Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dreaded League Reshuffles.  (Read 9137 times)

Offline Badgerbear77

• Alickadoo
  • Views are my own
    • View Profile
Re: Dreaded League Reshuffles.
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2018, 04:11:07 PM »
Under no circumstances should we be even considering joining up with Cumbria... We cant get lads to travel an hour away never mind 2 or 3. This will potentially kill of grass roots game in smaller clubs across Durham and Northumberland. For me the answer is to reduce league numbers to about 10 and have meaningful cups - The Cup games could involve more travel as they are one off fixtures and more likely to get lads keen. More cross border cup competitions potentially. RFU north cup for example involving Cumbrian clubs as well as Durham and Northumberland could be interesting at each level.

We cant allow it to happen to bail out the RFU. Lancs have made a stand... Don't let your clubs suffer the fallout.
Rugby is for everyone, not just the chosen few

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2018, 05:13:51 PM »
I would make the leagues at L8 below very local, practically Durham and Northumberland seperately and like badger said no more than 10 in each division. Looking at the teams that are around at the moment you could have;

DN3 North; Blyth, Seghill, P & S, Border Park, Ravens, Wallsend, West End, Houghton, Jarrovians

DN3 South; Yarm, Seaton Carew, N Aycliffe, Richmond, Tech, Seaham, CLS, Redcar, BBOB

Top two in each league play off with one promoted

DN2 North: Ashington, Gosforth, North Shields, Rock, Winlaton, Ryton, Ponteland, Medicals

DN2 South: Hartlepool, Sedgefield, Darlo, Bishop, Redcar, South Shields, Sunderland, Whitby, Horden

Winners of each league play off, one goes up

DN1; Northern, City, West H, Westoe, Novos, Stockton, Barney, Gateshead, Rovers, Acklam

One up

18 league games and re-do the county cups as a competition thats played during a 4-6 window like the top level do now. Maybe as small leagues then s/f and final. Have a finals day so all games (Cup, Bowl, Plate etc)at 1 venue, consecutively and have things on for families etc to try and increase participation.

It's harder to move between the leagues instead of two up two down as it is now, clubs might start to look beyond just the 1stXV and get 2nd and 3rd teams playing more often. More participation means bigger squads and a stronger game I think it's got to the point where it feels like only the 1st team matters and players have just switched off.....not all clubs but a lot are like this.

Offline atilla

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2018, 05:18:26 PM »
Under no circumstances should we be even considering joining up with Cumbria... We cant get lads to travel an hour away never mind 2 or 3. This will potentially kill of grass roots game in smaller clubs across Durham and Northumberland. For me the answer is to reduce league numbers to about 10 and have meaningful cups - The Cup games could involve more travel as they are one off fixtures and more likely to get lads keen. More cross border cup competitions potentially. RFU north cup for example involving Cumbrian clubs as well as Durham and Northumberland could be interesting at each level.

We cant allow it to happen to bail out the RFU. Lancs have made a stand... Don't let your clubs suffer the fallout.
Lancs made a stand predominantly based on the travel to the far reaches of Cumbria.

Offline Hit Man Hall

• Alickadoo
  • Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2018, 06:30:47 PM »
I believe this was a topic discussion on another thread, my view was and still is to revert to the proposal the RFU put forward in 2013, I understand that Lancashire were against it but now have broke away into merit leagues at Level 7 and below, I refereed Heaton moor vs Littleborough yesterday and was as good if not better than D&N1, I spoke to a few of the lads who said they found it difficult to travel up to Cumbria so opted for merit leagues with no promotion prospects! Not sure if it would work in D&N or in Cumbria?
"Get the first tackle in early even if it's late"

Offline Smoggie

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2018, 06:02:45 PM »
'Cut the leagues, cut the travel'...doesn't anyone want to play rugby between September and April anymore? Cups are no solution as can be seen by the number of cry-offs this season. I feel for the Cumbrian clubs who now have a very limited league due to their Lancastrian neighbours who refused to travel for 2 hours 3 or 4 times a season. Sort of thing you expect from the wrong side of the Pennines though!

Offline Teessidewire

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2018, 06:33:18 PM »
Sorry, but the fact is that players either donít want to travel or canít travel due to shift work etc. The days when Clubs regularly travelled for 2-3 hours for a game are long gone at this level.

