Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Poll

When will the Season Restart?

October
0 (0%)
November
6 (17.1%)
December
1 (2.9%)
January
15 (42.9%)
February
2 (5.7%)
March
1 (2.9%)
April
0 (0%)
No chance Bonny lad!
10 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Season Restart Poll  (Read 8342 times)

Offline Badgerbear77

• Alickadoo
  • Views are my own
    • View Profile
Re: Season Restart Poll
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2020, 05:07:09 PM »
If a pro club like Sale can get it wrong and have a mass outbreak what chance does a local community club have of safeguarding against it.

Mind, the rumour mill is saying the Sale lads went out on the lash after winning the prem cup hence the bursting of the bubble... If thats true how can they be allowed to postpone rather than concede.. especially with Northampton being forced to concede their last fixture!!

Its another PR disaster for elite rugby im afraid

Im at a committee meeting tomorrow (Over Zoom!) to decide if we restart our adult rugby but I doubt we will again until at least November for training. Im worried lads arent getting their rugby fix, im terrified other things will take over and leave us short handed when it restarts.

I do think a period of good old fashioned friendly local fixtures for the return when it happens rather than straight back in to leagues might just help reset us. Its depressing but its the way it is.

Rugby is for everyone, not just the chosen few

Offline No. 6 to Middlegate

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2020, 05:15:10 PM »
Let me word it slightly different No6 I cant see the government allowing rugby to return until we have a vaccine.

Yet you yourself have said " what happens if there is no vaccine found next year? Do we really think the public especially the young are going to put up with having there civil liberties and freedoms taken away from them indefinitely I dont think so."

Offline flish

• 1st XV
  • Ref more than I play
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2020, 05:46:03 PM »
If a pro club like Sale can get it wrong and have a mass outbreak what chance does a local community club have of safeguarding against it.

In defence of Sale it seems they were tested on Wednesday and all clear, then two days later it turns out that one of those tests was actually positive, so for at least 48 hours a COVID positive player was interacting with other players and staff (albeit within the training protocols) so thatís got to be a significant alarm bell.

Steve Diamond has flatly denied that the players went out, Iím more inclined to believe him rather than twitter!

I note your point though, if Sale canít trust test results then who can ?

Offline redredwine

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2020, 06:21:54 PM »
We could always play rugby league/No scrums ,no rucks as such ,no mauls. Rather do that than play touch

Offline Badgerbear77

• Alickadoo
  • Views are my own
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2020, 09:11:11 PM »
I fear that option may appeal to a few .... Loads of new RL clubs popping up all the time. And they will be playing before us if football is allowed.

Offline bigbadwolf

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2020, 09:09:05 AM »
Lets just start playing. get the players in, lock the gates. do a temperature check. play the game.

I dont see how playing touch rugby in training is in any way less contact than a normal game in terms of breathing by eachother.

Lets just have a game!

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
  • View from the blue horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2020, 10:40:52 AM »
I think we all feel the same BBW, we all want this big part of our lives back; but there should be no Touch Rugby being played either.
And even if there were, there is a huge difference in terms of potential viral transmission between Touch and full contact. We don't notice during the game, but watch the slo-mo replays on televised games - the players are showering saliva, sweat, snot and blood all over each other continuously. Scrummaging is basically the ultimate virusfest.
I suspect that even the testing process itself is going to come under increased scrutiny in the weeks to come - it has never been claimed to be 100% accurate and clearly isn't anywhere near - which throws a big dirty spanner at the idea that testing is the golden bullet that prevents outbreaks.
Taking forehead temperatures is a much, much weaker indicator and to my mind a waste of time, which is why it wasn't brought in at British airports months ago. They do it at my local gastropub as a gesture, knowing full well that punter A could have an elevated temperature and no virus, while punter B has a normal temperature and is a heavily-infected Superspreader.

I feel your frustration and sometimes I get so fed up with it all that I think ''let's just let the thing do it's worst, rip through society and be done with it!''
But then my sense of balance returns and I think of all the horrible deaths, the overrun hospitals, the logjammed GP surgeries, the people with other illness who can't get help and the thousands of devastated families.
The Government and scientists have an impossible task trying to make the right decisions; I'm just glad it's not me.
As infuriating as it may be, I think we just have to take a deep breath and wait it out.

