Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Play off implications  (Read 5353 times)

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Re: Play off implications
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2017, 07:45:19 PM »
People already complain about free weeks now and any reduction in league numbers means more free dates and we all know they will not be filled with friendlies or cup ties
Play a week miss a week will just drive more people away from the game and so even less money
The West Leeds example is one extreme, and which was a positive one involving a successful and well supported club; the other is, the gate for a cup tie of say Gosforth  v Ryton......they wouldn't be closing the doors on a capacity crowd
Rovers v West used to have a 3000 attendance for a derby which would now be nearer 500
It's all about relativity and context
Here's a question on free weeks: why, after a three week shutdown at Christmas and New Year do we play the first week in January and then have the next week off?

The whole idea from the RFU was to reduce the amount of league games by reducing the leagues to less teams, add some Cup games with money incentives to fill in the blank weekends, the cup games would not be with teams from the same league but other league teams, to me it's a double whammy example being West Leeds coming to Novos club for cup game, making a day of it plenty of supporters, drinking themselves silly Novos winning the cup game and getting a couple of grand from the win and massive bar takings. It's a no brainier!!

I agree, but yet that national cup game may only be once a season! As a club you could still agree to play another game or two away to the likes of Scarborough or Carlisle for example. The following season they return that favour.

When I look over the old fixture cards some clubs that you used to play you will never ever play at 1st XV level again because of the stats quo. I know that if Novos visited Scarborough (like we did every year) we'd spent a few bob and likewise they would when they return a season later! It keeps friendships going and in games that players can enjoy without the pressure of league rugby. I'm sure clubs like Rovers would be able to call upon huge swathes of clubs that would be happy to visit the Friarage again, and I'm sure they'd make more of a day of it than us lads whom travel down in cars for the game, a quick pie and pint and then we're off.

I honestly think this is a discussion that we need to have as 50 clubs in the region to better our game. There's an obvious correlation that the more league games we've had it has had more of a detriment to rugby in the North East. Let's try something else for  a year or two and see if it works  ;D

Offline Calder

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2017, 11:45:46 AM »

Simple solution. Solid league rugby from 1 oct to 31 match Xmas and 2 rounds of county championships excepted. Friendlies in Sep. County cups in April. Straight knock out for national cup. No need to keep spare weekends for it. Just shunt any league games which clash to the back end.
26 games is not the problem, 26 league games spread over 8 months is. No one has any time or energy for anything else.
Nothimberland cups being played on the Saturday of Easter weekend shows the problem. It's a great day but shows very little respect for family life. Easter should be for touring and 7s for those who are happy to do so not for important games. It shows how league rugby has taken over and is killing all else. Few people with kids carry on playing now. No wonder when you are committed to train from june/ July. Start playing games mid Aug (county cup madness usually scheduled for Aug bank holiday in a bid to cause as many divorces as possible), games through to the end of April with the threat of any free weekend being taken over by a postponement and then for the better players county champ to end of May. 12 months rugby. Stupid.

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
  • View from the blue horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2017, 01:26:48 PM »
Calder talks common sense but I'd like to see at least one 3 or 4 week break from league rugby built in to mid-season somewhere rather than at either end.
There seems to be a belief among contributors to this forum that league fixtures are the key to bar revenue, and bar revenue is the golden key to success.
Firstly, league games don't do much for revenue below level 4. I reckon that a month of league-free, angst-free fun at our club would see an improved bar return, not a deficit.
Secondly, player recruitment and development are the keys to success and neither should be driven by cash.
If bar takings equalled success, Ryton would be in the National Leagues, not relegated from DN1!
Players who have to work the odd Saturday could get their shifts done. Those carrying niggles could rest. The rest would be refreshed. Coaches could experiment with fringe players or positional shifts. Teams could travel and build spirit.
I believe the upshot would be an improvement in the standard of league rugby. The constant grind of pressure rugby, in which no-one, including coaches and selectors, can relax and enjoy their roles, is suffocating our game.
I'm not demonising league rugby here; there is much to be said for the intensity and passion it arouses. Witness the fascinating final round of matches this season!
But I firmly believe we need (at least) a mid-season break, and mid-December to mid-January would get my vote as it encompasses Xmas/New Year and many postponements take place in that window each season anyway.

