Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Westoe vs West Leeds playoff game  (Read 3037 times)

Offline Snakey

• View Profile
Westoe vs West Leeds playoff game
« on: April 25, 2017, 01:18:11 PM »
Any thoughts on the game about how the 2 teams will match up with their respective styles of rugby? Predictions etc.

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Re: Westoe vs West Leeds playoff game
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 01:30:39 PM »
Westoe obviously have home advantage which will be hugely important. However, West Leeds backs are fantastic and will look to get the ball out to them; tie it up in the forwards and Westoe have a chance.

West Leeds will also have their eye on Twickenham (3rd year in a row....) so who knows.

I'll be optimistic for DN and say Westoe by 4 points.

Offline Nicknack

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 01:43:29 PM »
All the best Westoe from all at Barney :) Hope you do it. Think it will be tough, but if your forwards play like they did on Saturday you're in with a shout. Having looked on the Yorkshire Forum I think West Leeds are a already thinking they're up so it would be great if you could burst their bubble. I'm sure that you will do Durham and Northumberland proud.

Offline Mikian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 04:33:41 PM »
I was at the match last Saturday and watched a very exciting game; Both teams played with commitment and passion and cheers to Barny for a great game. This was a big boys game and with Westoe down to 13 men thought that was it, however determination to win proved otherwise.
This game last Saturday shows how Westoe soaked up all the pressure and youth, skill and fitness out did a good Barny side. The team are up for this final game and I cannot wait for Saturday, day and night ! We all know who have played rugby that it's all on the day; this is an all or nothing with a summer break to look forward too and am sure the lads will have nothing left at the end of the 80 minutes.

Good luck to Barnard Castle for next season.

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 08:49:13 PM »
Is it true the play off is this Saturday being played at Harton College?

Lovely pitch but a terrible venue for a big crowd. Keeping them away from the touch line is tough especially on the far side from the college building.

The pitch will suit the visitors too.

Offline davebarnes

• Senior Colt
  • Remember when Rugby was a contact sport?
    • View Profile
    • Westoe RFC
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 11:19:45 AM »
Yes, currently at Harton.

We've looked at finding alternatives, but any local venues are not up to the required standards.

Bring back the ruck.

Offline Ashbrooke Lad

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 01:06:29 PM »
Yes, currently at Harton.

We've looked at finding alternatives, but any local venues are not up to the required standards.

Dave, I remember we had the same issue at Sunderland when we were unable to host a North East 1 play off match against York on Ashbrooke due to the cricket season being underway. We had to play the game on Hillview, I hope that is where the similarity ends as with the last play of the game we missed touch and York ran back at us to snatch victory, a day I will never forget for all the wrong reasons  :'(

Offline MallyK

• 1st XV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 02:23:40 PM »
If you were at the game at Barney on Saturday Ashbrooke Lad that's exactly what happened to us last play penalty awarded on our try line went for kick into touch missed Westoe with 13 men ran it back and scored in the far corner. No hard feelings though cracking game by two teams that wanted to play rugby. Good luck to Westoe on Saturday hope you smash the Yorkshire boys keep it tight don't give it to their backs.

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 04:14:52 PM »
I know it's a long shot but what Kingston Park Dave?

Offline davebarnes

• Senior Colt
  • Remember when Rugby was a contact sport?
    • View Profile
    • Westoe RFC
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 05:14:25 PM »
We considered it, but it was decided that it was too far away.

Looking forward to the match and hope it's as entertaining as last week.

All the reports say how good they are, but they've not faced our annoying juggernaut of a pack yet :)

Bring back the ruck.

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 08:34:22 PM »
Yeah I remember it well!

If they don't have the ball they can't hurt you!

Offline Ashbrooke Lad

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 07:35:39 AM »
If you were at the game at Barney on Saturday Ashbrooke Lad that's exactly what happened to us last play penalty awarded on our try line went for kick into touch missed Westoe with 13 men ran it back and scored in the far corner. No hard feelings though cracking game by two teams that wanted to play rugby. Good luck to Westoe on Saturday hope you smash the Yorkshire boys keep it tight don't give it to their backs.
Unfortunately I was unable to make the game Saturday Mally, I read the report in the Mercury, you guys must have been shattered. Still it's been a great season for you and I have enjoyed watching many of the games, looking forward to the next campaign.
May I also send best wishes to Westoe, do yourselves and D & N1 proud !!

Offline stuartdm

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 09:19:14 AM »

If it was the last play you could have kicked it over the dead ball line.

Offline MallyK

• 1st XV
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 09:35:28 AM »
Exactly, just one of the few mistakes we made.

Offline Drunkon Rock

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 06:11:11 PM »
We've played West Leeds twice in the past 3 years, they are an impressive team. Have an ex Wigan winger who they will try and get the ball too asap, and a big 13 who likes a crash ball. Their best player in the old farts at Rock opinion is their captain an No 4, or was last season when we played them at Leeds. A wide pitch at Harton will suit them, they have loads of pace.
Good luck Westoe from Rockcliff, it's time a DN Team stuffed them !!