Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New law directives at the breakdown  (Read 704 times)

Offline Pied Piper of Hameln

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Re: New law directives at the breakdown
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2020, 10:20:19 PM »
Agree Refs have settled down a bit but also think the players have adapted.  Watched the NZ v Australia game at the weekend and the players are definitely not pushing the offside line at the breakdown and tacklers are definitely making a big effort to role away.

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
  • View from the blue horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2020, 01:19:39 PM »
Just watching my recording of Bristol V Sarries; Michael Rhodes drives into a double tackle. Piatau goes high on him, wrestles him down then clamps on the ball, probably before the tackle was complete. Rhodes doesn't give it up.
Referee Matthew Carney penalises Piatau!
He explains: ''He must be allowed time to fairly place the ball.''
Music to my ears, but a complete reversal of the way that situation has been reffed since the Prem restarted - and I think a clear indication that the RefSoc have discussed the matter and realised their approach was producing an awful game.

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2020, 01:34:41 PM »
Luke Pearce gave a good explanation of how he see's the tackle in the game he did at the weekend. "I'm not even going to consider the jackal until the tackler/s have released and rolled away" the tackled player must be allowed to try and place/release the ball.

Quite clear I thought!

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2020, 01:50:58 PM »
Yes seen that Les he was spot on. One of the biggest positives are that they are hammering the tacklers for not rolling away. To be fair the players are starting to respond aswell and the result is quicker ball.

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
  • View from the blue horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2020, 02:53:19 PM »
Excellent; it seems we may have our game back.
All that remains now is to stop all the forward passing; stop penalising every fumble backwards as a knock-on; minimise all the box kicking; minimise the kick tennis; stop scrums being used as a vehicle for milking penalties; get each scrum over in a maximum of one minute; make more of an effort to stop defenders deliberately running in front of kick chasers and stop defenders sliding into try-scorers with their knees!

(Just a few of my pet hates, as you already know!)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 02:56:36 PM by Mugsy »

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2020, 05:54:07 PM »
Was having a think about the Scrums the other day funnily enough and there was one or two things I thought if which may or may not help be interested in players officials thoughts.

1. Any scrum offence outside either 22 would be awarded as a free kick and not a penalty.

2. Take away the option of a scrum from a penalty.

The first should speed up scrums.
The second should speed up the game.