Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A little query for the refs among us.  (Read 2128 times)

Offline Teessidewire

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
A little query for the refs among us.
« on: November 25, 2018, 09:28:00 PM »
I was watching a game at Under 14 level today and the side my own Club was playing against had 7 or 8 players wearing ‘under arms’ and base layers. What this is is basically a black coloured top that covers the upper body and the bottom bit resembles a thick pair of tights with standard rugby kit over it. In fact one lad also had a pair of gloves on and a head guard, meaning that the only part of his body showing was his face.
We were of the opinion that the gear on the lower part of the body was not legal and the same with the globes. It was mentioned to the ref at the time, who said he knew nothing about it and shrugged his shoulders, probably because he was wearing the same gear himself. Can anyone (preferably a referee) enlighten me on this?

Offline flish

• 1st XV
  • Ref more than I play
    • View Profile
Re: A little query for the refs among us.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 10:33:02 PM »
Hah, been here before, my understanding is technically no, leggings or leg base layers are not allowed (fingerless gloves are), starting at the top you have this, notice ‘tights’ are allowed for ladies;

https://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=4&language=EN

However, England Rugby publish this;

https://www.englandrugby.com/mm/Document/MyRugby/Education/01/32/50/25/ClothingFootwear(RugbySafeEssentialGuide)May2017FINAL_Neutral.pdf

Which states that age grade players can wear world rugby approved leggings - except I don’t think there are any (World Rugby Reg 12).  So, technically they shouldn’t - but, these are kids, who have Mums that dress them (and think scrum caps prevent concussion) so I think we need to apply common sense.

Personally, I coach U12s and ref older regularly, I have advised all my parents to use this year to transition out of leggings on match day for the reasons above, and to prevent issues on match day if a ref does insist on taking them off, training is ok.  In reverse, if i’m reffing a youth game I’ve never insisted they are removed (I do check they are safe, running leggings have metal zips!), I also have a conversation covering the above with the coaches.

HTH helps, ish, worth noting I’ve seen them worn in adult male games!  I reffed U16 today, they were worn in warm up, none worn during the match so a non issue.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 10:42:11 PM by flish »

Offline flish

• 1st XV
  • Ref more than I play
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 10:36:06 PM »
Also, personally, I will wear the same as players, so no hat, gloves or leggings, but base layer under my shirt when reffing, I think it helps start and maintain respect from the players - but other refs do different and will argue differently, so it’s a ‘loose’ topic

Offline Teessidewire

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 11:14:12 PM »
Don’t have a problem with a base layer around the upper body, but some of the leggings ones are abrasive, and the gloves in question were not fingerless. I only mentioned the headguard because it meant that only this kids face was showing. Ironically the first time he was passed the ball he knocked on.

Offline flish

• 1st XV
  • Ref more than I play
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 11:23:53 PM »
Course he did, gloves never work, been saying this since I coached tag, but hey ho, eventually the kids work it out.

Leggings tend to be whatever is cheap in SportsDirect :-(