Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: DN2 next season?  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
DN2 next season?
« on: May 22, 2017, 07:53:59 PM »
What is everyone's thoughts on the prospects for the league next season? A few new teams have come into the league this year and I can see it being quite interesting. Also we don't know if it's 14 or 15 teams.

Promotion:

Acklam will probably be very close the top, Y1 is a tough league and they faired better than their last venture there. Hartlepool will do well if they don't lose their best players in the close season, very organised and tough to break down. Rock will be there or thereabouts but always seem to lose games they shouldn't and I fancy Whitby if they keep the same squad as they're a year more experienced. Can't see past those four to go up!

Relegation ;

A lot depends on how the promoted sides can adjust, last couple of years Aycliffe have dominated in DN3 but this league is a lot tougher and they won't have their own way, can they adjust to having less ball? Richmondshire came out of knowhere really and don't really know why, will the step up suit them? Sedgefield might find it tougher just because of strength in depth and they have a few teams around them who may pinch a few players or can they attract them to there? Ashington might get drawn in along with Blyth who should be stronger and Winlaton have lost their coaches so may be stronger or weaker? It's never dull at my club.

The middle of the league is going to be a dogfight, the rest are made up of some seriously good sides like Bish, Sunderland, Shields and Darlo and to be honest Acklam aside I think the weakest sides could still do a job on those at the top.

I think this league will be seriously good and competitive in 2017-18, looking forward to it.

Offline Drunkon Rock

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Re: DN2 next season?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 09:41:32 AM »
If Acklam are in DN2 then I expect them to win the league, agree with everything else Rene says, Pool will be tough, Ryton should have there injured players back and will be tough, Rock will struggle without a recognised 10, Whitby will be a tough match some good young players there.
As for relegation I fear the 2 that have come up may struggle, unless Rock recruit soon, they might be down there, and what sounds like is happening at Winlaton, the Vulcans might be down there 2.
It will be competitive and with 15 possible teams, a long season. Can't wait !!

Offline Flashing Blade

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 09:15:14 PM »
Surprised you think Rock may struggle. After last season I thought they'd be favourites to go up. What happened to the lad who played 10 last year - he was decent.

Offline Silentassassin

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 07:24:40 PM »

From RFU North website=

Background to Adjustment of Durham/Northumberland Leagues for the 2017-18 season (May 26 2017)

At the end of the 2016-2017 season, three teams were relegated from North 1 East (Level 6) to Durham Northumberland 1 (Level 7) and Yorkshire 1 (Level 7).
Two Clubs, namely Durham City and Guisborough were placed in Durham Northumberland 1. One Club, Wheatley Hills was placed in Yorkshire1.
         In the Play Off between the Runners Up of Durham Northumberland 1 and Yorkshire 1 to determine which Club was promoted to North 1 East, West Leeds won, resulting in the defeated Club, South Shields Westoe remaining in Durham Northumberland 1.
This resulted in Durham Northumberland 1 having 15 teams, with the result that a request for volunteers was sought for one club to Level Transfer to Yorkshire 1 who only had 13 teams. No Volunteers were forthcoming, so in line with RFU Regulation 13.2.11, Middlesbrough will play in Yorkshire 1 for the 2017-2018 season. As a result, both Durham Northumberland 1 and Yorkshire 1 will have 14 teams.
         The relegation of Acklam from Yorkshire 1, resulted in them being placed in Durham Northumberland 2 (Level 8), which resulted in this league having 15 teams, when only 14 teams are required.
This means that Blyth who finished third bottom of DN2, are relegated to Durham Northumberland 3. RFU Regulation 13.2.7 (f) applies. Durham Northumberland 3 will then have 12 teams.

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 08:54:42 PM »
Total disregard for DN rugby. It is struggling up here as it is and they've given Blyth two fingers. Here's to even more teams eventually falling out the RFU pyriamid
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 08:56:04 PM by TheGuv »

Offline Dan-the-prop

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 10:13:46 PM »
DN2 this season will be such a hard league, with 5/6 teams well capable of gaining promotion. The teams coming from DN3 will surprise alotnof people this season especially I feel aycliffe . A team well capable of push the top of the league. Should be a cracking season .