Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Carona Virus  (Read 772 times)

Offline No1No2

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Carona Virus
« on: March 09, 2020, 01:21:05 PM »
What would happen if the leagues suspend/postpone  the remaining fixtures due to the virus

how would they set up the leagues next season ???

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
  • View from the blue horizon
    • View Profile
Re: Carona Virus
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 09:10:45 PM »
I'd say there are too many variables and unknowns to answer that at this time. Will depend on the severity of outbreak, infection rate and evolving Governmental policy.
It's speculation this, but if the worst hits us and all fixtures are cancelled until further notice, the league positions and points at the point of cancellation will surely stand.

On that subject, my missus was at Morrison's at the weekend and saw a woman take a trolley-load of bog rolls to the check out. The manager told her she couldn't take them and could have one pack only. She made a scene so he told her she couldn't have any and had to leave.
Marvellous! Big kudos to that guy. And a kick up the hoop to all the selfish, ignorant cretins who are stockpiling stuff for no reason whatsoever.

Offline LineoutGeneral

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 11:17:40 AM »
Think we'd have to wait until the country was on lockdown similar to Italy for that to even be a thought. cant see that happening between now and the end of the season. Media blowing things out of proportion as always remember the ebola outbreak a few year ago that was going to kill everyone off what happened to that did it just disappear?? this is no different give it 6 weeks everyone will be back in there local Chinese takeaway eating bats, cats, snakes and dogs again and this will all be a distant memory.

Offline No. 6 to Middlegate

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 04:38:12 PM »
Well I hope Lineout General is correct but I doubt it. Given the current rate of infections and deaths continuing to grow I expect that major curbs will be put in place in the UK; which will include sport.   Alternatively an individual club will have someone diagnosed with the virus and will either restrict activities or will be avoided by other clubs. 

To go back to the original point the rugby season extends to 30 May and league / play off games can be played until then.  If the virus spread goes as most expect though this is probably still not enough. I'd concur with Mugsy then that whatever the situation is at any possible cancellation will stand.

A bit gloomy I know but this virus is unprecedented in modern times even in First World countries.

Offline atilla

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 07:40:11 PM »
Think we'd have to wait until the country was on lockdown similar to Italy for that to even be a thought. cant see that happening between now and the end of the season. Media blowing things out of proportion as always remember the ebola outbreak a few year ago that was going to kill everyone off what happened to that did it just disappear?? this is no different give it 6 weeks everyone will be back in there local Chinese takeaway eating bats, cats, snakes and dogs again and this will all be a distant memory.
The expert on controlling that over in Africa just happens to be the expert controlling this latest one over here.
He knows a tad more than most armchair media moaners on the subject. If Piers Morgan would shut up moaning he might just learn something.

Offline atilla

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 05:38:49 PM »
Just in.
"...Further to my email earlier please see the following statement in relation to Clarification on Fixture Postponements affected by Covid-19 – please note this applies to this weekend’s games only.

Please can you distribute as appropriate within your DOC/NCA network.

RFU’s Marketing Team are sending the same message to clubs (via the Community Game Update distribution list), CB’s and referee associations.

Thanks for your patients today and please feel free to ring me if you have any questions over the weekend.

Kind regards

Paul

Clarification on Fixture Postponements affected by Covid-19
We would like to provide clarification on the impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) in organised competitions.

The government yesterday announced that there is no change in advice regarding sporting events at the moment i.e. they can continue. Given this, league and cup games planned for this weekend will played as usual.  However we recognise that competition organisers, players and clubs are seeking advice on specific details, so the RFU’s position is that in the event of situations where:

(a) Covid-19 case or cases have been reported or suspected in relation to player and/or individuals connected to a club (or closely connected to a club, player or such other individual connected to a club); and/or
(b) such individuals are subject to the Governmental advice to self-isolate;

Postponements of fixtures involving the clubs will be permitted as a justifiable reason for postponement, subject to clubs notifying the opposition and the competition organiser of the postponement (in accordance with competition organisers’ instructions). The RFU regulations will continue to apply.   

We will keep this under continual review and will be assessing the situation over the weekend in line with latest Government advice.  If there are any planned changes to the future playing of the league and cup programmes this will be communicated to clubs and participants as soon as possible."

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 07:15:37 PM »
''Thank you for your patients''!!!
Hahahahahaha! Class.

Offline Pied Piper of Hameln

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 10:13:41 AM »
It will be interesting to see what decision is made with promotion and relegation if the season is cut short. Some tough decisions to make and pleased I am not the one making them, because no matter the decision there will be clubs felt hard done by.

Offline atilla

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 06:50:06 PM »
ALL Rugby now formally suspended until at least 14th April.

Offline Pied Piper of Hameln

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 07:54:25 PM »
Think that will be season over personally.

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2020, 09:23:42 PM »
Think we all now know that mid - April is a ''let's see where we are by then'' strategy, which looks likely to be about when the infection rate begins to hit it's peak.
Definitely no more Rugby this season then, and taking a longer view I now wonder if there'll be any more in 2020.
Those clubs which own their clubhouses and have enough of a war chest to cover overheads for several months may elect to simply lock up the premises and wait it out. They may survive, but I fear for those in less fortunate circumstances. Perhaps the Government's support proposals for businesses might extend to sports clubs with bars?
Some would no doubt argue that right now we should be worrying about more important things, and they're probably right.