Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Loading sides  (Read 7005 times)

Offline UtilityBack

• View Profile
Re: Loading sides
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2019, 07:56:45 PM »
Tessidewire, I completely disagree.

1) Racism: "prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race". You're saying pacific islanders shouldn't be allowed to play 2nd team rugby for the safety of those opposing them, that is flat out racism, sorry.

2) if a 55yr old can't handle the contact and physicality of a rugby match, time to hang up the boots. I'd sooner say that men aged >50 should be excluded due to safety issues (their own!) than pacific islanders.

Offline Teessidewire

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2019, 10:42:26 PM »
If youíre going to bring absolute crap like that into things, then this will be my last comment on the matter. Iím talking about ability not colour you fool, and if we told players of over 50 years of age that they are too old to play at very much the lower levels, then Iím afraid that the game at this level would disappear very quickly.

Offline UtilityBack

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2019, 12:42:49 AM »
Teessidewire: "What happens when some 55 year old gets a South Sea Island tackle and finishes up seriously injured or worse"

So what you meant to say was a "hard" or "tough" tackle then? Because, excuse my ignorance, but by singling out a race (well, group of races) and crying foul about how their involvement, regardless the level of the game, has a detrimental affect is complete and utter bullsh*t. Your comments can be basically paraphrased to say "Fijians shouldn't be allowed to play merit league rugby".

"over 50 years of age that they are too old to play at very much the lower levels, then Iím afraid that the game at this level would disappear very quickly" couldn't agree more. Rugby is a game for everyone, and no one should be excluded. But if the older players are at risk of serious injury, then the mitigation is for them to play at that level. There are veterans teams for a reason, which reduces the gap between the upper and lower end of physical fitness.

Offline Fat prop

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2019, 07:28:40 PM »
Evening
I played in the Stockton-on-Tees v Richmond game for Richmond and think a few things need to be said. Firstly when we played Stockton at shire early in the year, we had a very good side out and Stocktons 2nds ended up playing in place of most of their 3rds and was confirmed by the Stockton guys in the bar after this a draw was a good result for us. Expecting 20 plus players at home from what the Stockton Facebook page we fielded another strong team which included 5 Fijians who were recently posted to the area and know a number of us in our 2nd team. When we arrived at Stockton they were down to the bare 15 and agreed that if they needed players we would give them replacements.
We started with 3fijians and two on the bench. The pitch was massive and helped the backs to run wide, that said, we as forwards still had to win ball and get it out to the backs. Yes the Fijians scored a couple of tryís but our forwards ran a number in too. When ever a Stockton lad went down at all a shire lad was offered to replace him. Stockton never gave up and played well. Following the game we were give a lift back to the club house over the road by one of Stocktons 2nd rows who informed us that that heíd only played a couple of games this season and they had struggled to get a team out due to numbers being low in the teams above. Stockton were a credit to thier club and each other and didnít give up. We enjoyed a couple of pints with them after the game and left.
We now have 3 regular Fijian lads who play for our 2nds and have paid subs and memberships. It is never our intention to hurt or injur anyone but the game has to be played at the best of our abilities. We recently played sedgfield ď2ndsĒ who fielded a number of possible 1st team players, it was a fantastic game and sedgfield won by a couple of point. We have in the past been on the end of 80/90-0 losses games but itís rugby and you just get on with it.
If we upset anyone from Stockton then we are truly sorry
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 07:31:41 PM by Fat prop »

Offline Teessidewire

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2019, 08:00:42 AM »
Your first part about Stockton seconds is completely wrong. We play our third team players as they pay their subs and are entitled to a game. I maintain that 96-0 does absolutely nobody any good and the clown who said the older players should be playing Veterans rugby obviously has very little idea about how lower sides at clubs keep going.

Offline Fat prop

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2019, 01:13:21 PM »
Thatís fine, but we are going off what was said by a couple of the Stockton lads. At the end of the day weíll play anyone at any standard as itís a game of rugby and thatís what we want to do, just play rugby. You get miss matchís all the time especially in cup rugby and you just have to get on with it really, otherwise youíll never play anyone. We have a scrum half who plays for us once a month for 15-20mins at the age of 63 and loves it. Long may it continue!!

Offline No. 6 to Middlegate

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2019, 01:59:25 PM »
Your first part about Stockton seconds is completely wrong. We play our third team players as they pay their subs and are entitled to a game. I maintain that 96-0 does absolutely nobody any good and the clown who said the older players should be playing Veterans rugby obviously has very little idea about how lower sides at clubs keep going.

