Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 6 Nations 2019  (Read 1481 times)

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
6 Nations 2019
« on: February 02, 2019, 02:55:26 PM »
Boy oh boy. Did France not chuck it away last night?

Scotland currently looking comfortable against Italy too.

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
  • View from the blue horizon
    • View Profile
Re: 6 Nations 2019
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 10:31:53 AM »
The most surprising thing about the France V Wales game was not the 'miracle comeback' that I felt was always on the cards and didn't find surprising at all.
It was the fact that once again, some nugget with no Rugby knowledge made George North 'Man of the Match'.
He did virtually nowt except be woeful in defence and score two spawny tries to make up for the two French tries that were mostly his fault.
By contrast, the Welsh starting back row were all magnificent, with Tipuric having an absolute stormer.

I think Finn Russell is breaking new ground in fly-half play - he's brilliant. He's so hard for defenders to read because whether he plays a short, long, backward or flat pass, or one of his variety of kicks, his body language is the same. And he executes all of those skills superbly.
I know he sometimes goes off-piste and puts his team in bother, but that just adds to my delight in watching him!

Ireland found themselves clear tournament favourites, and I don't think that helped their cause at all. Irish passion and fire is based on the desire to crush the historic oppressors against the odds. They were about 25% off their usual level.
The roles were reversed, and 'underdogs' England were really fired up as a result. Great to watch!
The Welsh camp know the fixtures are set up in their favour this year and will have been delighted to see Ireland lose at home. More surprises to come, I predict!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 10:40:31 AM by Mugsy »

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 09:25:28 PM »
There's something nagging away at me about England, the 6nations, the RWC and Rugby Union in general.
It's even chipping away at my loyalty to the men in white.
England's turn in fortunes following a woeful 2018 campaign has been built on a game plan of kicking a lot to turn the opposition. It worked well against France and Ireland. But, to borrow a phrase from my old pal Chris Leslie, ''rugby tactics are not a sausage machine''; you can't just turn out the same size and shape, every game at that level is going to be different and will require a specific, tailored approach.
It was as plain as the nose on Mike Tindall's face at half time in Cardiff that kicking away possession at every opportunity was not working against Liam Williams and co. All they needed to do to take the Welsh apart was to play wave after wave of possession rugby. The Welsh knew it; yet England lacked the common sense and tactical nous to realise that - so they continued to kick away every single ball they got. To add to that, Referee Peyper crucified us at the breakdown - something which is far less likely to happen to a team prepared to go through multiple phases.

So here's where my loyalty is tested. I actually think it is for the greater good of our game that England lost using that game plan. Watch most Prem games now and endure a tedious display of kick tennis. Nobody wants to watch that, and surely that's not where we want the game to go.
I'm angry England lost, but I'm glad that tactic did.

I now think we need to try to bring in Gregor Townsend or someone with a similar attacking ethos. The way he has Scotland playing is thrilling and if he only had a full squad of world-class players, as England undoubtedly have, I think they'd dominate world rugby.
If we go into the RWC kicking all our possession away as our standard game plan we'll fail miserably.
Let's hope the winners are a team that plays the game properly.

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 05:39:19 PM »

If we go into the RWC kicking all our possession away as our standard game plan we'll fail miserably.

lf we go nto the RWC with the intention of kicking all of our possession away, we run the risk of not making it out of our group stage AGAIN. Have we learned from the harsh lessons of RWC 2015? I genuinely thought we had but that second half performance against Wales was like watching a rudderless ship crash against the rocks then inevitably sink in a sorry state. Awful...

Offline AcmeThunderer

• Senior Colt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 11:08:49 PM »
England say that they have a squad of intelligent players who are encouraged to play against what they see is in front of them. It looked to me like they had a plan A and when that didn't work they stuck to it because they either couldn't figure out what to do or hadn't been given  plan B. To continue to kick possession away to a really good Welsh back three was complete idiocy.

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 09:04:09 AM »
My sentiments exactly Acme.
One reason I find the inability to adapt the plan strange is that the team is led on the field principally by Saracens players, and their match blueprint is the opposite of one-dimensional. Yes, they kick a lot, but they are so hard to play against because they seldom do the same thing twice. They will bash it up the middle, then go off 9, then go off 10, then off 10 again but back inside, then blind, then wide, etc etc. They don't allow the defence to settle into a pattern. Exeter are similar, but with more emphasis on waging war in tight to the rucks when they get territory.
When England have been at their best during Jones's time, it's when they've reflected a potent mix of the Sarries/Exeter models.
Watching them in Cardiff was like listening to a vinyl record when the needle has got stuck on the most irritating part of the song.