Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Loading sides  (Read 12284 times)

Offline Teessidewire

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Re: Loading sides
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2019, 12:23:55 PM »
Iím told that 96-0:is no fun at all.

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
  • View from the blue horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2019, 12:49:03 PM »
It's a sticky one this. I'm not defending what happened at all, but I'll try to explain the difficulty here.
If your club is close to a garrison you may well have Polynesian guys who want to come along and have a game. Any junior club would be delighted to have their numbers boosted in this way.
At Ryton we tend to have half a dozen because of the proximity of Albermarle Barracks. Their availability is patchy so they tend not to train or play every week, and some hardly ever train so don't play first team.
In practice what this means is that some weeks there will be, say, 2 in the first team and 2 in the seconds, or none at all, or (rarely) 5 in the seconds.
It's virtually impossible to have a consistent selection policy to apply to this, and there are weeks when it's only possible to turn out 2 (occasionally 3) teams because a few of them are available.
Our current crop are mostly big strong lads and efficient players but I think it's fair to say none of them are likely to attract the interest of senior clubs any time soon, so the mismatch described above probably isn't something for our selectors to worry about too much for the time being.
But here's a thought to consider - can you envisage a Chairman of Selectors ringing his counterpart to cry off the second team game because they can only field too strong a team? Or telling their Fijian players they aren't welcome to play as they are too good? Or even offering a couple of them to the opposition to even the game up?
As I said - it's a difficult one to get right.

Offline flish

• 1st XV
  • Ref more than I play
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2019, 01:22:47 PM »
Every club has in and out players, and I can see an argument for not wanting to upset the apple cart by displacing regulars who train hard and are available week in and week out with irregular players, so bumping the irregulars to the 2s if they want a game may seem 'fair' from one angle, 96-0 on the other hand does not.  I've not reffed Richmondshire often (and only away from home), but had their 1s and 2s in the last month, don't recall any players matching those descriptions on the pitch though.

Offline IOM Vagabonds

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2019, 03:26:16 PM »
Spoke to Gizzy Monks skipper today, and he was quite happy about the game, like Mugsy said a really close game. With the out come so close, all we want is a decent game of Rugby. I am led to believe that when all the lads got back to the club house it was all soon forgotton when they found out the 1st team had beaten Boro in Y1 to win their first game of the season.!!!!

Offline UtilityBack

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2019, 09:38:59 PM »
To be fair to Richmond, they have the biggest Garrison in the UK 2/3miles away so have lots of squadies playing for the club. A lot of them can't (or don't) commit for a full season and their availability is patchy. Usually players wanting to play casual rugby play for the 2nds, and squadies usually bring along their mates to get involved. So if they can't play 1sts because they can't commit and they can't play 2nds because they're 'too good' and it makes it 'not fun' for the opposition team getting a hiding, should these players just be turned away? Of course not! So suck it up and get on with the game, you win some you lose some. Also, Richmond have two fijian players that player for the 1sts infrequently, so a team 'stacked with fijians' obviously isn't the 2nds loading up from the 1sts.

Offline No. 6 to Middlegate

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2019, 11:51:21 PM »
To be fair to Richmond, they have the biggest Garrison in the UK 2/3miles away so have lots of squadies playing for the club. A lot of them can't (or don't) commit for a full season and their availability is patchy. Usually players wanting to play casual rugby play for the 2nds, and squadies usually bring along their mates to get involved. So if they can't play 1sts because they can't commit and they can't play 2nds because they're 'too good' and it makes it 'not fun' for the opposition team getting a hiding, should these players just be turned away? Of course not! So suck it up and get on with the game, you win some you lose some. Also, Richmond have two fijian players that player for the 1sts infrequently, so a team 'stacked with fijians' obviously isn't the 2nds loading up from the 1sts.

Good point.  Richmond also had a 1st XV fixture on that day so no loading from a higher team.  With the greatest respect to Teessidewire this seems less like 'an absolute disgrace' but rather one of those things that happen across a rugby season. 

Offline Teessidewire

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2019, 07:53:26 AM »
Simply canít agree. 50 year old plus players against players like that simply isnít on. Itís a recipe for serious injury.

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2019, 08:27:50 AM »
The problem with playing against any South Sea Islanders is they do everything with maximum force, itís part of their DNA. When they come up against players down the leagues and teams that is sufficient enough to intimidate most opponents.

Hard hitting tacklers and ball carriers donít really start to appear until you reach DN1 first teams or the highest quality 2nds, if a club feels it really needs to win a game that much then so be it but they shouldnít be surprised if it ruins their reputation.

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2019, 10:28:23 AM »
So to restate UtilityBack's question.  Should these players be turned away if they pitch up looking for a game? 

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2019, 11:08:40 AM »
No not at all, I donít have a problem at all with anyone playing the game.

Maybe any side should take fixtures based on their average quality of the team. That way there will be no complaints when they rock up at full strength,
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 11:14:03 AM by Renegade »

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2019, 06:14:23 PM »
No not at all, I donít have a problem at all with anyone playing the game.

Maybe any side should take fixtures based on their average quality of the team. That way there will be no complaints when they rock up at full strength,

So these players shouldn't be turned away.  There was no loading of the 2nd XV as Richmond's 1st XV were also playing.  And both teams were away; sometimes a home lower team is strengthened by players who cannot or will not travel.  Richmond 2nds were playing Stockton 3rds in the Tees Valley league.  Prior to the game in question they had won 8, drew 1 and lost 5.  Stocktonians had won 5, drew 1 and lost 4

So I don't think Richmond have done anything to ruin their reputation.  Agreed?

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2019, 08:13:36 PM »
I think these non regulars who happen to be better than the normal standard of games the club play in set a precedent. Sometimes sides are stronger for a variety of reasons but my point is if it is a pretty regular happening then maybe a stronger fixture list would be appropriate.

Offline Teessidewire

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2019, 08:15:10 PM »
No, I canít agree at all. What happens when some 55 year old gets a South Sea Island tackle and finishes up seriously injured or worse?

Offline SexyHooker

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2019, 09:41:09 PM »
Perhaps itís time to join the vets

Offline Teessidewire

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2019, 09:52:34 PM »
There werenít two or three, there were 6.