Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: RWC 2019  (Read 1160 times)

Offline LineoutGeneral

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
RWC 2019
« on: August 20, 2019, 12:24:14 PM »
Not long now until the big kick off in japan. Whos going to lift the webb ellis trophy? Can anyone halt the all blacks dominance? Whats your thoughts and predictions?

Offline Pied Piper of Hameln

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Re: RWC 2019
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 01:29:10 PM »
South Africa winners for me

Offline Any Thirty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 06:09:02 PM »
I fancy a punt on Austria

Offline Any Thirty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 06:10:15 PM »
I think I might get better odds on Australia!!

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
  • View from the blue horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 09:04:23 PM »
There'll be upsets and surprises, and as we know international Rugby Union is notoriously difficult to predict.
But it remains as true as ever that New Zealand are the team to beat.
Have England got a chance?
Absolutely. Huge strength in depth and world class players in the most important positions.
I'm glad they lost to Wales in Cardiff. Gatland will not like the pressure of expectation his side must shoulder due to their (ridiculous) no.1 world ranking, and similarly I don't think England are at their best when favourites to win something. The English mentality is far stronger when we're slight underdogs. Ditto the Irish.
If anyone is making their choices now based on what's been happening in the various warm-up matches, forget it. The coaching teams are engaged in a game of mental chess with their counterparts and the scores mean absolutely nothing.

Offline Texas10

• 1st XV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 11:46:10 AM »
England or South Africa for me.

Think defence and physicality will win this World Cup, with mental steel and I genuinely believe we’re in the best position we’ve been since 2003 and I can see us winning it.

I just hope it doesn’t descend into a tournament focusing around TMO involvement which has been slipping into the game more and more.

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 03:42:50 PM »
Big crowd expected at Sid James's Park tonight - talking to an RFU guy on Thursday who's involved in the event; he says all tickets are sold except a few of the big money ones.
I know there are dozens going from Ryton and I assume it's the same for all local clubs, so the NE Rugby community is really coming together for this one!
A bit of craic:-
The Italy squad have been here since last weekend (5 of them did a coaching session at Ryton on Sunday). I happen to know that their management enquired about staying at the Hilton Gateshead but claimed they couldn't afford the rates and booked £100-a-night bog-standard twin rooms at the Metrocentre Marriott instead!
Some of the players were in the Marriott's gym on Tuesday and were reported to be a bit miserable.
Now you might feel sympathy for the financial plight of what is basically a 'tier 2' nation squad, but I'm told by someone who knows that the host nation pays for all accommodation, so it's all a bit puzzling. I wonder why they feel the need to make economies with Twickenham money? Hmmmm....

Another pal bumped into Mike Catt buying caps in Sports Direct and had a chat. Catty says he's off to Ireland next season as the pay is crap. Neither he nor Conor O'Shea have moved their families to Italy as it works out cheaper just to fly into Rome for training etc and fly out again.

Let's hope tonight is a great advert for the NE, England and Rugby in general.

Offline misterfacts

• Senior Colt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2019, 11:25:32 AM »
I was at the match last night and I am wondering if I can get my money back for the first half. What a terrible display from the majority of the English players. The match did get better in the second half but it could hardly have got worse. The players looked as though they had thoughts on other things. Farrell was very poor and as my mate quoted " he has kicked the ball more than Alan Shearer did when playing at St. James". And who made Ben Youngs player of the match. I wonder how many tackles and carries Mark Wilson made or the carries and line out play from Courtney Lawes.
The beer was £5.50 a pint, the metro escalator was not working at Haymarket but still I got home just in time for the highlights of the match (?) only to hear one of the worst commentators for a rugby match, Brian Moore. On hindsight while drinking my whisky I thought it could have been marginally worse, we could have had Eddie Butler helping Brian Moore commentating. £90 well spent? Something I will have to think about that while watching a local match this afternoon.

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 11:45:05 AM »
Totally agree Misterfacts.
They sold it as a full test and charged massive prices, yet the players went out there and had a nice cosy warm-down practice session.
You know it's been a shit game when the highlights were the Mexican wave, which I normally hate, and the tannoy announcer's ridiculous Scooby-Doo voice.

The regrettable thing about it is that thousands of the seats were occupied by first-time Rugby watchers. They won't be interested in seeing any more after that.

