Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A Change to the Leagues?  (Read 2843 times)

Offline Really​FatChap

• View Profile
Re: A Change to the Leagues?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2017, 02:46:20 PM »
I'm a simple non committee bloke. Though it may seem that that it's a bg ask. All we can do perhaps for the sake of the great game is ask. Worst case scenario we are as we are . Best outcome would a be a trial ruling/amendment to the rule at this level or local amendment to see if  such a move can result in more game time per player/ less cancellations etc. Anyone know how to get the ball rolling?

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2017, 09:59:42 PM »
Maybe have a word with your County Rep and see if they can get some advice at the next County Committee Meeting. Durham County RFU's next committee meeting takes place on Tues 11th July at Durham City RFC - unless you are with a Northumberland club.

Offline Jsp1962

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2017, 11:29:36 AM »
why cant 2nd teams join the leagues other counties do this but not sure how it works tho, if it keeps the lower leagues competitive why not !!!!!,

Jsp

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2017, 01:06:39 PM »
I would suggest in the first instance the League Secretary's be contacted or one of the officials.

Follow this link for contact details.

http://rfunorth.com/officials/officials.htm

Offline stuartdm

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2017, 02:42:48 PM »
why cant 2nd teams join the leagues other counties do this but not sure how it works tho, if it keeps the lower leagues competitive why not !!!!!,

It can happen if the Divisional organisation committee approves. It happens down South and in Cumbria - but it doesn't seem to work very well in Cumbria as there are a lot of cry-offs. 

All players must be registered with the main club and 2 teams from the same club can't play in the same league so a 2nd team couldn't be promoted into a league that their 1st team was in, and if the 1st team were relegated into the league the 2nd team were in the 2nd team would also be relegated (if there were no lower league they would effectively have to drop out of the league system).  2nd teams can't play higher than Level 8.

I don't know how they stop 1st teamers playing for the 2nd team if there is no 1st team league game.

Offline local player

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2017, 05:34:03 PM »
not a fan of 2nd teams playing in the league.  To me this would just create bigger clubs mopping up all the talent.

to me, the bottom league is to big, putting to many demands on teams with very limited resources.   Just getting a XV out is a acheivement most weeks let alone players in postion of players of any skill!

If you have 13 for a friendly you can ring round get a couple of players from other clubs to guest for you (i have played for WBR, Pont, Shields, Horden, Morpeth) & get a game.

And sometimes you get a bigger squad for a "friendly" against your local rivals (even if its their 2nv xv).  Local pride vs league fixture against someone you have no jhistory with miles away.

Leagues are great but not everything.

Offline No. 6 to Middlegate

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2017, 06:52:35 PM »
not a fan of 2nd teams playing in the league.  To me this would just create bigger clubs mopping up all the talent.

Couldn't agree more.

Offline Stevrich89

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 11:56:38 AM »

It can happen if the Divisional organisation committee approves. It happens down South and in Cumbria - but it doesn't seem to work very well in Cumbria as there are a lot of cry-offs. 

All players must be registered with the main club and 2 teams from the same club can't play in the same league so a 2nd team couldn't be promoted into a league that their 1st team was in, and if the 1st team were relegated into the league the 2nd team were in the 2nd team would also be relegated (if there were no lower league they would effectively have to drop out of the league system).  2nd teams can't play higher than Level 8.

I don't know how they stop 1st teamers playing for the 2nd team if there is no 1st team league game.

Football clubs do this in Spain, for example Barcelona have a B side in the league below them and they are not allow to play players that have appeared for the first team in a league game (doesn't count if they been played in a cup match). if we can for example have Blaydon's 2nd or 3rd team (this is only an example) playing in DN3 but allowing a little flexibility for some players to be allowed to get called up into first by having a cap  system of how many game players can appear in the first team (10 games limit or something like that).

and for the issue of teams from the same club cant play against each other, i can only suggest only certain clubs who have a really good set up and are high up in other divisions away from the likes of DN3 can only have the option playing for in the league.

Please tell me people can understand this as i know this may be a bit confusing and will apologize for any spelling mistakes or bad grammar.  :)

Offline centreprop

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 12:24:26 PM »
My concern with this approach is there is very little to be gained from joining the smaller clubs. As an example, why would you join Darlington for example when you could arguably play in the exact same league for Mowden 2's who undoubtedly will have better infrastructure, ability to attract more experienced coaches, and you have an opportunity to play for Mowden 1st XV? I agree it works in professional football but I highly doubt this approach is applied to grass roots football in Spain - just preparing to eat my words here...

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2017, 04:55:17 PM »
I don't agree with clubs being able to run 2nd teams in lower divisions, like has been said previously it will draw players from clubs who are up against it retaining players and preventing the inevitable bleed to more "popular" clubs.

I have no problem with clubs at level 9 playing unregistered players as long as it doesn't involve league registered players from clubs of a much higher standard. How you would police this I don't know but an example of this could be;

Sometimes a clubs 2nd or 3rd team lose a fixture and have a free Saturday, if a level 9 team have a league game but are short what harm does it do letting 4/5 of the players missing a game play for the clubs 1st team? I was thinking of BBOB's situation last season where they regularly had to play with 12-13 players.

Offline AcmeThunderer

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2017, 12:10:29 AM »
I would extend it even higher. If an L8 club can attract a guest player who is not registered at L7 or above, good for them.  To be honest, if any team I played against were able to have got an International to have guested for a week I would have loved to have played against them.  Most enjoyable match I ever played in was against West, in their pomp, in a Cup match. We lost, but so what? Gave us a chance to pit ourselves against better players and learn something.