What team would you class Devon Douthwaite as belonging to please Teessidewire?   He seems to be picked predominantly for your Saracens but when they don't have a game he is usually recorded as scoring for Stocktonians; and on occasion he has got a hat trick.  Now he may be an exception and is only noticed as he scores so often and gets to play with his grandad (which is special).  Given he played against Richmond in the first game though he at least seems to cast doubt on your statement.
BBOB beat Stocktonians  convincingly earlier in the season only to lose in the rematch when the Saracens didn't have a game and reported a procession of better, and youthful, players coming on.  I don't believe you are as squeaky clean as you assert.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 03:47:16 AM by No. 6 to Middlegate »

Offline Fat prop

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2019, 10:55:52 PM »
The Stockton side we played at home was unrecognisable to the side we played at Stockton.

Offline Pied Piper of Hameln

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2019, 08:56:44 PM »
I think Teesidewire has lost the plot here you're just as likely to get hurt by an 15 stone 18 year old colt centre who can run like the wind which Stockton third regularly play and there is nothing wrong with this that's rugby clubs have to get sides out and you play what's in front of you and get on with it I am sure clubs are not deliberately leaving players out of DN league games to play social rugby but that being said there will be times 3rd teams will have first and second teamers in that's the way it's always been and always will be.

Offline tightened-head

• Senior Colt
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2019, 11:09:33 PM »
surely the right thing to do in any case of a thumping would be to stop the game at half time and mix the teams up a bit with the winning team when the game stops claiming the points...granted this solution wont suit all the players on the day but everyone gets a game and thats what its about.. we arent internationals its a completley social level so get social... over the years down at ryton we have done this with quite a few different clubs what it does is create a better bond between clubs so that if you are short you can call the other clubs to see if they have spare players or if you dont have a game you can rock up for them...at the end we all play for the same reason

Offline davebarnes

• 1st XV
  • Remember when Rugby was a contact sport?
    • View Profile
    • Westoe RFC
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2019, 10:54:02 AM »
Best way forward is to stop whinging and play the game to your best ability against whoever is on the opposing team.

If a team wants to cheat, they will  - make the most of playing against better opponents and learn all you can from it.
Bring back the ruck.

Offline asr15

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2019, 09:30:16 AM »
I agree with Dave  B with whom I played - well not played with but played alongside - for many years. Iíve two points here that were applicable to myself. Firstly, you can only play against whoever the opposition field on the park, so get on with it. Secondly, all I ever wanted to do was play rugby. Whilst playing first team, if a first team game was cancelled, Iíd turn up at the club two hours early and say that if any side was short when going to get changed, Iíd happily play. Not to Ďloadí the side, but because forty years ago rugby was my life and I was happy to play for anyone and, in fact appreciated three games over an Easter weekend. It was never all about winning just about being able to play.

Whilst H & S is relevant, the choice to play on in advancing years is one for the individual. I played on after five knee operations until I was 48 stopping only when one knee was was replaced. Rugby is a contact sport and injuries are always just around the corner - but on the bright side - youíre a long time dead. Enjoy it whilst you can.

Offline Pied Piper of Hameln

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2019, 06:01:54 PM »
Well said ASR 15

Offline Puddlejumper

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2019, 11:02:25 AM »
I'm much nearer 60yrs than 50yrs but still playing regularly in the social league and enjoying it. The only time I've found it a bit frustrating is when clubs have had first team games called off late so they have then loaded the second/third/whatever team and dropped the regulars to get the win. There's not a lot you can do about it except play what's in front of you. As far as rugby values are concerned well the club going for a win at any cost have to live with themselves and ultimately those lads who aren't getting game time because of it will go elsewhere.
As I always remind the young kids when they gallop past me whooping and hollering (& I dislike that a lot more than loading teams to be honest) there really is no glory in a 21 year old beating a pensioner ;D ;D

Offline local player

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2019, 06:54:30 PM »
I'm much nearer 60yrs than 50yrs but still playing regularly in the social league and enjoying it. The only time I've found it a bit frustrating is when clubs have had first team games called off late so they have then loaded the second/third/whatever team and dropped the regulars to get the win. There's not a lot you can do about it except play what's in front of you. As far as rugby values are concerned well the club going for a win at any cost have to live with themselves and ultimately those lads who aren't getting game time because of it will go elsewhere.
As I always remind the young kids when they gallop past me whooping and hollering (& I dislike that a lot more than loading teams to be honest) there really is no glory in a 21 year old beating a pensioner ;D ;D

If i was dropped from my team to accommodate a higher team player i would be out for a new club! 

Mind i have been in teams where we were short so naturally, having no 1st team fixture a couple of lads got a run out in the seconds.

Again i have had opposition do the dirty deliberately which inst nice, also if you check results some clubs social teams always have nice wins when their 1st team dont have a fixture.  Then again if you only have 2 teams this tends to happen!