Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Guisborough back in DN1  (Read 3764 times)

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Re: Guisborough back in DN1
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2017, 10:36:54 AM »
I think the clubs who are always being involved in the level transfers and don't like the idea of being in Y1 are showing a little bit of double standards really.

Just looked and they ALL played in the Yorkshire cups last season. Why don't you want to be on Y1 then? I know it's tougher standard and more travel but come on, you are all Yorkshire clubs in my eyes.

Offline Badgerbear77

• Alickadoo
  • Views are my own
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2017, 12:06:42 PM »
I think the most sensible suggestion I have seen is to split Yorkshire league's into north and south. I agree though if your in dn rugby you should be in the Durham cups and represent Durham county in rep rugby... not yorkshire
Rugby is for everyone, not just the chosen few

Offline Hit Man Hall

• Alickadoo
  • Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2017, 05:04:57 PM »
I think the clubs who are always being involved in the level transfers and don't like the idea of being in Y1 are showing a little bit of double standards really.

Just looked and they ALL played in the Yorkshire cups last season. Why don't you want to be on Y1 then? I know it's tougher standard and more travel but come on, you are all Yorkshire clubs in my eyes.

Well double standard indeed you may say, but Penrith are in NE1 and they play
In the Cumbria cup! Why not send them back to NW1 and cancel the relegation of Durham City. That way Middlesbrough could also be in D&N1
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 05:06:24 PM by Hit Man Hall »
🏉 Sticks and Stones may break my bones but rugby does it better 🏉

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2017, 08:24:45 PM »
I understand the reasoning for wishing to play in DN divisions but when you are a "genuine" Yorkshire club playing in their cup competition you shouldn't complain when asked to switch to balance the leagues.

Offline No. 6 to Middlegate

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 09:18:02 PM »

Well double standard indeed you may say, but Penrith are in NE1 and they play
In the Cumbria cup! Why not send them back to NW1 and cancel the relegation of Durham City. That way Middlesbrough could also be in D&N1

I suspect it is because there is no space in NW1.  I imagine Penrith would also have expected to go back to NW1 but it looks like 2 clubs from that area were relegated from North 1.  Interesting that they have agreed to another season being level transferred though.  Normally it would have been another club. 

Offline Hit Man Hall

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2017, 09:29:36 AM »
I suspect it is because there is no space in NW1.  I imagine Penrith would also have expected to go back to NW1 but it looks like 2 clubs from that area were relegated from North 1.  Interesting that they have agreed to another season being level transferred though.  Normally it would have been another club.
[/quote]

Penrith volunteered to level transfer at end of 2015-16 season, they may have thought it was an easier route back to National 3N considering the opposition in NW1 with Kirby Longsdale thrashing everyone.

Renagade made reference to Yorkshire clubs having double standards in being in Yorkshire cups, I agree that Yorkshire clubs should be in the Yorkshire cups, being in the Y1 is a completely different situation why should they have to suffer financially and socially having to spend extra funding on travel, leaving for an away game at 10am in he middle of winter and becoming strangers to their own club due to being on the road for hours, most teams want to get back to the clubhouse in time at least before last orders...

Question for Renagade, which cup competition do you think Guisborough should be in (Durham) or (Northumberland)?

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2017, 10:23:52 AM »
As I said Hit Man, I understand the reasons for all the North Yorkshire/Teeside clubs wanting to play in the DN divisions, geography, time and cost being the main reasons as you've said.

They are however genuine Yorkshire clubs, they are affiliated to the Yorkshire Rugby Union and Referee Societies and play in their cup competitions. So when one of the clubs are required to play in Y1 my argument is that they can't complain as that is their competition, they are allowed to play in DN as a courtesy and they greatly add to the competition and are great clubs but this annual debate centres around which clubs feel it's unfair?

To be honest I don't see why they all don't affiliate to Durham play in our cups and get refereed by us while they are part of the "Durham" set up.

Offline Hit Man Hall

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2017, 07:32:25 PM »
I think there should be some definitive boarders, and if it means having an extra team in the league then so be it, I said in a earlier thread that the leagues should be smaller with D&NorthYorks1 as well as D&N1 shuffle a few clubs around and even play the league similar to the CANDY League where there is promotion and relegation mid season that would make it more interesting. Could even introduce something's like the top 4 clubs at mid season play top Lancs/Cumbria clubs, I believe the north west counties have a similar problem with boarders so could make 3 leagues over there also being Lancs, north Lancs & Cumbria and Cumbria.  Just a thought...

Offline Prioryman

• 1st XV
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2017, 10:45:11 AM »
Well bfg you'll now have to put up with Guisborough next season, the fixtures are out. I realise this will be deeply disappointing to most of DN1.  Sorry.

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2017, 04:35:53 PM »
Nothing against Guis or any of the Yorkshire clubs who get caught in the annual merrygoround PrioryMan and I suspect that goes for most on here, I would hate to be a club who gets caught in the terminal problem and I don't know what the answer is to be honest.

Offline Bigbill

• 1st XV
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2017, 04:39:06 PM »
Not so young man you are allways welcome at H/Peterlee.Ive had some great nights out in Guisborough as well so roll on next season.

Offline Bezz

• Shot to bits
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2017, 06:26:16 PM »
Well we're back anyway! and thanx for the welcoming posts in this thread.
' ...If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
  And treat those two impostors just the same...'

Offline olfaithful

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2017, 08:46:15 PM »
Get a bit fed up with explaining this every season.
The leagues are not organised on a County basis but by the North RFU Commitee on behalf of the RFU.
They are just using names (eg Y1 or DN1) used for convenience.
The County Cups are a different matter, being run by each of the County Unions.
So yes it is not unusual in various parts of England to be a member of a County Union but in a differently named league.
Bring on next season so we can bitch about the rugby.
We Roam The Range Together

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2017, 09:42:30 PM »
We need something to pontificate over olfaithful or the only debates would be the weekly score predictions. I agree, the new season can't come quick enough though.

Offline atilla

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2017, 10:43:14 AM »
As I said Hit Man, I understand the reasons for all the North Yorkshire/Teeside clubs wanting to play in the DN divisions, geography, time and cost being the main reasons as you've said.

They are however genuine Yorkshire clubs, they are affiliated to the Yorkshire Rugby Union and Referee Societies and play in their cup competitions. So when one of the clubs are required to play in Y1 my argument is that they can't complain as that is their competition, they are allowed to play in DN as a courtesy and they greatly add to the competition and are great clubs but this annual debate centres around which clubs feel it's unfair?

To be honest I don't see why they all don't affiliate to Durham play in our cups and get refereed by us while they are part of the "Durham" set up.
It wouldn't make a jot of difference though.
Level transfer is a league issue, not County.
All clubs in the Leagues signed up knowing the the roolz on league numbers and that level transfer will be used to balance the numbers.

It's interesting to see all the comments about how travel can be a pain across the D&N area and that it can have an adverse effect on clubs, if only due to work commitments and the like.
And yet, it seems some don't care a stuff for the clubs on the Durham/Yorks border area. Very much an i'm alright jack attitude.

Let's just suppose all the clubs who are technically/historically in Yorkshire, move over to the Yorkshire leagues. What would be the outcome?