Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Most improved team  (Read 2598 times)

Offline Hit Man Hall

• Alickadoo
  • Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    • View Profile
Re: Most improved team
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2017, 08:57:47 AM »
Shouldn't be to bad for barney next year if the rumours are true that there pack is being strengthened with the signing of Chris Wearmouth from Blaydon. Not a bad signing
Surely they wouldn't be paying him..... ???

Chris Wearmouth is from Barney and he always said he would go back after his time at Blaydon.
🏉 Sticks and Stones may break my bones but rugby does it better 🏉

Offline Badgerbear77

• Alickadoo
  • Views are my own
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 09:00:54 AM »
I think paying below championship is farcical. Looking at where in know player payment has took place at some point (not necessarily now)

the north east club's where paying players worked out well: Newcastle falcons

Jury out
Dmp- though if you look closely at it I'm not sure how they are keeping afloat

Failed
Darlington, northern, westoe, novos, West hartlepool

I don't know if other clubs are paying or have previously paid or not.

I think the answer is to realise the purpose of grass roots rugby. All club's should attempt to have some sort of youth section and provide a level of rugby suitable to the level of player it will attract. The club will end up where they end up and more than likely be financially sustainable. Those shooting for the stars will invariably go up for a bit then meet the boys with proper money, their talent will go there for more money , they will start to lose... the backer gets bored and stops backing and then they lose more players and they end up getting smashed for a few years before they find their level again
Rugby is for everyone, not just the chosen few

Offline Hit Man Hall

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2017, 09:07:02 AM »
This is a separate to the subject topic, I have started a new topic, it would be good to hear the views on this.

Offline bleeptest

• 1st XV
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2017, 10:23:26 AM »
Shouldn't be to bad for barney next year if the rumours are true that there pack is being strengthened with the signing of Chris Wearmouth from Blaydon. Not a bad signing

Chris Wearmouth is from Barney and he always said he would go back after his time at Blaydon.

For a wedge!

Offline Hit Man Hall

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2017, 11:32:36 AM »

For a wedge!

I don't think so I believe he actually lives in Barney.

Offline Roverthemoon

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2017, 12:50:25 PM »
The fact that Wearmouth is from Barney is neither here nor there in considering the 'pay' point........

Offline Nicknack

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2017, 01:16:39 PM »
He began his rugby career at Barney as a youngster and then moved on to play at a much higher level. He has always said that he would end his career at Barney and hopefully that will happen. As Mally K says we have never paid a player and don't intend to and even if we wanted to we certainly couldn't afford it - we are a small club reliant on our bar takings to keep us ticking over and have no rich benefactors. Over the years our youth development set up has turned out an excellent crop of home grown youngsters - at times this season 50% of our starting line-up were teenagers aged 17 to 19 who came up through our juniors and min's and many of the older ones (early 20's) came up the same route.

Offline Richiearmitt

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2017, 07:43:31 PM »
I think this will fit into here as a subject.
My belief is that for the development of the game and the safeguarding of clubs across the country, that the game should be regionalised from level 3 down.
The Premiership and championship should be the only national leagues, with in effect D&N 1 becoming level 3. This would relieve the financial stress of travelling the length of the country every other week from many of the teams mentioned in this post, because not only are players being paid to play up the leagues but also for the time spent travelling.
Badger is quiet right that the payment of players is counter productive and leads to mercenary attitudes among players, with a changing room of finger pointing when things don't go well.
Should a miracle happen and my idea ever be considered, the potential for local rugby to be in the press and even tv and radio would be a great way to bring new bodies into the sport and also attract new sponsors to reap the glory of association with the champions of D&N Rugby with the play off final played at Kingston park in front of a packed stadium before a Falcons game.

But then again.

Offline Richiearmitt

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2017, 07:48:26 PM »
If Chris is being given a few quid to pass on his experience as a coach that is an admirable cause because that is investment in the future for the club, if he happens to pull on his boots at the same time all the better for the club.

Offline Pit Wheel

• Senior Colt
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2017, 11:28:40 PM »
I've heard tonight that Chris Wearmouth said himself yesterday that he will be receiving payment from Barnard Castle for his services .....

Offline Roverthemoon

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2017, 02:08:47 PM »
Hhmmm...........

Offline Inspirational?

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2017, 08:38:18 PM »
And good luck to him - the experience he will bring will be worth every penny in the development of the youth at Barney.

He would improve every team in D N1.

I wanted him and seems like I am not the only one.

Offline jimm101

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2017, 12:32:01 PM »
Maybe no 'Players' are being paid? Just 'Coaches and 'Player Coaches'?

Coaches voluntary or paid have more responsibility with specific regards to commitment than players and it often becomes a part time job which takes up 16-20 hours a week so it's no surprise when they want more than a pat on the back for it, especially coaches that come in from other clubs when the 'for the love of the club' argument is taken away.

Look, it's up to BC what they do, and good luck to them. If they get promoted next season by paying players/coaches, great - I hope it works out for them in the long term establishing themselves in the higher leagues. Each club to their own.. there are no rules against it.

Offline local player

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2017, 08:27:32 PM »
No problem paying players as long as there is a business plan thats not going to screw the club...

Needs to be a decent level mind.

Coaches-no problem paying them, having a coach that can play (particularly at the lower levels where every player counts) is a bonus.