Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lancashire leading the way?  (Read 4839 times)

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Lancashire leading the way?
« on: May 04, 2018, 12:11:53 AM »
https://twitter.com/lancashirerugby/status/991769243090931712?s=21

It looks like some Lancashire clubs are going to leave the RFU structure. Fair play to them!

Offline No. 6 to Middlegate

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Re: Lancashire leading the way?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 09:37:45 AM »
Goodness.  Pretty radical stuff. 

Offline flish

• 1st XV
  • Ref more than I play
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 12:46:14 PM »
Not predicting any winners :-(

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
  • View from the blue horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 12:59:27 PM »
If this does actually go ahead it will be fascinating!
Where do they get their refs from? What happens to the sides that would've been promoted and relegated - is the league ring-fenced? If so, it's a moderately high standard of Rugby now, but will good players want to continue to play in a closed-shop league?
Will the players be willing to play without RFU insurance? If insurance is to be sought independently, from whom? Will it cost individuals?
Who disciplines red carded players?
Will RFU youth coaches be forced to boycott the clubs?
Will they form their own Cup competitions, as they will no longer qualify for the Lancashire Cups?
Have they realised the full implications? I've thrown a few points out there off the top of my head, but there will be many more.

Offline flish

• 1st XV
  • Ref more than I play
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 01:05:48 PM »
Minis and Juniors and any other secondary teams, where do they fit, do they lose out on fixtures / insurance etc, etc

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 03:30:58 PM »
If this does actually go ahead it will be fascinating!
Where do they get their refs from? What happens to the sides that would've been promoted and relegated - is the league ring-fenced? If so, it's a moderately high standard of Rugby now, but will good players want to continue to play in a closed-shop league?
Will the players be willing to play without RFU insurance? If insurance is to be sought independently, from whom? Will it cost individuals?
Who disciplines red carded players?
Will RFU youth coaches be forced to boycott the clubs?
Will they form their own Cup competitions, as they will no longer qualify for the Lancashire Cups?
Have they realised the full implications? I've thrown a few points out there off the top of my head, but there will be many more.

It’s an initiative being driven by Lancashire RFU. Those clubs wish to leave the league structure due to travel to Cumbria. I personally can see this working rather well. The ring fencing is a shame but I think most clubs will buy into it.

All clubs will still therefore be in the LRFU county cups etc.

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 08:24:33 PM »
I reffed a couple of games in the North Lancs/Cumbria league last season and listening to the visitors who were Bolton @ Hawcoat Park (Barrow) and Tarleton (Preston) @ Aspatria and on both occasions it was a 3 hours trip. Bearing in mind that they also had trips to Wigton, Keswick and now Upper Eden to add to that you can see how they can’t enjoy it. It is level 7 after all, it’s not beyond the realms of possibilities that the Cumbria sides get thrown in with Durham and Northumberland.

Offline Badgerbear77

• Alickadoo
  • Views are my own
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 08:32:28 AM »
Here is the Lancs Statement which answers some questions raised, I was talking to some of their County lads last week at the Durham Game... Basically they are creating Merit leagues so they still get RFU support - which to me is a little bit like having your cake and eating it... Im not sure how RFU will react but its gonna be a logistics issue for them as the whole league set up is going to need looking at (High time really)

