Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 15 Teams in DN2 next season?  (Read 3577 times)

Offline Marcus

• View Profile
Re: 15 Teams in DN2 next season?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 07:55:54 PM »
Level transfer only applies from level 7 up over! They can ask, but that's all, I cant see Blyth opting to do that!

Offline STEFRK07

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2017, 02:53:29 PM »
Update:

Blyth RFC have appealed the decision to relegate us from DN2 in favour of Acklam coming across on a level transfer. The county have been sympathetic to our situation and there has been a suggestion put forward that Blyth remain and Acklam are included, making it a 15 team league for one year with possibly three teams relegated.

However, this proposition will have to be agreed by every team in the league (or possibly a majority).

We feel like we deserve at least the opportunity to stay and fight for our position in this league. Hopefully the other teams will agree and we can crack on with preparations for what could be a vintage season.

Offline Texas10

• Senior Colt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2017, 06:03:40 AM »
What I find strange is when all clubs are talking about the demands on players to com out to high numbers of games already, we are hit with the the suggestion of adding an extra 2 fixtures?!??
its been said by so many people on here that the "modern player" has changed and is more reluctant to commit and travel more often.
Last season, We (Winlaton Vulcans) if I remember rightly had 5 free Saturdays from the end of August right through to April, even the most committed of players find this hard to be able to fulfill.

Level transfer Is a particularly flawed concept in my opinion.
If there is a difference in playing standard then clubs need to work hard to diminish those differences.
If the RFU want to remain with Durham and Northumberland leagues, then they should include teams only in those Counties, and let's end the yoyoing of some clubs back and forwards between them.

I appreciate that there are a number of clubs from the Tees Valley that this affects massively and this is not fair on them so the RFU need to give greater consideration to this than sending them to play in Yorkshire 1 then Durham & Northumberland 2??! How Richmondshire and Whitby are in D&N always baffles me??!

Equally you cannot move the goalposts after the season and relegate a club who finished in a position which they believed to be a "safe" one, just because another team need to be accommodated in our leagues because they were relegated from a higher Yorkshire one. I personally do not wish for the league to go to 15 teams, but equally I wouldn't like to see Blyth relegated when they managed to stay up.
I think this would be hugely damaging for their club, considering they managed to get a number of players to return this season who have spent some time away from the club since they were relegated from DN1.

Offline local player

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2017, 08:15:29 AM »
With Texas all the way on this one.

Cant see why Blyth should be relegated to accomadate a club out of a different league.

Also the powers that be need a look at themselves-were Acklam moved from DN to Yorks just a couple of years ago?

Offline stuartdm

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2017, 10:09:32 AM »
Level transfer is used in order to balance leagues - it's not a perfect system, but it reduces the variation in relegated teams each year before it began you had anywhere from 0 to 4 teams relegated each season - if  no team were transferred from DN1 to Y1 for next season there would be 3 teams relegated to DN2 and 4 teams relegated from DN2 to DN3 (assuming Acklam were still coming back).  For example, Doncaster Phoenix will be playing in the Midlands leagues next year and Penrith and Rochdale have been in North East 1.

Making DN2 15 teams adds 2 games for each team, but 4 extra league weekends, as each team will also have 2 bye weeks. I don't see how you could fit 4 more Saturdays in and still have spare weeks to cover for postponements due to bad weather. Not counting those teams in the National Cup who play at least 2 games in that. Whilst I do sympathise with Blyth after their tough season, if they had understood the regulations they would have known that finishing 3rd bottom didn't guarantee them staying up, also, unless another team has applied to join the leagues, DN3 also has an odd number of teams at the moment, 14 and 12 seems better than 15 and 11.

Offline rock25

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2017, 11:29:19 AM »
doesn't seem fair on blyth....why not promote Rockcliff into DN1 then no one is unfairly punished and the highest league is the one with the most fixtures which makes sense as they should in theory have the most resources etc. Slightly bias but seems a more fair outcome

Offline Drunkon Rock

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2017, 11:39:15 AM »
Agree with Rock 25, I like the idea of promotion !

Offline stuartdm

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2017, 11:46:26 AM »
The regulations say all leagues at Level 7 must have 14 teams.

Offline rock25

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2017, 02:14:59 PM »
is there a reason why Ackalm aren't going to Yorkshire 2 or was it not their choice?

Offline Silentassassin

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2017, 08:39:04 AM »
We are a dn affiliated club and have been since the leagues started (I think), we got forced into going into Yorkshire 1 for the 2nd time in 3  seasons, so going into Yorkshire 2 wasn't a option.
The most annoying thing is knowing that you haven't been relegated from dn1 but getting transferred into y1, we knee we'd be going to end up in dn2(we gave it a good go tho) , so can understood why Blyth aren't happy,  I can't see any problem with Blyth staying dn2.

Offline local player

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2017, 05:22:56 PM »
15 teams is far too big......28 games of rugby + cancelled games due to weather, add a few "free" weekends & xmas/bank hol breaks & you have one very long season.

& people wonder why social teams are disappearing.

Smaller leagues gives you a bit of play with the numbers so you can accomadate the odd level transfer.  Though it seems to be happening more & more.

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2017, 11:50:28 AM »
To be honest, even though it's mightily unfair the only sensible thing to be done is keep the league at 14 teams. The rules are clear that the number of teams to be relegated is determined by how many teams come down into the league and the only definite is that 2 teams are promoted at level 8.

No side goes into a season thinking they may finish 3rd bottom and could be relegated so check the rules! What would have been nice was if teams involved at that end of the division had been advised of the possible scenario given Acklam position in Y1 and more than likely relegation.

Then Blyth, S Shields, Sedgefield & Winlaton would have been aware that 4th bottom was the safe spot and 3 could be relegated.

Whatever the outcome good luck to Blyth next year which ever division you end up in.

Offline Asmallhob2

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2017, 11:42:39 AM »
I don't understand why Acklam can't have the choice of going into Yorkshire 2 or taking BBOB place in DN3 (same number of teams in all leagues as last year that way). Acklam are relegated on league position which is fair. They then have the decision, based on their own best interest, to choose between the  level of rugby or travelling distances. Blyth then stay out of it as they should be based on league position (regulations are regulations but the accepted convention is 2 relegated, nobody starts a season thinking 4th bottom is needed to stay up).

Offline Badgerbear77

• Alickadoo
  • Views are my own
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2017, 12:18:09 PM »
Acklam will be too strong for dn3... Yorkshire one is stronger than dn1, Yorkshire 2 stronger than dn2... in would expect acklam to challenge strong at top of dn2 next season.. I don't think it would benefit dn3 for them to play in it and effectively take a double relegation. Blyth will be better dropping regrouping and probably bouncing straight back up. Or they could have a play off?
Rugby is for everyone, not just the chosen few

Offline Silentassassin

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2017, 05:05:30 PM »
Why should we go into y2 or  dn3????
We didn't even get relegated from dn 1!! We got moved into y1 against Ower wishes, and even asked for 15 team dn1, which got refused on the grounds that they can only be 14 teams in a league.
So be interesting to see what happens with Blyth!