Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Guisborough back in DN1  (Read 4150 times)

Offline Bezz

• Shot to bits
    • View Profile
Guisborough back in DN1
« on: May 23, 2017, 05:31:32 PM »
From Ray Kelly Ref; N Yorks Sub Committee  last night.
Guisborough in DN1 - Boro level transferred to Yorks 1.
Not sure if  Boro have  appealed
' ...If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
  And treat those two impostors just the same...'

Offline olfaithful

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Re: Guisborough back in DN1
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 05:34:28 PM »
Good to meet old friends again Ray.
Would have been OK to meet new ones in Y1, but economics of travel etc make this a sensible position to be in.
Shame no Acklam in here as well, but I suspect they will waltz through DN2 after their valiant efforts in Y1 last season.
We Roam The Range Together

Offline bfg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 01:01:46 PM »
This doesn't seam fair when Middlesbrough havve already done a stint in Yorkshire1, Acklam have done two whilst Guisborough, a Yorkshire club, who can join the A19 south at the Tontine have not been in Yorkshire One even though they are a Yorkshire club

Offline No. 6 to Middlegate

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 01:42:20 PM »
This doesn't seam fair when Middlesbrough havve already done a stint in Yorkshire1, Acklam have done two whilst Guisborough, a Yorkshire club, who can join the A19 south at the Tontine have not been in Yorkshire One even though they are a Yorkshire club

On the other hand Guisboro' have been affiliated to the D&N leagues since they started, I believe, while Middlesbro' have been with Yorkshire up to a couple of years ago.  Admittedly both are geographically in Yorkshire so better one of them than say Stockton or Barnard Castle

Offline Roverthemoon

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 03:18:18 PM »
I'm sure Middlesbrough would consider an appeal if they 'won' the mileage count

There's also Redcar to consider of course as the third of a trio of Yorkshire clubs currently in the DN1 listing

The Tontine point is an interesting one since that just might produce a lower cumulative travel than Middlesbrough's. One for Number 6 to consider perhaps?

Offline Hit Man Hall

• Alickadoo
  • Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 09:23:46 PM »
Why cant there be 15 teams in DN1 to include Middlesbrough and Guisborough, and cover there home games with Durham Referees, seems like a better idea.
🏉 Sticks and Stones may break my bones but rugby does it better 🏉

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 09:26:01 PM »
It's a canny drive from High Spen to Guisborough mate

Offline Teessidewire

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 09:29:02 PM »

On the other hand Guisboro' have been affiliated to the D&N leagues since they started, I believe, while Middlesbro' have been with Yorkshire up to a couple of years ago.  Admittedly both are geographically in Yorkshire so better one of them than say Stockton or Barnard Castle
[/quote The whole thing is ridiculous. Whoever gets transferred doubles their travel, which is never good for player availability. The RFU needs to urgently sort something out re this rubbish. Last year Penrith were placed in North One East, which meant a long trip every other week.

Offline Hit Man Hall

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 09:35:33 PM »
It makes sense to level transfer a Northumberland side to Cumbria, Ponteland are probably the closest in comparison.

Offline Hit Man Hall

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 09:36:45 PM »
Medicals would be a good shout... :-X

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 12:09:14 AM »

The Tontine point is an interesting one since that just might produce a lower cumulative travel than Middlesbrough's. One for Number 6 to consider perhaps?

Apparently not.  Google Maps seems to show that the journey from Middlesbrough Rugby Club to the Tontine is 7 miles shorter than from Guisborough Rugby Club.

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 12:19:23 AM »
It makes sense to level transfer a Northumberland side to Cumbria, Ponteland are probably the closest in comparison.

The corresponding level 7 North West league to DN1 seems to be Cumbria and North Lancs.  The North Lancs clubs will be further away from Ponteland than inter Yorkshire travel. 

Offline bfg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 08:13:06 AM »
What about the factor that it's easier shorter and cheaper and less time consuming for the 13 other clubs in D&N 1 to get to Middlesbrough than to travel further to Guisborough

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 08:52:42 AM »
I quite enjoy the bus trip  8)

Also if in any doubt, arguably Middlesbrough's greatest achievement was in the Yorkshire Cup Final when they beat Roundhay (now Yorkshire Carnegie) 10-9 in 1976

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkshire_Cup_(rugby_union)

Offline rock25

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 09:09:52 AM »
if Yorkshire is so big is there not an argument to split the county? east and west or north and south? then get rid of all these Yorkshire teams from D&N. However i would also miss the bus trips... Rockcliff had a great day at Guisborough the season just gone