Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Loading sides  (Read 12285 times)

Offline Badgerbear77

• Alickadoo
  • Views are my own
    • View Profile
Loading sides
« on: October 07, 2018, 11:14:25 AM »
Just wondering peoples thoughts on this... Increasingly in my observations of the local rugby scene im seeing club crying off 2nds or 3rds fixtures but still honouring 3rd and 4ths fixtures... How can this happen? Surely you should always fulfil the highest fixture available or its a poor show? Should there be club sanctions for this?

It also seems to be the 'Bigger' Clubs who are the biggest offenders.. This weekend I would imagine is particularly prevelant with very little first team rugby on.

How do we as a rugby community solve this problem?
Rugby is for everyone, not just the chosen few

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Re: Loading sides
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 12:27:46 PM »
Itís always happened and always will.....I lost a 2nds game from one of Durhamís national league clubs earlier in the season but the 3rds played.

I donít think it can be policed and maybe shouldnít, the weaker losing sides can benefit most. Winlaton 2ís played Northern 2ís yesterday who had no first team game so turned up with 27 in the squad (we had 25). A sprinkling of first teamers, fringe players etc, they scored 3 tries in first 10 mins and our lads expected a thrashing. That didnít happen though, Northern were good and moved the ball quick from rucks. Our lads who would normally try to kill the balloon, slow it down had no choice but to defend sensibly and move quicker.

We ended up making a game of it Iím told and lost 12-42, not bad really and the players said they really enjoyed it.

Clubs will always pick the game they are likely to win or maybe at home to retain and scrap the fixture thatís least convenient.

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 01:07:59 PM »
We had a similar experience yesterday playing Horden & Peterlee 2s at their place. I'd agreed a game against their combined 2s and 3s but we faced a strong squad with a few first teamers bouncing back from injury. No moans from our lads mind - they just stepped up to the plate and got on with it.

We took the lead three times in the first half and turned around trailing 19-17.  H+P introduced some fresh legs at the interval and ran away with the third quarter. We kept plugging away though and bagged a fourth try. I thought we were a lot better than the 50-24 scoreline might suggest. Just goes to show, the bigger the challenge the deeper you dig to get where you need to be. Very proud of our lads. A lot of positives and I'm sure we earned the opposition's respect.

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 01:34:43 PM »
Theyíll be all the better for it in the league games Neil, just replicate what they did thatís the key.

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 03:33:11 PM »
I'm sure they will mate. They'd played poor at home to Richmondshire a week earlier so they were told by their coach that nothing short of a good honest performance was expected... and they delivered. The final score didn't really matter but the attitude and overall performance did. They'll bounce back stronger for it.

Offline Badgerbear77

• Alickadoo
  • Views are my own
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 06:00:56 PM »
I dont think its character building... I think its cheating!! There are lads I wouldnt select in a first team game because of safety, they might not be physically ready for it.

I dont think it should be condoned as just one of those things
Rugby is for everyone, not just the chosen few

Offline Teessidewire

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 10:17:27 PM »
I donít believe itís character building either. A huge defeat does absolutely nothing for anyone at all, it can be absolutely soul destroying.

Offline atilla

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 10:30:10 PM »
I dont think its character building... I think its cheating!! There are lads I wouldnt select in a first team game because of safety, they might not be physically ready for it.

I dont think it should be condoned as just one of those things
In other Northern Counties it's covered in the rules. Strictly not allowed.

Offline bigcoop

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 10:59:40 AM »
I agree with badger on this one. It comes down to safety and if lads normally play 2 s or 3 s itís for a reason. You wouldnít play them v a first team in league so why are cups any different. Play cup games from top down based on however many teams you have in any given day. BRU rules actually say this!

Offline IOM Vagabonds

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 11:08:47 PM »
Guisborough  Monks went to play Darlington 2nds today,  Monks were having a great game and indeed leading .Into the 2nd half Darlington , who had no 1st team game, brought on about 9 first team players and ended up 25-24 winners. I just thought this was a bit much on Darlington, 3 or 4 players may have been ok.
Thoughts on this any one, and any one from Darlo willing to comment as i only got this off one of our players.
The lads got back to the Gizzy club house and were still all happy that they had a game, but were a bit dissapointed not to come away with a win.

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
  • View from the blue horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 02:38:43 PM »
25-24 would suggest the sides were very evenly matched as an average across the game, so from an outsider's view it seems there's not much to report here.

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 09:04:28 PM »
Darlington arenít the strongest at first XV level and havenít been for a few seasons. Like Mugsy says the teams sound pretty even by the scoreline.

Having a large bench can often be the decider with fresh legs being the decisive factor.

Offline Teessidewire

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2019, 10:30:23 PM »
25-#4 seems ok to me, try this one for size. Earlier in the season Stockton Thirds travelled to Richmondshire seconds and came away with a 31-31 draw. Whatís wrong with that you may ask?
The answer, is absolutely nothing, so on Saturday, 17th, Feb, the two sides had a rematch at Stockton.
Richmond had half a dozen very good class Fijians playing and won 96-0 apparently they had their normal pack of forwards, who thought it was wonderful that they didnít have to do anything apart from watch these lads run and score. It was 31-0 after 14 minutes and post match the Stockton lads were told all the Richmond players had played junior rugby, it wasnít mentioned in which Continent they had played.
Personally I think itís an absolute disgrace and potentially dangerous to play a group of players who are obviously of a very good standard at such a level. I wonder ifthereís Anyone here from Richmond who can comment.

Offline RugbyMad78

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2019, 09:46:58 AM »
Not from Richmondshire myself, but when we traveled to their place to play the first team they had a quality Fijian VJ that played in the centers.

Offline No1No2

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2019, 12:18:49 PM »
had some good fun playing against the Fijians in the past always keen for a bit banter , but two or three together becomes a very strong side .
but have noticed the said Fijians never travelled away ???