Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tynedale - MRSA Scare  (Read 2041 times)

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Tynedale - MRSA Scare
« on: September 28, 2018, 09:48:12 AM »
From club website:

One of our 1st XV players has this week been confirmed to have contracted MRSA. Several other team members are currently awaiting the result of tests having also suffered from infected cuts and grazes following a recent match. The club is in regular and ongoing contact over the situation with both the National Clubs Association (NCA) and Rugby Football Union (RFU), who are liaising with Public Health England.

This type of infection can be serious in a hospital setting but is readily treatable in normal healthy adults. However it is contagious, and may be spread via close physical contact. Tynedale RFC is therefore taking all precautions to avoid further contagion, including postponement of all Senior rugby fixtures this coming weekend. Following communications today, the NCA fully support the decision to postpone the National League Two fixture at Chester this Saturday.

All junior rugby should be able to continue as normal this weekend, as the relevant health authorities have no concerns about the wider club community.

Ends.

For further information please contact:
Neil Foster, Chief Executive, Tynedale RFC
neil@fostermaddison.co.uk

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
  • View from the blue horizon
    • View Profile
Re: Tynedale - MRSA Scare
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 10:57:08 AM »
Strange one, this.
During my playing career I had several cuts and friction burns over the years which became infected, but in all my years in Rugby I've never known a MRSA scare.
It'll be interesting to see what the test results show and how this pans out.

Offline Harry H

• Senior Colt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 05:36:49 PM »
I wonder if this is as a result of playing on an AGP?

Offline LineoutGeneral

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 11:55:47 PM »
Ive heard of impetigo due to rugby when coming in contact with someone else who has it but MRSA due to rugby seems a weird one.

Offline Rinky Dinky

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 06:10:08 PM »
Av had players contract infections from these artificial pitches and had to take few weeks out of rugby mainly due to weeping grazes. Again never heard of MRSA been contracted. I was going to try ask not to play on them, however seems like your forced to play on them now.

Offline rock25

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 09:18:04 AM »
if a player is taking a couple of weeks off because of a grazed knee you have bigger issues to worry about than playing on an AGP

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 04:52:13 PM »
if a player is taking a couple of weeks off because of a grazed knee you have bigger issues to worry about than playing on an AGP
I suspect most readers will think your comment is motivated by the fact that Rock have a plaka pitch!

At the end of a season one year I had a horrible friction burn from my right hip down to the underside of my buttock from the hard pitches, which was incredibly sore, but I was desperate to play in a cup final the following week so I put a dressing on it and did so.
The pitch (at Burton on Trent) was bone hard and, needless to say, the dressing was soon torn off.
A few days later I was in agony and took off my new dressing to find a thick,dark green sheet of pus had formed over the area and the pain was indescribable as I peeled the dressing away.
I was hospitalised and given strong antibiotics, and it took a second, even stronger course to finally get on top of it.

I feel qualified, therefore, to advise against trivialising infected friction burns. I was told that potentially the infection could have killed me if the second course hadn't worked.
If plastic pitches are found to be causing an increase in burns and/or infection rates we must take it seriously.
Personally I doubt it - there doesn't seem to be any noise from the Premiership about it.

Again, the results of the tests on the Tynedale lads and any subsequent investigation will be interesting.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 04:59:34 PM by Mugsy »

Offline Rinky Dinky

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 09:59:09 PM »
If you seen the state of the players knees in question, you would understand. Not getting into an argument about it, they seem to be here for the foreseeable future. Hopefully clubs maintain them correctly, otherwise we end up with unplayable surfaces like the one located near us.

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 11:51:30 PM »
Anyone with an interest in this thread may wish to read my post in the 'AGP' thread (under DN2), rather than me duplicating by pasting it in here. Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 11:53:23 PM by Mugsy »