Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cumbria 1  (Read 4114 times)

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Cumbria 1
« on: October 27, 2019, 11:16:26 AM »
May as well have a thread on this seeing as one of them will be getting promoted into this league.

At the moment it looks like Cockermouth, Wigton or Whitehaven.

I played at Wigton as a Colt - a great club and not too far away on a bus if my memory serves.

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Re: Cumbria 1
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 03:00:18 PM »
Mugsy May have something to add on this thread as Cockermouth are his ď2nd teamĒ. Pretty decent by all accounts.

Offline Pied Piper of Hameln

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 03:08:41 PM »
What's the standard like over there now Renegade have you refereed over there recently

Offline dar1

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 03:15:39 PM »
What happens if the team coming over to DN1 the following year comes bottom of DN1 do they go to DN2 ? or transfer back over to Cumbria ?

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 06:00:31 PM »
I have but at L6 which is good to be fair, we usually go over in pairs and one does L7 as well and they say it compares to our DN1 so I think the standard is similar Pied Piper.

Offline Pied Piper of Hameln

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 07:14:46 PM »
Good to hear so the side who wins Cumbria 1 you would imagine are going to be a strong force in DN1

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 07:57:28 PM »
I tell you one thing though, all the clubs Iíve reffed at over in Cumbria are cracking clubs so theyíll be a welcome addition into the league and Iím sure the players will enjoy playing it bet there as well.

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
  • View from the blue horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 06:10:56 PM »
Good to hear so the side who wins Cumbria 1 you would imagine are going to be a strong force in DN1
It's difficult to compare, but I think whether it's Cockermouth, Wigton or Whitehaven they'll have a hard season in DN1. At present I'd say any of those would probably just about top DN2 but wouldn't win every game.
Plus they'll have problems with availability for the 2 to 3 hour drive to every away fixture. In their favour, however, is the fact that everyone else will have the same difficulty when travelling to them.
The Guv says Wigton isn't too far away, and I agree - for those of us in the North with easy access to the A69 - but as we've seen in past threads, many at the Teesside end of our region consider Wigton and Aspatria to be thousands of miles across the frozen wastes of the Arctic tundra.

Offline Teessidewire

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 11:32:52 AM »
Wigtown is fine, but Aspatria is just off the edge of flat earth. Going over oce a year shouldnít be a problem from over this side of the country, but for whoever comes into our league every other game will be hard work, especially at this level of rugby. Canít see it working too well.

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2019, 02:04:58 PM »
Iím lucky enough to referee usually once a month in Cumbria and the conversation after games is often around this subject amongst others. Most of the clubs are used to travel, they played Lancs and Cheshire sides until last season and the majority are reasonably easy to get to. Longest trip for me this season has 1hr45 to Kendal but if itís Aspatria or Wigton itís 1hr20ish.

One thing I can say is the clubs are well run, friendly and welcoming so if clubs this side can raise decent sides I think they will add to depth of our game. Like TSW says it depends on whether the players agree though.

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 04:50:49 PM »
Wigton and Aspatria are neighbouring towns - ten minutes away from one another.
But thanks for confirming what I wrote about you lot down there John!

Offline No. 6 to Middlegate

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 05:17:14 PM »
It is true that individual journeys in the Lancs/Cumbria league will have been even longer than the 200 mile round trips needed to reach, say, Teesside club's next season.  However those past trips will have been offset by there being half a dozen Cumbria clubs in that league. Next season the lucky Cumbria club will have about a 3 hour ish and longer journey time every other week.  Over the Pennines.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 06:09:13 PM by No. 6 to Middlegate »

Offline Teessidewire

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2019, 03:45:52 PM »
Wigton and Aspatria are neighbouring towns - ten minutes away from one another.
But thanks for confirming what I wrote about you lot down there John!
Really? It seemed miles away compared to Wigton. Only been to Aspatria once, whereas Wigton used to be a regular trip in the old North One. First trip there for me was in 1978.

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2019, 04:07:33 PM »
I made my debut for Durham County Colts at Wigton in 1978!

Offline Teessidewire

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2019, 08:22:27 PM »
It is true that individual journeys in the Lancs/Cumbria league will have been even longer than the 200 mile round trips needed to reach, say, Teesside club's next season.  However those past trips will have been offset by there being half a dozen Cumbria clubs in that league. Next season the lucky Cumbria club will have about a 3 hour ish and longer journey time every other week.  Over the Pennines.
No fun whatsoever coming over the top in January and February. I canít help but think that by trying to solve a problem a bigger problem has been created.