Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tetleys bitter cup  (Read 393 times)

Offline LineoutGeneral

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Tetleys bitter cup
« on: March 28, 2020, 02:10:00 PM »
Bit sick hearing about coronavirus and with it ending the season and no sport on the tv. Ive just sat and watched the newcastle falcons v harlequins match from 2000/01 on youtube the things you do to cure boredom. What actually happened to the tetleys bitter cup and why was it stopped from being played. Surely an FA cup style cup is abit interesting from just your usual league rugby.

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Re: Tetleys bitter cup
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 07:05:30 PM »
I was down at Twickenham for that. Caught the coach from Kingston Park with a load of my colleagues from St Nick's Hospital at daft o'clock and it was very icy if l remember right. I remember the Falcons getting a very late score to win and spirits were rather high throughout the journey back. Quite a day.

Offline LineoutGeneral

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 07:27:54 PM »
It was a nervy watch despite knowing the score before i put it on. Harlequins should've won that match to be fair.

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 10:11:53 PM »
I was there the season before when they got heavily beaten by Wasps. It's a shame such competitions have fallen off the calendar. I suppose the premiership big knobs dictate everything in our sport like they do in footy.

Offline LineoutGeneral

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 08:41:23 AM »
Thats what im wandering why was it stopped from being played? As im sure it was any team in national leagues were allowed to enter. Surely a premiership teams under 21s or A team playing the likes of mowden park and co would still be a good advert for rugby

Offline Pied Piper of Hameln

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 01:53:46 PM »
Would imagine it was stopped for the usual reasons no money in it for the big clubs. Usually why things that fans enjoy are stopped.

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 04:59:36 PM »
Itís a shame this competitor stopped. I had no idea it was also the Pilkington Cup. I do think they should bring back a Pilkington Cup style tournament for County Cup winners. It might reinvigorate the county cup comps around the country.