Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Poll

Would you like to see all Senior Cup Finals take place at Kingston Park on one Saturday?

Yes, I think it's a good idea.
11 (91.7%)
No!
1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Cup Finals Day - Kingston Park  (Read 1951 times)

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Cup Finals Day - Kingston Park
« on: January 09, 2018, 04:09:24 PM »
I've seen various people mention this on here in the past. This is something I may be keen on bringing up in the future...

Can I ask, what people's thoughts are on having ALL senior cup finals at Kingston Park on one Saturday?

The downside would be that the club asked to host the event will lose out on bar takings. However, £500 would be given to each club for reaching a final. What would people's thoughts be on this?

Yay or nay? (Poll attached. Please vote!)

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Re: Cup Finals Day - Kingston Park
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 05:08:53 PM »
It would also be wonderful if the Falcons allowed free parking for the day.

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 04:32:58 PM »
The more votes and (especially) comments the better, as I can pass on peopleís views at the next county meeting.

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
  • View from the blue horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 09:43:45 PM »
I voted no because I don't see the need; there are numerous local clubs with very good facilities who would be honoured to host the finals and won't charge a frankly ridiculous £250 per game. The benefit of the gate and bar takings should go to one or two of the clubs who have taken part in the competitions, and should ideally go to a different club(s) each year.
The Falcons are very keen to portray themselves as a community club with supportive links to the local clubs, and I might have been more inclined to vote yes if they made the ground available free for local cup finals. After all, the bar takings and percentage of the gate would easily cover their costs, and the pitch will certainly take no harm.
A large part of their income comes from the local rugby community and it's about time they acknowledged that.

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 09:36:27 AM »
I voted no because I don't see the need; there are numerous local clubs with very good facilities who would be honoured to host the finals and won't charge a frankly ridiculous £250 per game. The benefit of the gate and bar takings should go to one or two of the clubs who have taken part in the competitions, and should ideally go to a different club(s) each year.
The Falcons are very keen to portray themselves as a community club with supportive links to the local clubs, and I might have been more inclined to vote yes if they made the ground available free for local cup finals. After all, the bar takings and percentage of the gate would easily cover their costs, and the pitch will certainly take no harm.
A large part of their income comes from the local rugby community and it's about time they acknowledged that.

Where did I state that spectators would have to pay on the gate? I donít know where youíre getting the £250 per game fee?
The venue would most likely be free, due to the community aspect of good will/bar takings. In addition, the CB would be able to pay each club a fee for reaching the final; it might not be £500, it could be £200, but that was just an example fee.

In my experience, it seems to be the same 5 or 6 clubs that end up hosting the 'bigger' finals days (the Ďsmallerí clubs tend to have the 3rd/4th team cup finals). So it tends to be the smaller clubs that miss out anyway. By hosting it at one venue, could see most of the rugby community heading to one ground for the whole day. It would be a great experience for those players in 3rd/4th teams to experience playing at KP and Iím sure there would be many hundreds of spectators going down too.

The cups are in danger of becoming irrelevant (particularly in Durham), surely something has to change?

I respect your view though and there may well be plenty of others that agree with you.

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
  • View from the blue horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 01:06:10 PM »
Guv, you never said spectators would have to pay; where did I say you said that?  :D
If I were attending a final I would expect to pay a couple of quid to see it, in fact I have, many times, and I did pay. I'd rather see costs recouped in that way than KP ripping the County or participating clubs off.
I quoted the figure of £250 per game as that's what they charged Rockcliff to play there in December - I believe it's standard. So that's not speculation.
''The venue would most likely be free, due to the community aspect of good will/bar takings.''
....That is speculation!
If the Falcons are indeed prepared to allow the ground to be used free then I'd be for the motion, but if we don't know whether or not they would charge and how much, I would suggest this needs to be established before we are able to make an informed vote.
You may argue it's just the principle we are voting on, but that's a large part of the principle in my opinion.
The fact that the finals tend to be held at the same small group of clubs is perhaps regrettable, but a separate issue and not an argument for using KP.
I do agree with your points about getting a big attendance there and junior club players enjoying the experience of playing there.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 12:07:22 AM by Mugsy »