Offline Badgerbear77

• Alickadoo
  • Views are my own
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2018, 06:56:08 PM »
Yes cut the leagues and travel... how many visiting teams stay back longer than an hour anyway. 26 league games is 6 months of rugby... add cups on top and thats where the apathy comes in.

What im talking about is an 18 game league season add in a meaningful county cup with bowl and shield opportunities creates another 3 fixtures minimum. Optuons for traditional friendlies if you want more. A meaningful national cup where youncould play out of area amd probably look forward to a bus trip. The world gentlemen has changed
Rugby is for everyone, not just the chosen few

Offline Smoggie

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2018, 11:58:15 PM »
The modern player, lovely lads though those I speak to are, seem to think they are the first generation to have jobs and families!

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2018, 04:51:35 PM »
EXACTLY.

Offline atilla

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2018, 05:28:51 PM »
The modern player, lovely lads though those I speak to are, seem to think they are the first generation to have jobs and families!
The same ones who think the club magically funds itself and the upkeep is done by the magic fairies so all they have to do is tip up and play - as and when it suits them.

Offline redredwine

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2018, 03:06:21 PM »
As one who sits the other side of the Pennines ,i.e to the west ,I follow this forum with interest especially we have been levelled transferred between the North East and North West  over the last few years .The situation with the Cumbria clubs is quite simple ;at Level 7 they were shafted by Lancashire.19 Lancs clubs declared UDI and now play in merit leagues for which there is no promotion from Division 1. So a decent team can win that league by a mile and can't go anywhere..think what that does for players with ambition .I agree that at Level 8 and below then regional leagues are viable and probably realistic .At that level nobody wants to travel.Some of the Clubs in west Cumbria get a nose bleed if they have to come east of Cockermouth!
But before everybody gets excited about closed leagues at level 7 just consider the new Cumbria 1 League 8. Teams in it play each other home and away before Christmas .It then splits into two conferences ,top 4 and bottom 4 ,who then play each other home and away then there's  a cup competition .The the top 2 play each other in a play off for promotion .So lets look at a local derby... e.g;Aspatria v Wigton .Two proud clubs with a great history .They could play against each other SIX times in a season .Great news for sponsorship ,player, and spectator interest .
And you know what the daftest thing is? The aforementioned Lancs first teams won't travel to Cumbria but their second and third teams do in the Halbro North West leagues .Not only the Seconds and thirds but the Lancs Colts teams will also play in Cumbria .
So anybody tell me the answer to that ? 

Offline No. 6 to Middlegate

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2018, 12:24:59 AM »
"So anybody tell me the answer to that ? "

Err no. But it would appear to be a potential argument in trying to achieve some rapprochement with the Lancashire clubs.

Thanks for your views and I do have a lot of sympathy for the state that the Cumbria clubs are in at Level 7 and below with 8 team leagues being a bit 'stale' in the variety of clubs played.  However I have confess this sympathy would not, in my own personal view, extend to volunteering Durham & Northumberland leagues to merge with Cumbria. 
Nothing personal but the travelling is just too much compared to what we are used to.  Sorry.

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2018, 06:46:39 AM »
Iím not against the top 3/4 Cumbrian sides being included at level 7, leaving level 8 and below still At Cumbria and DN only

Offline Smoggie

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2018, 08:13:56 AM »
Iím not against the top 3/4 Cumbrian sides being included at level 7, leaving level 8 and below still At Cumbria and DN only

Sensible. You're probably only looking at Keswick, Aspatria and Wigton anyway - hardly serious travel from the NE.

Offline Teessidewire

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2018, 09:03:45 AM »
Simply canít agree. Problem 1, you have to accommodate these teams, if weíre looking to reduce the number of games AND accommodate these 3 teams, then almost half of D and N 1 gets relegated. Problem 2. We have enough problem with Clubs trying to get players to travel North of the Tyne, or South of the Tess, so getting players to go over the A66 will create major problems. Problem 3, it creates another split in the leagues and why on earth should we inherit a problemthat Lancs and Cheshire canít solve. Problem 4, what happens after the first season when the top side in the Cumbria Level 8 gets promoted? We are just creating a problem, not solving one.
I thought we were looking at reducing travel, not adding to it.