Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Paying Players  (Read 3054 times)

Offline Hit Man Hall

• Alickadoo
  • Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    • View Profile
Paying Players
« on: May 11, 2017, 09:01:28 AM »
Question 1.

What would clubs get out of paying players? can anyone give an example of success in any which way, shape or form?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 09:09:36 AM by Hit Man Hall »
"Get the first tackle in early even if it's late"

Offline batman1986

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
Re: Paying Players
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 09:31:53 AM »
Far easier to just pay the Referee's

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 09:57:31 AM »
I've alluded on here before that I'm undertaking research into the DN league system over the past 30 years and my findings so far certainly do make for interesting reading.

An early hypothesis  is that payment clearly doesn't work. A perfect example was Northern, then in Area North (4th tier), with a plethora of great players. They strived for the big time to keep up with Gosforth. They couldn't afford it and had to sell off their pitches (they once had 6, now 3). Cue tumbling down the leagues.

Some would argue they didn't learn their lesson a few years ago and tried again to jump up the leagues, thus worked for a while, but  then they had to sell off their car park for more housing.

This is no dig at Northern, but only stating facts.

The counter argument would of course be Blaydon. They started life in North East One alongside clubs like Morpeth and Novos. They were arguably always a club of this standing, with strong rivalries with Ryton etc. You can pin point exactly when they started the infamous car boot sale as they quickly rose up the leagues.

If clubs want to do it, fine. But it needs to be sustainable. In most circumstances it isn't. Ask Westoe. I'm sure the Westoe boys will agree they're much preferring growing their own players nowadays and they're enjoying the grassroots ride?

Offline davebarnes

• Senior Colt
  • Remember when Rugby was a contact sport?
    • View Profile
    • Westoe RFC
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 10:00:39 AM »
Short term, unsustainable success which will kill the feel of the club, cause rifts and arguments between players and background staff, loss of continuity, an experience/skills drain, and will chase away many players who are overlooked - Often for players of lower calibre, but perceived to be better than they are.

Amazes me how clubs refuse to learn the many lessons from elsewhere and think that buying in talent is the way to go.
Bring back the ruck.

Offline davebarnes

• Senior Colt
  • Remember when Rugby was a contact sport?
    • View Profile
    • Westoe RFC
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 10:06:32 AM »
Oops, last post came up while I was typing.

Current year at Westoe has been one of the most enjoyable seasons in many years.

Currently running with 99% home-grown players (We have one bloke form Leicestershire who moved to South Shields for work)

We are going through a change in committee/chair etc and hopefully the new team will stick to the current formulae which is working well both on and equally as important off the pitch.

Anyone thinking of the quick route, have a chat with those who have tried and failed before - You'll hear the same things over and over, particularly about the atmosphere and social side (Both drop very quickly when half your team finish a match, collect their cheques, then jump in their cars to spend their earnings at their old club)
Bring back the ruck.

Offline Hit Man Hall

• Alickadoo
  • Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 11:31:08 AM »
I remember when Stockton paid players and when promotion didn't come and the money stopped all the players went to Darlington, Darlington went up the leagues then players got older and money dried up, the big tumble started, now look where they are.

I heard so many horror stories all relating to paying players. Isn't it better to grow your own youth and develop your club from there, Billingham is a good example.
"Get the first tackle in early even if it's late"

Offline Roverthemoon

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 12:52:03 PM »
Look at the loss to the game of Wakefield, Headingley and Roundhay, all financially related

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
  • View from the blue horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 03:53:03 PM »
Isn't it better to grow your own youth and develop your club from there, Billingham is a good example.

I have heard that Billingham's model is to pay someone who is ideally placed to harvest all the best upcoming talent from other Teesside clubs and schools/colleges.
I'd be interested to learn whether this is true - it may be rubbish, but I was told this more than once last season by completely different sources, all of whom were less than delighted about it.

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 05:31:00 PM »
I don't think any club can be "holier than thou" when it comes to poaching players from clubs around them. I guess the higher up the ladder you go the more it costs to do so.

Offline local player

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 07:53:31 PM »
The higher in the league pyramid you are the easier it is to attract people (without money).

My club, like all clubs have lost players to higher level clubs.  Most of us wished the lad the best & reminded him that we would still be here if it didnt go well.

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 11:29:29 PM »
Thats the best way to do things. lf players are good enough you've got to let them go and at least try to fulfil their potential. lf they go with your best wishes, there's always the chance they'll return to the club they started at and repay the compliment by passing on what they've learned to up and coming players.

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
  • View from the blue horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 12:45:14 AM »
Absolutely agree - but I'm not talking about established, promising young players going to senior clubs to chase their dreams, which is right and proper. I refer to the wholesale cherry-picking of the best talent from the youth sections of other local clubs who've done the hard work of recruiting and nurturing that talent.
Maybe what I was told was exaggerated or just plain wrong (a Teesside urban myth?), but I'd be interested to hear from those who know. Given one of my sources, it would be good to hear what Roverthemoon has to say on the subject.

Offline Roverthemoon

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 09:58:24 AM »
Rovers have lost several very good players either coming through the junior ranks or just out of that section over recent seasons
West Hartlepool and Billingham have been the main beneficiaries and there is a young man at Middlesbrough because we couldn't offer that age group and who bucked the trend by going to Middlesbrough where he seems happy. It's a pity he had to go down that route and is a different argument to Mugsy's
In fairness to Billingham they got to where they are on the back of an excellent group of home grown talent that is now ageing. What grieved me was to see young lads in the colts or the 2nd XV when they could have been 1st XV 'back home'

Offline Awayday fan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 01:30:28 PM »
Roverthemoon its hard when young players after playing junior rugby at your club leave for what ever reason to play senior rugby at another club. I live in Greatham Village  we have no rugby team so we visit most northeast grounds as just fans of rugby and have seen your team 3 times this year dont no if this lad has come through as a junior at rovers  but your best player on 2 occasions was a very young very tall Flanker about 18/19 and one for the future
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 01:35:43 PM by Awayday fan »

Offline Roverthemoon

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 08:45:37 PM »
You were right to be impressed
Some games he carried his adult team mates and will be an excellent player
Good on you for taking in multiple clubs, hope the Rovers play better when you visit next season