Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: leagues reorganisation  (Read 10090 times)

Offline Prioryman

• 1st XV
    • View Profile
leagues reorganisation
« on: January 10, 2014, 02:51:04 PM »
Has anybody heard any rumours about reorganisation of the leagues ?

Offline John T

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
Re: leagues reorganisation
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 05:04:20 PM »
I know all clubs voted against it, surely together, we are bigger than the RFU, why fix something when it is not broken!!!!

Offline Rinky Dinky

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 10:52:02 AM »
what was the proposals, anyone know??

Offline John T

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 10:37:12 AM »
Smaller leagues, extra cups and the introduction of Cumbrian sides into Durham and Northumberland leagues so the Lancashire sides didn't have to travel so far!!!!!

Offline Rinky Dinky

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 11:15:48 AM »
I am playing in Div 3 at the minute, we have 12 teams which is a reasonable number. Our 1st cup game was the 24th August which we won, league started 14th Sept and we were also picked to play in the RFU junior cup. We have had 3 weeks free from rugby 1st half of season. If we win our cup game, we have no more breaks second half off season at all.

I have noticed this season a lot of lads work Saturdays now which weakens sides. I think the odd free weekend would help them play more games as the could rearrange shifts???.
I really cant see how another cup will benefit any club. As for travelling to Cumbria, teams our league barely travel 20 mile well.

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 12:15:23 PM »
I believe they would like to see smaller divisions like 4x10 in D&N, it frees up weekends so let's clubs field their strongest sides more often, invites some smaller clubs into league system (West End, Ravens etc). The biggest plus I could see would be it avoids the drubbings the smaller clubs would get! My club have put 100+ on two clubs this season in Div3 and we had a similar score against last season in Div2. The winning sides don't enjoy it and the losers are totally flattened.

There should be space to have some more social games against clubs a bit further afield as well.

Offline Johnboy

• Senior Colt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 05:42:22 PM »
I remember the old div four and it did help club retention. It gave the lesser clubs something to aim for and was more competitive. I can't speak fir the higher divisions but know a new div four would help the smaller clubs.

I agree with yous though. Can't see how trips to Cumbria will help us. Whitby and Guis are bad enough for some clubs.

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 07:08:11 PM »
I played in old Division 4 for the original Washington and there was some good little clubs back then, Belford House, Prudhoe Hospital and the old Sedgefield as well.

Teams like Jarrovians, Yarm and Washington could do with winning some games regularly and I'm afraid that's not possible. Its the same in all the Divisions, teams like Prudhoe, Whitby, Seaham, Ryton, Novos and Redcar regularly yo-yo to and fro. To good for one division and not good enough at the next one up.

The jump is always a bit too much!

Offline 88engine

• Senior Colt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 12:34:34 PM »
I believe they would like to see smaller divisions like 4x10 in D&N, it frees up weekends so let's clubs field their strongest sides more often, invites some smaller clubs into league system (West End, Ravens etc). The biggest plus I could see would be it avoids the drubbings the smaller clubs would get! My club have put 100+ on two clubs this season in Div3 and we had a similar score against last season in Div2. The winning sides don't enjoy it and the losers are totally flattened.

There should be space to have some more social games against clubs a bit further afield as well.

Erm, I would love to win by 100+ points to be totally honest with you!  ;)

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 04:18:09 PM »
Maybe the four league format may be better for the general upkeep of Level 9 and 10 within Durham & Northumberland. I don't think we'd be affected too much at Seaham as I reckon we'd stay in Division 3.

As for incorporating Cumbrian teams into D+N - no thanks. Fair enough it may cut down on travel for Lancashire teams but why should we hav e to be brought into that equation? I agree with Rinky Dinky and firmly believe that lower level teams struggle to field teams for away games as it is. Including journeys to Cumbria would make things even worse.

Obviously not a great deal of thought gone into that one where practicality is concerned. Couldn't imagine too many of our lads wanting to cross the A66 to Cumbria on a February afternoon when the sleet is blowing sideways. Barnard Castle is as close to Cumbria as I'd like to get to be honest.

Offline Prioryman

• 1st XV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 02:04:21 PM »
Do the RFU appreciate how far it is from Guis to Whitehaven and how long it takes....I've done it, it's almost a B&B job !  Travelling is not so bad for Lancashire clubs, I used to play there,  every journey is straight up the M6,  no Pennines !

Offline Rinky Dinky

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 08:35:54 PM »
Are the RFU going to pay for transportation? Some clubs couldn't afford to travel to Cumbria.

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 09:10:05 PM »
Well said Prioryman. They've got proper roads over there. Travel will be a nightmare if it comes to that.

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 11:04:27 AM »
Is this league re-organisation just planned for D/N and Cumbria or the whole country?

If the idea is to make a new RFU Cup I presume it needs to be the whole country...

Offline Teessidewire

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 09:39:56 AM »
Nothing wrong with the leagues the way they are. The game at lower levels has changed, a lot of players work on a Saturday morning and long trips with a late stay are a thing of the past. The idea of another cup with two leg games is also a non-starter. all that would happen is that any club losing the first leg at home by a lot of points would withdraw from the reeturn match, as happens now in the Intermediate Cup.