Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Most improved team  (Read 2599 times)

Offline JackAsbery

• View Profile
Most improved team
« on: May 08, 2017, 04:32:06 PM »
Now that the season is over now is the time for reflection. So I ask who has been the most improved team this season?

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Re: Most improved team
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 05:32:31 PM »
lf pre-season predictions are anything to go by, l'd have to throw Barnard Castle into the equation. Lets be honest, way back in August, how many of us expected them to finish at or near the bottom of the table? The fact that their promotion chase went right to the very end of the season speaks volumes for how well they've done - compared to how well the majority of folk thought they'd do.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 05:34:18 PM by Neil Roseberry »

Offline batman1986

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 10:08:41 AM »
Barney is obviously the stand out unexpected performance of this season, Novos, Ryton, and rovers have both had a tough season not winning as many games as last season, always hard to tell if this is just losing a few tight ones or a dip in player calibre. The top 5 havent really changed with, consett boro and horden winning more than they lose, and obviously teams coming down being very competetive. If i had to pick a most improved gateshead would be my shout won 3 more games than last year and finished 5 ish places higher. From 4th to 10th only a difference of 5 wins, in a season of 26 games show that the middle of the table is a pretty competetive place and there have been a lot of good games of rugby with anybody being able to win on there day. What do people thing as been the biggest upset in terms of a one off game

Offline batman1986

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 10:16:25 AM »
Stockton have had a rollercoaster of a season, beating westoe and some of the other top teams, but losing to hartlepool, and obviously medicals twice :D Could be ones to watch next season

Offline Hit Man Hall

• Alickadoo
  • Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 04:33:38 PM »
Stockton have had a rollercoaster of a season, beating westoe and some of the other top teams, but losing to hartlepool, and obviously medicals twice :D Could be ones to watch next season

Stockton had a bad start but have won the last 7 games, yep have beat some of the top teams in the league with in some cases only 13 players on the park!! the only team to beat Barney both home and away. got beat by Meds. twice... :-[ although in the away fixture they did pay with 13 men most of the game and against 18 Northumberlanders.  :-X
Next season should be interesting Stockton have invested in some dummies with elastic lanyards to hand out..  ;D
🏉 Sticks and Stones may break my bones but rugby does it better 🏉

Offline jimm101

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 09:49:39 AM »
Just to stir the pot a little...

There are rumours that Barnard Castle are paying players (old and new signings) with the sole purpose to get promoted - Therefore the 'improvement' this season can hardly be unexpected.

But what happens when the money runs out... Just look at Darlington and their fall from the higher leagues over the past few years.

Offline batman1986

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 10:29:16 AM »
Errrr, not to cry fake news, but looking at some facts hitman, stockton won 4 out of there last 7. Impressive to beat barney home and away, shows that they should be competing high up the table, but need to be more consistant. May a recommend maybe instead of Dummies maybe an icepack or 2 ......

Offline MallyK

• 1st XV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 11:49:40 AM »
Rumours it boils my P--- when a club is doing well you come out with( they are paying players). Let me stop this rumour once and for all No PLAYERS old or new are being paid at Barnard Castle.

Offline doctor_nick

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 01:37:18 PM »
Unquestionably the answer to this is Barnard Castle….hugely impressive to be challenging for promotion.  Will be interesting to see whether they can maintain this next season.  After all look what happened to Novo's this season. Agree with the Gateshead shout also.

Offline local player

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 01:45:42 PM »
Gotta be Barnie-DN2 to nearly promoted out of DN1 in 1 season!

Offline Hit Man Hall

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 08:30:13 PM »
Errrr, not to cry fake news, but looking at some facts hitman, stockton won 4 out of there last 7. Impressive to beat barney home and away, shows that they should be competing high up the table, but need to be more consistant. May a recommend maybe instead of Dummies maybe an icepack or 2 ......

Like it.. nice one batman but I did get the bite we'll a small one, looking forward to next season should be a good one. Going to put the dummies on ice...  :P

Offline Hit Man Hall

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 08:33:06 PM »
Rumours it boils my P--- when a club is doing well you come out with( they are paying players). Let me stop this rumour once and for all No PLAYERS old or new are being paid at Barnard Castle.

Well said MallyK why would any club pay players at this level it wouldn't help the clubs finances, unless they are cash rich and stupid!

Offline Roverthemoon

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 10:46:35 PM »
Barney and money rumours have been doing the rounds all season

I was told about this by a Barney local pre season and I have no reason to doubt his word; he had no axe to grind and no reason to lie

Offline LineoutGeneral

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 11:25:47 PM »
Shouldn't be to bad for barney next year if the rumours are true that there pack is being strengthened with the signing of Chris wearmouth from blaydon. Not a bad signing

Offline bleeptest

• 1st XV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 08:07:42 AM »
Shouldn't be to bad for barney next year if the rumours are true that there pack is being strengthened with the signing of Chris wearmouth from blaydon. Not a bad signing
Surely they wouldn't be paying him..... ???