Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dreaded League Reshuffles.  (Read 8513 times)

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Dreaded League Reshuffles.
« on: April 15, 2018, 11:41:22 AM »
Well it looks nigh on certain that West Hartlepool, Percy Park and Northern will be relegated into DN1. West and Northern are officially relegated.

It is a sad state of affairs for North East rugby. North One East might only have two DN clubs (Morpeth and probably Durham City) in the league next season as Alnwick look certain to go up and weíre not certain if a DN club will win the play off!

If DN do  lose the play off, there will be a league imbalance of two teams. So what do we think will happen? It seems likely that Guisborough will be level transferred, but weíll still have an imbalance of one. Iíd assume that thereíll be 3 clubs relegated into DN2...

Whatís your thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 11:42:35 AM by TheGuv »

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Re: Dreaded League Reshuffles.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 11:49:22 AM »
Two level transfers to Y1

Offline local player

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 11:58:24 AM »
Does this seem to be happening more & more?

Offline No. 6 to Middlegate

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 12:14:49 PM »
Does this seem to be happening more & more?

It is a consequence of Guv's observation above about less NE clubs being in NE1. 

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 12:17:21 PM »
It does, unfortunately not enough people play rugby up here now. Clubs arenít as strong as a subsequence most clubs have lost one side in the last few years, so no 4ths, 3rds etc.

The best players still migrate to a handful of clubs playing in the nationals but compared to Yorkshire in general we are very weak.

Offline Pit Wheel

• 1st XV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 12:22:37 PM »
So .... West, Percy Park and Northern come down. Acklam and Rockliff come up ....

City win the league and Barney/Consett/Westoe lose the playoff.

Gosforth and Redcar go down.

Boro also have the choice to be level transferred back I believe (correct me if Iím wrong). So letís assume theyíll take that opportunity.

West
Percy Park
Northern
Boro
Barney
Consett
Westoe
Horden
Gateshead
Guisborough
Rovers
Stockton
Novos
Medicals
Ponteland
Acklam
Rockliff

So we need rid of 3 of those 17 teams. Boro and Acklam can't go because they've been level transferred recently and are exempt.

I make it Guisborough, Stockton and West! Ouch!

But is there a chance Barney could be sucked into it? Thereís also the chance Whitby could overtake Rockliff and condemn themselves to life in Y1.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 12:24:10 PM by Pit Wheel »

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 12:35:08 PM »
So .... West, Percy Park and Northern come down. Acklam and Rockliff come up ....

City win the league and Barney/Consett/Westoe lose the playoff.

Gosforth and Redcar go down.

Boro also have the choice to be level transferred back I believe (correct me if Iím wrong). So letís assume theyíll take that opportunity.

West
Percy Park
Northern
Boro
Barney
Consett
Westoe
Horden
Gateshead
Guisborough
Rovers
Stockton
Novos
Medicals
Ponteland
Acklam
Rockliff

So we need rid of 3 of those 17 teams. Boro and Acklam can't go because they've been level transferred recently and are exempt.

I make it Guisborough, Stockton and West! Ouch!

But is there a chance Barney could be sucked into it? Thereís also the chance Whitby could overtake Rockliff and condemn themselves to life in Y1.

I agree with most of the above except believe Barney will have a lower total mileage than West.  However should Barney get promoted as champions (looking less likely) then West would be in the mix.

Whitby getting promoted would probably put them in a position to be level transferred. 

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 12:43:12 PM »
I think there will be a few clubs hoping Whitby snaffle the number 2 spot and claim one of the level transfer spots!

Offline Passed it

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 05:35:18 PM »
Never thought I would see the chance of Whitby being in Y1, they would find it tough in Y2

Offline Hit Man Hall

• Alickadoo
  • Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 08:35:05 PM »
Y1 is a tough league as is NE1 with more travelling and extra costs, Y1 may be a better placement there is less chance of promotion to NE1, one season hopefully surviving in Y1 then use the rule to automatically transfer back to DN1, the experience in Y1 would put you in a better place for the return to DN1. BUT with all the experience of Y1 you could end up getting promoted to NE1. Most promotions end up coming right back down the following year anyway!

Phew who want promotion to NE1?
"Get the first tackle in early even if it's late"

Offline olfaithful

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 09:31:51 AM »
Having had a couple of seasons in N1E, yes the travel can be a problem with some player availability issues (we are only amateurs after all), a major problem is injuries.
The opposition are much bigger and frankly skillfull as well and you get big hits in the tackles.
Lost quite a few players in 2 years with serious injuries. A big squad is deffo a requirement in N1E.
Any club transferred to Y1 will find the same travel and time issues especially across to West Yorks.
I played (many years ago before leagues) in East Yorks and the travel across to say, Halifax (before Motorways) was always a problem with 11 am starts.
Still remember many times having to change on the bus whilst still travelling. Oh what fun - wish I was still a player.
Anyone considered the possible issue of say 2 clubs transferred to Y1 then getting relegated to Div 2 and then transferred back to DN - Div 2
DN2 could then have 14 clubs in it and Y2 only 10 !!!!
Presume more clubs would have to be relegated (??? or not) and also 2 more promoted from Y3 to Y2.
Anyway, the North Organising Committee will sort it out "for the good of the game"
We Roam The Range Together

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 10:02:00 AM »
I think there will be a few clubs hoping Whitby snaffle the number 2 spot and claim one of the level transfer spots!

While Whitby and Guisboro' won't like the travel implications outlined by olfaithful above there is a certain appropriateness in clubs geographically in Yorkshire transferring to a Yorkshire league.

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 10:06:18 AM »
Olfaithful, you've raised some pertinent points.

As a side note, my dad an I have compiled a detailed and comprehensive report into the health of senior rugby in the North East. This is based on DN clubs' league standings since the start of league rugby.

Following this weekend's league results which have seen Northern and West Hartlepool relegated, and Percy Park on the brink, we have sent the report to the county, rather than wait for the end of the (elongated) season.

The report is rather rough around the edges, as we wanted to send it off ASAP. However, we think it paints a good picture, albeit bleak, of how the overall position of our clubs in the leagues is diminishing.

I personally hope it could see some change, or at least start a discussion, as to how rugby is being played in the North East...

Offline Exciled Dragon

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 10:34:29 AM »
Rather than transferring teams to the Yorkshire league, particularly if one of them is going to be travelling from Hartlepool, an alternative would be rebalancing the numbers in the DN divisions. DN3 currently only has 11 active teams.

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 11:14:57 AM »
Rather than transferring teams to the Yorkshire league, particularly if one of them is going to be travelling from Hartlepool, an alternative would be rebalancing the numbers in the DN divisions. DN3 currently only has 11 active teams.

So are you proposing to the RFU there is

1 less (or no) level transfer from DN1 to Y1
2 something happens to plug the gap(s) in Y1
3 more relegation from DN1 to DN2 to DN3
4 something else