughes and Thomas Waldrom played in the Premiership final, it beggars belief that Haskell is out there. His energetic personality is ideal for bringing on the water and relaying messages from the coaching team, wearing a bib. And that should be his role in the squad from now on.

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2017, 12:40:55 PM »
Totally spot on, we've all played with and to be honest appreciated the honest, hardworking but limited players at our clubs (I was probably one tbh) and I can sort of see why he is liked that way but when you're picking from the best of 4 unions there is no way Haskell would be in the top 10 of what is a pool of 30ish back row players?

I agree that Hughes, Waldrom or Heaslip would have been a better bet.

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2017, 11:00:33 AM »
Absolutely gutted for poor Stuart Hogg - having to end his tour with that nasty facial fracture. l wish him all the very best for a swift and full recovery.

According to the BBC news feed, there is no plans to call up a replacement at this stage with Leigh Halfpenny, Jared Payne, Liam Williams and Anthony Watson deemed sufficient options for the full back jersey.

Offline LineoutGeneral

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2017, 03:33:48 PM »
With the NZ Maori side to play tomorrow and on games already played what's your 1st test side? Mines
1. Vunipola
2. George
3. Furlong
4. Kruis
5. Itoje
6. O mahony
7. O brien
8 falateu
9. Murray
10. Farrell
11.north
12.teo
13. Henshaw
14. Watson
15. Halfpenny

Let the debate begin ;)

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2017, 04:24:27 PM »
Almost agree with you there - I'd pick the same pack and half backs, with Joseph at 13 in front of Henshaw and Watson at 15 before Halfpenny (who would be on the bench to cover Farrell as goal kicker).
No intended English bias; that's just how I see it.
Farrell captain until Sam comes off the bench....

.....And Haskell would be water boy.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 04:29:52 PM by Mugsy »

Offline LineoutGeneral

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2017, 11:13:08 PM »
Sam Warburton wouldn't be on my bench stander or tipuric would be my back row cover

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2017, 02:11:13 PM »
My squad for the first Lions vs All Blacks test would be...

L. Halfpenny
A. Watson
B. Teo
O. Farrell
G. North
J. Sexton
C. Murray

M. Vunipola
J. George
T. Furlong
M. Itoje
G. Kruis
P. O'Mahony (Capt)
S. O'Brien
T. Faletau

Subs
K. Owens, J. McGrath, K. Sinckler, AW Jones, S. Warburton; R. Webb, J. Joseph, E. Daly

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2017, 11:47:46 PM »
My squad for the first Lions vs All Blacks test would be...

L. Halfpenny
A. Watson
B. Teo
O. Farrell
G. North
J. Sexton
C. Murray

M. Vunipola
J. George
T. Furlong
M. Itoje
G. Kruis
P. O'Mahony (Capt)
S. O'Brien
T. Faletau

Subs
K. Owens, J. McGrath, K. Sinckler, AW Jones, S. Warburton; R. Webb, J. Joseph, E. Daly

You won't be far off with that Neil. Looks good to me.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 11:48:59 PM by Mugsy »