Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Second/Third team away fixtures  (Read 1956 times)

Offline Rinky Dinky

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Second/Third team away fixtures
« on: February 24, 2018, 09:11:06 PM »
Howdy everyone I don't get into rugby politics much, but feel I need to have a little rant. Our second team have a good manager in place who rallies the troops around him and cracks the whip to play games. I understand some players don't and cant travel because of work/families etc. It just seems to be every week, in and out now players just wont travel. This season for instance our second team have had only one home league fixture fulfilled. At one point we received a phone call saying the opposition couldn't travel, so the lads got in their cars and travelled yet again. What ever happened to common courtesy, you travel to us, we travel to you? I thought these merit leagues were put in place where any numbers of players travel and get a game? Obviously clubs organise food and rely on after match bar sales etc. I was wondering how do clubs/committee's act on this? I always make sure that my players have a drink in the club house after the game. Now I am really thinking of telling them to leave straight after, which is not in the nature of our game. Too be honest I am pondering with the idea of not letting the seconds travel away again this seaosn, until someone fulfils our part of the deal. Thoughts??

Offline Puddlejumper

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
Re: Second/Third team away fixtures
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 09:21:37 AM »
Interesting comments and I generally agree with you, I don't think players know or appreciate how much effort goes on behind the scenes to make games happen. We (Sedgefield Saxons) take the view that if we have 10 men then we travel and hope the opposition will help us out, they almost always do. In fact since forming the team a couple of seasons ago we've only had one team that wouldn't help out and that was discussed to death on the forum earlier this season. I think the culture of rugby has changed a bit over the last few years and there isn't always the same passion for the game as there was. Some of the lads arrange their weddings during the season for example, what the hell are they thinking ;D. The key is to make it as enjoyable as possible so that lads would rather be running around getting battered than going shopping with the other half ;)
Seriously though I do think it's a change in the culture. We are like you, we always have a pint in the oppositions club no matter what but the senior guys in the team have always made it clear that we expect the guys to do that.....it's the rugby way, so for us it's never been much of an issue. I guess the other thing is about making sure at your home games that the after match experience is as friendly and entertaining as it possibly can be. Sedgefield works hard to try to make sure this is the case & the positive comments we receive suggest this is the case. As to how you make the opposition travel that's a tough one, I believe it has a lot to do with the leadership in the club and getting players to buy in to the commitment needed but I certainly understand your frustration.

Offline Screech

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 06:03:11 PM »
We feel your pain. We really struggled to get second teams to come over to Barney. Now we’re competing in the Candy League this problem has largely disappeared thankfully. Now that we’re getting a more regular third team out we’ve discussed entering the Tees Valley Social League next season, but the main drawback to this was that sides wouldn’t travel to us when our 2nds played in this league and it may be a better option to keep our thirds as a purely social/Vets side with regular fixtures against the handful of sides that we know are happy to make the journey.

As for your situation, I don’t think lowering yourself to not staying for a pint after away matches and refusing to travel will help the situation. Clubs like ours need to set the example to others and if possible, use your committed player base as a foundation for improvement with a view to entering a competitive league where sides are more likely to fulfil their fixtures.

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 07:07:09 PM »
Now I am really thinking of telling them to leave straight after, which is not in the nature of our game. Too be honest I am pondering with the idea of not letting the seconds travel away again this seaosn, until someone fulfils our part of the deal. Thoughts??

The thing is mate, as a true rugby man with old school morals, this would be so out of character for you. Why lower your standards out of frustration. I remember when you were at the Harbour you always urged your fellow players to accept the hospitality of their hosts, stay for at least one drink and have a natter. This part of our game should not be allowed to die out because it truly embodies the core values of our game. Keep at it marra.