As a financial enterprise it will have been a success. As a sporting event it was an abject failure.

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 09:49:42 AM »
Japan yesterday were phenomenal.

Wales looking good so far in their first half performance agains Australia too.

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 10:50:32 PM »
Japan were brilliant, defending like a swarm of bees! But Ireland were poor and looked like they'd all done a 20 mile run in their warm-up. Joe Schmidt more or less admitted afterward that he'd dropped a clanger leaving Sexton out of the squad - he obviously expected to beat Japan at a canter and instead looked shell shocked throughout the game.
As romantic as the story is, I can't see any of the other tier 1 nations being ambushed in the same way - except possibly the Jocks of course!

Wales and Oz put on a great show but that will have taken a lot out of the two squads in my opinion - can they maintain that level of intensity? I doubt it personally.

England are in a good place. People have questioned their performances so far but that's naive - they've made no attempt to field their 'gun team' or bring their 'A game' yet - it was very noticeable v USA, for example, that Big Billy never carried from a ruck once; standing out of the way and allowing others to take contact. As we know, that's not his game at all and he was clearly just building game time whilst staying out of bother. He came off at half-time.
We'll see a ramping up against Argentina.

Here's something to ponder - Wales are statistically world No. 1. Now consider this: how many of their squad would get in the England gun team?
In my opinion, Alun Wyn Jones, Tipuric and Liam Williams MIGHT. I wouldn't swap any of the rest of their squad for any of ours.

Eddie Jones will have come into the tournament pretty sure of his front-line 15, but I think he will make one change based on what he's seen so far.
Watson will take over the 15 shirt and Daley will drop to the bench. He was woeful against USA, and the main weakness for me is his inability to field the ball, look up, pick a gap and run hard at it. All the best full-backs have this ability and sadly, as good a rugby player as he undoubtedly is, he does not. He jinks one way then the other on the spot, then takes the tackle.
Watson, by contrast (and Jack Nowell and Mike Brown for that matter), catches then immediately hares off into space.
If only Stuart Hogg were English, as he is the best in the world at that!
Another reason to make that change is that Daley is a superb asset to have on the bench - he can cover every back position and might just win you a game with a long-range kick at the death.

...We'll see!

Offline stuartdm

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2019, 09:55:55 AM »

Here's something to ponder - Wales are statistically world No. 1. Now consider this: how many of their squad would get in the England gun team?
In my opinion, Alun Wyn Jones, Tipuric and Liam Williams MIGHT. I wouldn't swap any of the rest of their squad for any of ours.

Gareth Davies for Ben Youngs - surely.

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2019, 09:21:52 PM »
Yes Stu, I'll give you that one, as Joe Simpson would've been my England no. 9 for about the last 5 seasons and has never really had a sniff, which I find absolutely inexplicable.
Youngs has had the delay that was built into his flawed passing technique coached out of him over the last 2 seasons, and on his day he's up there with the best, but I'd still have Spencer, Wigglesworth and Care in front of him for their consistency, decision-making and speed of service.
Good call.
Anyone suggest another?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 12:36:38 AM by Mugsy »

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2019, 01:04:06 PM »
Daley kept his shirt for the Argies game and played well, although his ability in the area I've highlighted wasn't tested, surprisingly.
I still think Jones's best back 3 is May 11, Nowell 14 and Watson 15 with Daley benching, so I'm interested to see if he makes that change in the next phase.

There's also the question of cover for Billy. I'd have kept Wilson out of the squad for Argentina and France, to eliminate the possibility of both No8 enforcers being injured in the same game, which would be disastrous - and given Wilson's recent training injury and Billy's tendency to get hurt, it could easily happen.
The pundits said Ludlum played well when he came on, but he missed a straightforward tackle which led to the Argie try. Wilson never misses tackles like that and should be ahead of him for the knockout phase in my opinion - even if I am biased!

The tournament is shaping up perfectly - there are 5 nations who could realistically lift the trophy, the hosts are doing really well and play an exciting brand, and England are looking very solid, oozing class across the park and throughout the whole squad.
Lots to look forward to!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 10:41:24 PM by Mugsy »

Offline Slam

• Senior Colt
  • The good old days
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2019, 02:23:00 PM »
England v France off

Italy v NZ off

Scotland v Japan.......