Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dreaded League Reshuffles.  (Read 8219 times)

Offline Smoggie

• View Profile
Re: Dreaded League Reshuffles.
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2018, 11:48:24 PM »
Thing is... it may only be 30 mins extra but thats an hour in round terms .. a club that has 2 teams or even one team might struggle for numbers for that extra bit of time needed... plus who pays this additional petrol? Most lads convoy in cars... money is tighter these days... when i played most work was weekdays though shifts were in place then so sometimes i couldnt train.. i was single and weekends were my own. Now lads work patterns are different and i genuinely believe time away is harder for players. Coaching now at a local level is ok time wise but whole days travelling with a young family with weekend work and a kid i only see on a weekend is a much bigger commitment and would impact my ability to do this quite a lot... doesnt make me a snowflake... i love my rugby and give a lot of my time to it. Travel is for the lads who want it but thats not to say there isnt room for lads who want to play closer to home because their circumstances dictate it. The alternative is to force players and coaches into more travel in league terms and potentially lose players who simply can not make that commitment

Money tighter than the 70's?

Offline Badgerbear77

• Alickadoo
  • Views are my own
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2018, 06:58:52 AM »
In some ways yes... The 70s was a time of one worker families... now both have to work. There wasnt as much to spend money on.... Employment was more certain and there was no such thing as a zero hours contract
Rugby is for everyone, not just the chosen few

Offline Teessidewire

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2018, 11:22:10 AM »
Itís already a problem getting a competitive team to travel at the moment, times have changed so much. Hereís an example, I was a Police Officer and 30 years ago was often able to get time off to play, then for 7 years I travelled with the first team in the old North One as team manager. Again I was able to get time off, or get up early off nights, but even then it was something of a struggle. If I were to try that now I simply eoyldnít Have a hope in hell.
D and N one isnít the greatest, but itís also not the worst and I actually believe that the standard has risen in the last couple of years. If players and clubs really want to travel, itís all there at the next League up.

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2018, 11:35:47 AM »
And boom goes the dynamite!

Totally agree. If you want the travel, hospitality, more league fixtures etc etc. Get promoted...

I think level 7 and below should be structured how the CBS and its clubs want to structure it. Be it fewer teams, less games or whatever. However, if youíre promoted you accept the RFU guidelines of 26 games and everything that goes with it.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 11:38:52 AM by TheGuv »

Offline atilla

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2018, 12:46:46 PM »
And boom goes the dynamite!

Totally agree. If you want the travel, hospitality, more league fixtures etc etc. Get promoted...

I think level 7 and below should be structured how the CBS and its clubs want to structure it. Be it fewer teams, less games or whatever. However, if youíre promoted you accept the RFU guidelines of 26 games and everything that goes with it.
But level 7 is already structured pretty much how you describe, albeit with 14 teams.
At level 7 you are still within County/Region borders..

There is already a mechanism in place for teams who wish to play fewer matches, odd how they choose not to use it.