Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Numbers of Players used a season  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Gbh589

• 1st XV
    • View Profile
Numbers of Players used a season
« on: May 13, 2017, 04:01:36 PM »
I have just done Medicals stats for the season and out of interest how many players do clubs use in a season??

Medicals used 55 players over the course of the season for the 1st XV

Offline davebarnes

• Senior Colt
  • Remember when Rugby was a contact sport?
    • View Profile
    • Westoe RFC
Re: Numbers of Players used a season
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 04:24:25 PM »
Westoe  -
  • 45 players in 1st Team
  • 18 players 21 or under
Bring back the ruck.

Offline Roverthemoon

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 05:35:56 PM »
Off the top of my head 53 for Rovers 1st XV which might go some way to explaining a poor season

Over 90 ployed for the 2nd XV

Offline Teessidewire

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 08:38:13 PM »
A sign of the times, gents. Players don't want to play every week, especially when there's travel involved.

Offline batman1986

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 10:18:55 AM »
A more positive spin would be to say it shows how many good rugby players are out there that can play at DN1 level, if every club has 50 or so players able to play for there 1st team, what a strong place rugby is in.

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 10:57:33 AM »
Novos - 61 players

A nice spin attempt Alastair 'Batman' Campbell but I think it'd be more akin to what Teesidewire said!

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 11:04:38 AM »
Out of my own interest I just checked how many players Novos used during the first season of league rugby in 1987-88. We used 20. Yes there was only ten games but it's quite staggering really.

We played 37 games in all competitions that year. 7 of the 20 played at least 30 games, with 2 playing all 37 games.

I think it's likely that there's been a cultural shift across the millennial generation...!

Offline Hit Man Hall

• Alickadoo
  • Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 11:24:50 AM »
It would be interesting to know how many colts come through to play from each club, it's about time clubs contentrated on colt rugby and bring it back to Saturday games.
"Follow me lads I'm right behind you"

Offline batman1986

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 11:26:54 AM »
I agree there is been a cultural change, but 10 team 20 players each that is only 200 players exposed to rugby, compared to 20 teams with 50 players nearly a 1000. People can chunter on about how amazing it was back in the day, or realise times have moved on and people do more things these days and this gives people who wouldnt usual get the opportunity to player rugby at a higher level some great exposure. The standard of rugby has dramatically improved over the past 20 years, you only have to look at that video of Medicals cup final posted on here recently to realise the game has come a long way, both physically and skillwise.

Offline davebarnes

• Senior Colt
  • Remember when Rugby was a contact sport?
    • View Profile
    • Westoe RFC
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 11:42:34 AM »
"realise the game has come a long way, both physically and skillwise. "

Totally disagree with half this statement.

Apart from the very top (Championship/premiership), I think the game has lost an awful lot in physicality.

I'd agree that the skill levels and organisational elements have improved, but there's a lot of today's players who couldn't cope with the 80s style rugby.
Bring back the ruck.

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 12:01:13 PM »
One big thing I've noticed is the amount of players who will be standing watching games on a Saturday, some good players as well. For whatever reason they aren't on the pitch.

Following up on Batmans comments, I think the game has come forward a long, long way from my playing days. More tries, offloading in tackles and tight five forwards who can use the ball much more than in my day. It's not unusual for games to have in excess of 50-60 points scored with a more positive attitude towards attack now.

On the negative side players really don't like the rough stuff so much these days, hard tackles or players who get physically dealt with when they are in the wrong place doesn't go down well now. Lots of appealing is also creeping into the game especially as you go up the levels and not accepting when you've been caught cheating by the ref, we all did it (a lot), we were less inclined to debate with the ref.

Overall I like the game now but would love to see more involvement as I hate Saturdays when I have no game and that is becoming much more a regular thing I'm afraid.

Offline Teessidewire

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 12:07:21 PM »
Having 50+ players that have played at first team level doesn't mean that they are capable of playing at that level. I firmly believe that, apart from the very top level, the game has gone seriously down hill in the lsat 25 years. Numerous Clubs have gone to the wall and Clubs that were running 5 teams are struggling to field three. The game in the North of England is not in a good state.

Offline batman1986

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 12:54:04 PM »
I definetly agree the game has become less physical in terms of punching and stamping and general roughness for want of a better word, and some will think this a bad thing and some a good thing, depends what you enjoy about rugby. Rugby has moved away from a good fight with some rugby thrown in, to good rugby with the odd fight thrown in. I was saying that it has become more physical as in the size and strength of players at DN1 level. I would say your average player is far fitter, stronger and more skillfull than 20 years ago.
The days of small clubs having 4/5 teams out each week are probably gone, due to a change in work patterns but also the fact that so much more to do these days, people dont just play one sport for life they might well play 3/4/5.

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
  • View from the blue horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 01:25:26 AM »
Totally disagree with this delusion. 20 years ago the players were just as big and at least as fit - and given that there were lots of grafters in most teams rather than gym bunnies, there was more genuine strength too. The laws of the game have evolved to produce a more fluid, less physical game with more reward for being positive, that's all.
The skill sets of the players at local club level nowadays are poor by comparison, I'm afraid. I could probably name at least 3 or 4 players from most NE clubs in the '80s and '90s who would be good enough to play professionally if they were playing now. Many stayed at their own clubs then as there was no financial incentive to do otherwise and club loyalty was fierce.
To use Stockton as an example, think Douthwaite, Dixon, Howe, the Lee bros. Or City, who at one point had almost the entire North of England back line. Or Gateshead with Havery, Kell, Douglas, Tomes etc. Rovers always had a handful in the County squad, as did Westoe and Ryton.
Some individual clubs have, of course, seen a big improvement in standard - Consett, Barney and Billingham spring to mind - but the general trend is somewhat different.

Offline batman1986

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 08:42:38 AM »
I dont think im delusional, the clubs you are taking about i agree have taken a plunge in the rugby standings, and that is a different topic. If you look at clubs that have always been around the DN1 level, the quality of rugby and the quality of player has improved dramatically over the past 20 years. The quality of grassroots rugby and participation numberswise has got better and bigger, and people harping on about how much better it was in my day, and that rugby is going to the dogs, is utter rubbish. They just havent been able to see that it has changed, and that change is sometimes good. Saying that the leagues are too big and the cup competitions are a joke!!!!!