Offline davebarnes

• Senior Colt
  • Remember when Rugby was a contact sport?
    • View Profile
    • Westoe RFC
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2017, 02:16:28 PM »
For some of us, bar takings have no influence whatsoever.

Unfortunately the Rugby section doesn't see any of the bar-take, as this goes directly to the general club to subsidise the cricket section.
Bring back the ruck.

Offline Ashbrooke Lad

• 1st XV
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2017, 03:26:23 PM »
For some of us, bar takings have no influence whatsoever.

Unfortunately the Rugby section doesn't see any of the bar-take, as this goes directly to the general club to subsidise the cricket section.

When I was at Sunderland we had the same issue, the rugby section was by far the main contributor to the bar 12 months a year.

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2017, 11:42:25 PM »
Ashbrooke lad:
How is it that you use that name and yet post ''when I was at Sunderland...''
I'm sure there's a good reason, I'm just interested.

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2017, 12:25:44 PM »
He played scrum half at Sunderland for donkeys years.

Offline No. 6 to Middlegate

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2017, 08:53:25 PM »
This thread seems to have veered slightly from the original thrust of level transfer implications to whether the league sizes are correct and whether more capacity should be available to play non league games. 

Some good points made but remember it is just about a year since the RFU dropped their proposals to restructure the leagues which included reducing the 14 team leagues down to 12.  They did so because of the majority of Northern clubs were against this. 

As for filling the season with alternatives to league games there have been suggestions of more cup games or friendlies against clubs that used to be on fixture lists. For every cup success story (well commercially anyway) of Novos at home to West Leeds there are others where games have been cancelled or are far too one sided.  For friendlies I think there are 5 free dates in the calendar.  Obviously some are used for replaying cancellations or some cup games but when the date was free can anyone remember a friendly being rearranged at 1st XV level at DN2 and above?  There will be some but I'd bet not many. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 12:40:50 AM by No. 6 to Middlegate »

Offline Roverthemoon

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2017, 09:43:18 PM »
You talk a lot of sense no 6 but it's very simple talk at the same time!

I think 'we' all found it difficult if not impossible to find people/clubs, certainly in dn1, who wanted the rfu changes and even fewer whose opinions had been sought; Novos  v West Leeds was a bit of a fluke and, yes, where are the matches filling free weekends......... 

.....and the county cups once again have descended into farce, especially in Durham.

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2017, 02:49:24 PM »
We'll agree to disagree!

It seems I may well be in the minority, but it's a cause I feel strongly about.

Since 1996 (when the fixture list changed fully to league fixtures) I think its done more damage to the game in the region than good. Hopefully, one day there'll be a more viable option than the RFU's half baked proposal from 3 years ago.

Watch this space!

Offline atilla

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2017, 11:27:18 AM »
With regards to Level Transfer and the 'roolz', it may be worth checking the link below.

http://www.rfunorth.com/news/news3.htm

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2017, 10:27:08 AM »
I know the Lions tour is a different subject and there's a separate thread about it, but I think more people will see and appreciate this if I post it here too - hope that's okay Guv.
Check it out:-

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjPsJLO4LzTAhWoD8AKHYNKA88QtwIIIzAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DsB8lg11LdSg&usg=AFQjCNGNJxrM5vi2MGfO-uhhvAuUe3_vng&sig2=6CvEzusEWqH5vzJTPCiZWQ

Offline No. 6 to Middlegate

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2017, 09:06:07 AM »
Commiserations to Westoe on their loss yesterday.  I think we now how have 15 clubs to fit in a 14 team league for 2017-18 as below.  Whoever goes it still looks like a competitive league

Durham City
Guisboro

Barnard Castle
Westoe
Consett
Gateshead
Stockton
Gosforth
Novocastrians
Medicals
Horden
Middlesbrough
Hartlepool Rovers

Redcar
Ponteland
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 09:06:52 AM by No. 6 to Middlegate »

Offline Hit Man Hall

• Alickadoo
  • Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2017, 10:31:41 AM »
Commiserations to Westoe on their loss yesterday.  I think we now how have 15 clubs to fit in a 14 team league for 2017-18 as below.  Whoever goes it still looks like a competitive league

Let Medicals go to Yorkshire that will give them something else to moan about...
🏉 Sticks and Stones may break my bones but rugby does it better 🏉

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2017, 11:10:36 AM »
Going to be interesting as DN1 & DN2 both have 15 sides for next season.