A meeting held at Wigan RUFC on 2nd May has resulted in 24 Lancashire Clubs
proposing to resign from the RFU English Clubs Championship.
At the behest of several clubs a 2 league structure has been developed to
accommodate these clubs and assist them in playing more local rugby against
clubs within Lancashire RFU.
Lancashire RFU have not coerced clubs, we have only provided a conduit to what
clubs asked us to help with.
The clubs who intend to resign are all either level 7, 8 & 9. There will be
promotion/relegation between these two leagues but not out of them as they
lie outside the RFU structure.
These ‘Lancashire Leagues’ for club First XVs will be deemed by the RFU to be of Merit
table format and therefore clubs will:-
• Retain either their voting or none voting membership of the Union.
• Be held accountable to the Rules & Regulations of the RFU
• Covered by insurance policies put in place for all clubs in the Union.
• Be eligible to apply for any funding streams available to all clubs within
the Union without prejudice.
• Be eligible for assistance from area & local RFU staff.
An organising committee of 5 members from the clubs involved has been formed and
they will set down regulations for the league going forwards. Clubs will also be Subject
To the same disciplinary regulations as for all clubs in the Union, locally under the
jurisdiction of the Lancashire Disciplinary Committee.
As a Constituent Body of the RFU Lancashire will continue to support all our clubs
whether in the Lancashire leagues or remaining in the RFU English Clubs Championship
in the same equitable manner.
David Herriman Mark Downs
Chairman Hon. Secretary
Rugby is for everyone, not just the chosen few

Offline stuartdm

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 09:47:47 AM »
I reffed a couple of games in the North Lancs/Cumbria league last season and listening to the visitors who were Bolton @ Hawcoat Park (Barrow) and Tarleton (Preston) @ Aspatria and on both occasions it was a 3 hours trip. Bearing in mind that they also had trips to Wigton, Keswick and now Upper Eden to add to that you can see how they can’t enjoy it. It is level 7 after all, it’s not beyond the realms of possibilities that the Cumbria sides get thrown in with Durham and Northumberland.

Well looking at Google maps: Tarleton to Aspatria is 2 hours 3mins, Hartlepool to Aspatria is 2 hours 11 (along the A66 which is often blocked in winter)

Bolton to Hawcoat Park is 1 hour 38 - Stockton to Hawcoat Park is 2 hours 15 - again across the A66 and WBR to Hawcoat Park is 2 hours 47.

So it would be worse for us than it is for Lancashire clubs

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 10:27:22 AM »
This will be a nightmare for the North Competitions Committee who seem to have a scheduled meeting on 15 May.   The Level Transfer considerations for DN1 to Y1 will be simples in comparison. 

If the driving factor for the 'breakaway' was that 20 clubs didn't like travelling to Cumbria presumably this means that those remaining clubs in the rejigged leagues will have to do more?  It would indeed  be a radical step though to start combining Cumbria with D&N clubs. 

Offline Exciled Dragon

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 01:27:58 PM »
How do the north western leagues work at the lower levels currently? Looking on the RFU North website there's:
North Lancs/Cumbria;
Cumbria;
South Lancs/Cheshire Division One;
South Lancs/Cheshire Division Two;
Lancs/Cheshire Division Three (North);
Lancs/Cheshire Division Three (South);
Lancs/Cheshire Division Three.

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 10:25:36 PM »
Further developments here.  http://www.rfunorth.com/news/news6.htm

Also included is the intriguing para below.  Dunno if this just North West or all of North

In addition the RFU Adult Competitions Development Sub-Committee will instigate a comprehensive review of adult male rugby in the North with the intention of identifying a league structure for implementation in 2019/20.

Offline stuartdm

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2018, 06:55:04 PM »
Further developments here.  http://www.rfunorth.com/news/news6.htm

Also included is the intriguing para below.  Dunno if this just North West or all of North

In addition the RFU Adult Competitions Development Sub-Committee will instigate a comprehensive review of adult male rugby in the North with the intention of identifying a league structure for implementation in 2019/20.

Are there any complaints about there being 2 teams from the Isle of Man in Lancashire and Cheshire 3?

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 02:45:31 PM »
Let's hope some common sense comes from any review they do in future. A lot of clubs get ignored and railroaded by some bigger more ambitious ones and this is where it all ends.

Shambles!

Offline Teessidewire

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 11:00:09 PM »
This has been going on for some years and the fact is that the days of regular long journeys for games at our level is long gone. Maybe as part of a review the RFU will look at the ridiculous Level Transfer rule.