Offline Onlyhereforthelineouts

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2020, 11:35:45 AM »
The problem is how long will that deep breath to wait it out need to be?

The Government has no (obvious) plan for us to leave this lock down. We stay locked down for the next 6 months, at which point things are released and then everything spikes again.

On the basis that all numbers seem to point towards the risk in younger people with no health problems being very, very low I don't understand how the entire country can be kept inside. The mental and financial health of the country is being destroyed.

A more sensible view, in my opinion, is to have targeted lock down of those at risk. I honestly believe that Boris has been scared by his infection and is overreacting.

I would be really interested for the deaths each day to be broken down by age. I honestly believe that if people saw that it was old, at risk people who this was affecting their attitude to the whole things would change. 

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2020, 11:44:05 AM »
I often think I am the only muppet who sticks to the rules whatever they be, maybe it's my military background but I try to look at the greater good and follow orders.

All around me everyone I know is breaking rules, even my own mother who is a proper god fearing catholic woman and never ever does anything wrong is till mixing out of her household.

It all leads to an absolute shambles tbh and I guess if they can't agree on how the country can operate in real life then things like rugby are really going to be on the backburner. Once the spring arrives and we've had 12 months + of living with it maybe we might see a way forward?

I hope all the priceless volunteers who run clubs can manage to navigate through all these problems to emerge on the other side and the game can be resurrected to it's former glories.

Offline Pied Piper of Hameln

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2020, 04:23:56 PM »
I have sort of flip flopped about on this issue one minute thinking we should be playing as soon as we can. Then thinking not until we get a vaccine then back again I think its because I am missing rugby . I think the thoughts on the forum pretty much reflect the country. Some who think the Government have gone to far and others who think there should be more restrictions. In fact you will find there is a split in the Government on this and even amongst Epidemiologists and other Scientists. I can see both sides of the argument as both my parents are in there 80s have some health issues so worry about them catching the virus. I also have a 16yo son and I worry about the impact it is having on him. Having his social life destroyed his rugby taken away from him and lots of other freedoms we took for granted. Not to mention his future and the fact his generation are going to be picking the tab up for this for years to come. Having said all that I think caution is probably the best option if the Government are wrong well the country is losing a lot of money for little benefit. If those who say we should open up and shield the vulnerable are wrong then the consequences would be thousands if not tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths. So better to be wrong and lose a few billion than be wrong and lose a few thousand Grandmothers, Grandfathers, Fatthers, Mothers and Friends. Every day that passes we are a day closer to rugby returning and honestly believe rugby will be back as strong no stronger than ever.

Offline Badgerbear77

• Alickadoo
  • Views are my own
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2020, 05:10:12 PM »
A quote from someone who I can't remember has stuck with me throughout all of this.

You can restart the economy, you can restart rugby (i added that bit) but you can't restart a person once they are gone.

I've also thought sod it, let just play... but one person catches it as a result of rugby dies is one too many for me. Direct or indirect.

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 06, 2020, 10:12:39 AM »
Life is precious, I honestly would hate for anyone to lose their life because I couldn't be bothered to try and be careful. Although we live in a pretty self, self, self culture currently i think this is a time when that is being reset.

Life will carry on and rugby for that matter after this, I know I would hate to have the responsibility for all this so I have ultimate respect for those who do. I think the spring will bring a new dawn to be honest and life will return to a new normal but that'll be a year of the hard slog and all of us are weary with it now.

One thing is for sure, I know we will all love every minute of our rugby to come in the future having been denied it like this.

Offline No. 6 to Middlegate

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2020, 06:03:23 PM »
Another little twist. Women's Premier 15s to start on Saturday.  With no testing.  But  some changes to laws.  More details below.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/54421879

Offline Onlyhereforthelineouts

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2020, 06:17:02 PM »
I have decided today my views must be wrong - I found myself agreeing with one of Trumps tweets about COVID!

I am taking myself off for a lie down as there is clearly something very wrong with me.

Offline Pied Piper of Hameln

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2020, 03:13:59 PM »