Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tonight's County Cup Final  (Read 1707 times)

Offline Pit Wheel

• Senior Colt
    • View Profile
Tonight's County Cup Final
« on: May 03, 2017, 09:42:09 PM »
Good final tonight. Two teams who came to throw the ball about and play entertaining rugby. In my opinion, both sides should be comfortable next season in a very competitive league.

Off the field .... surely there's something that can be done to stop Durham City (not always the guilty party, but very often) from taking the p*** out of the supporters coming to watch and charging 5 per person to enter an amateur cup final at level 7? The bloke on the gate peering into the backs of cars to check he wasn't missing payment from any passengers. Shameless.

In the clubhouse .... when I asked for my pint of fosters and the bairmaid started the pouring of my pint by swilling the lager around the bottom of the glass to create some sort of head, I didn't hold out any hope. I was right to be pessimistic. How does anywhere get away with serving beer like that?

Well done Gateshead and Barnard Castle ....

Offline LineoutGeneral

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Re: Tonight's County Cup Final
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 09:46:28 PM »
Can't comment on the lager but the admission to get in is down to the county as there's a charge for spectators at tomorrow's game at consett aswell. Although city do charge for home league games it's usually 4

Offline LineoutGeneral

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 09:46:51 PM »
P. S what was tonight's score???

Offline Pit Wheel

• Senior Colt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 09:58:28 PM »
The county dictate the entry fee do they? It's absolutely mental.

18-14 to Gateshead was the final score.

Offline Thebigfacthunt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 08:29:12 AM »
Good game tonight and totally agree with the charging on the gate.
It is testament to the youth policy at Gateshead that they started with 17 year olds at 9, 10 & 11 and an 18 year old in the 2nd row. None of them looked either overawed or out of place.

Offline Nicknack

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 10:38:03 AM »
Agree, it was a great game, played in a good spirit that could have gone either way, with Gateshead dominating the first half and us the second. Fair play to Gateshead for hanging on for the win and they did have some impressive youngsters on show. We did too though with two 17 year olds in the backs (13 and 11) and two 19 year olds in the forwards (prop and 2nd row). It bodes well for the future for both clubs. Next season is going to be very interesting indeed. Can't wait :)

Offline misterfacts

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 01:46:05 PM »
I think county members get in free to all Durham cup finals as long as they show their county handbook. Why not become a member?

Offline Honsec

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 03:45:57 PM »
Northumberland charged 5 per car and 1 per pedestrian at their Senior Cup & Plate final recently at Novos.

Offline davebarnes

• Senior Colt
  • Remember when Rugby was a contact sport?
    • View Profile
    • Westoe RFC
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 03:54:18 PM »
I think it may be dictated by the relevant bodies.

We were told we had to charge 5 for our play-off match (Proceeds split 60-40 with opposition)

Not sure what the arrangements are for a game played at a neutral venue - I would hope that the majority would go to the clubs involved.
Bring back the ruck.

Offline heirtothethrone

• Senior Colt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 08:22:32 PM »
Northumberland charged 5 per car and 1 per pedestrian at their Senior Cup & Plate final recently at Novos.

Not sure who you paid, but no one was charged to get in.

Offline Jobba

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 09:09:37 PM »
Agreed, I was also at Novos for final (3 of us and car) and we were charged nothing? We were asked to make a donation when buying a match program

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 09:29:21 PM »
We didn't charge, no. It was our choice not to.

Surely, it's better to get as many people down as possible to watch the game (especially  in such a historic competition!) rather than to make a few extra bob on the door?

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
  • View from the blue horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 10:23:56 PM »
Sorry but if you choose to buy Fosters and expect a decent pint of 'beer' you deserve what you get. Last time I was at City they had a very nice cask ale - now that IS beer.

Offline stuartdm

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 10:27:33 PM »
Sorry but if you choose to buy Fosters and expect a decent pint of 'beer' you deserve what you get. Last time I was at City they had a very nice cask ale - now that IS beer.

Agreed, they do Timothy Taylor's Landlord and Black Sheep Ale what's not to like.

Offline Cows T1ts

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 10:56:26 AM »
Have we agreed on who dictates prices on the gate? Is it the host club or the county? Who does the money go to?