Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Durham City Tragedy  (Read 4853 times)

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Durham City Tragedy
« on: May 14, 2018, 03:55:51 PM »

Offline Nicknack

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Re: Durham City Tragedy
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 08:43:09 PM »
Absolutely tragic. Thoughts are with the families and all at Durham City.

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 04:45:51 PM »
Our thoughts go out to everyone affected by this tragedy. From all at Seaham RUFC

Offline No. 6 to Middlegate

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 05:23:30 PM »
Really sad news. Thoughts and prayers are with the Baty and Howard families and all at Durham City whether at home or still in Sri Lanka with the tour party.

Offline AcmeThunderer

• Senior Colt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 11:38:59 PM »
A tragedy for the players, their families and for the Clems Pirates tourists who have done so much for the rugby fraternity. When you set off on a tour the last thing you or your family would expect is for you not to return home. Deepest sympathy to all those affected.

Offline LineoutGeneral

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 10:21:49 PM »
I was at Thomas batys funeral yesterday what a send off he was given players and officials from quite a number of clubs in the North East turning up to show there respect. 👌

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
  • View from the blue horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 06:54:52 PM »
Does anyone know what the Coroner's verdict was? I never heard or read this anywhere.

Offline Teessidewire

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 02:51:16 PM »
Very much doubt whether it will have been dealt with yet. No procedure is that the inquest is opened, body is released for burial and then the inquest is adjourned to a later date.

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 11:56:28 PM »
Very much doubt whether it will have been dealt with yet. No procedure is that the inquest is opened, body is released for burial and then the inquest is adjourned to a later date.
I'm assuming you meant to type: 'The procedure', rather than 'No procedure? I don't mean to pick fault, Teessidewire, just to understand.

I think the Coroner's verdict may help us all to understand what happened in this tragic case.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has looked at the circumstances, as reported, and wondered exactly what happened, how and why.
I am also interested to know if the families have been fully briefed on the events of that evening, and whether there have been any arrests in connection with the incident.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 08:51:22 AM by Mugsy »

Offline Teessidewire

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 01:47:46 PM »
You’re right about my error, in France at the moment and the red wine and blue cheese diet must have had its standard effect. Heard on the radio this morning that there is a hearing underway abroad and that both were found to have taken illicit drugs. Whatever the outcome it is very sad.

Offline Sgt Bilko

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 03:59:44 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-44899366

This is the latest on the situation.

Offline LineoutGeneral

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 08:30:37 PM »
That's bulls### I knew the two lads well in particular Tom baty having been on numerous drinking sessions after rugby with him and I'd bet my last pound that them two never took that or never took it knowingly (drinks spiked). Massive cover up if you ask me 

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2018, 10:31:56 AM »
That's bulls### I knew the two lads well in particular Tom baty having been on numerous drinking sessions after rugby with him and I'd bet my last pound that them two never took that or never took it knowingly (drinks spiked). Massive cover up if you ask me

The lads were found to have heroin in their systems, and the statement from Police was that they were thought to have 'been sold' it. You would think that there must be eyewitness or CCTV evidence of the transaction for such a claim to be made publicly, but personally I find it beyond credibility that good lads like these two would knowingly go anywhere near that disgusting filth, never mind willingly ingest an unknown substance in a seedy nightclub in a foreign country.
I'm with you, LineoutGeneral; they've surely been spiked - which brings me back to my earlier question. Has anyone been arrested and if not, why? They've had a long time to investigate and if they're going to make public pronouncements about drug dealing then they must have the information they need?
I feel dreadfully sorry for the families; they seem to be maintaining a dignified silence, but they deserve to know what happened, and long before now.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 10:33:50 AM by Mugsy »

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 02:16:43 PM »
A man thought to have supplied the two Durham lads with heroine has been arrested and remanded until 10th August when he appears in court I believe.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-45020958

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 08:48:53 PM »
Thanks Renegade. Hopefully the truth will out.