Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: S Africa to join 6 Nations?  (Read 454 times)

Offline Pied Piper of Hameln

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
S Africa to join 6 Nations?
« on: October 01, 2020, 11:31:55 AM »
Interesting developments with S Africa leaving/kicked out of Super Rugby. With the South African board now not being on the best of terms with N Zealand and Australia will this lead to S Africa joining the 6 Nations. It has a lot of benefits for S Africa most of there top players play in Europe. Similar time zone so S African fans will be able to watch tv games in the afternoon or evening. Most importantly to the S African board I would imagine more money from there share of TV revenue. It maybe that it becomes a 7 Nations but not to sure the clubs will be in favour. So if I was Italy I would be having a few worrying glances over more shoulder.

Offline TeessideRugby

• View Profile
Re: S Africa to join 6 Nations?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 01:32:34 PM »

Can we really suggest that sending a squad of players along, with the 10s of staff, across to South Africa is economically viable especially after scrapping an accredited Olympic sport (7s).

I like the sound of England playing South Africa.

But lets keep Six Nations as Europe.

Georgia deserve a chance.

The only problem might be that the Six Nations is a private group and they can do whatever they want.

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 01:46:50 PM »
If its going to cost countrys money let's face it it isnt going to happen. But if I was a broadcaster would I pay more money for the TV rights for a 6 Nations with S Africa in think the answer to that is yes. Also will it cost that much more to send a squad to S Africa every other year for 1 game than it does to send them to Italy probably not. Look in some ways I would like to see it happen I would much rather watch England play S Africa than a one sided game against Italy.

Offline TeessideRugby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 01:54:37 PM »
Yeah I see you point. England V Italy is a lose lose for England.

Win by a lot you're playing Italy.

Win by a little and you are laughed at.

However I would rather watch England vs New Zealand etc but that's why we have autumn/summer tests and world cups.

By playing these bigger games more frequently are we not diluting their importance and thus making them less attractive.

NZ vs England at Twickenham is the hottest ticket in town and why because we only play them at home ever 4 years or so. possibly more

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 02:38:10 PM »
I dont think playing S Africa one more time a year is going to dilute the experience in fact I would like to see the Northern and Southern hemisphere sides play more often. What I would like to see is a 6 Nations Div 2. Which would probably be for me would be Italy, Georgia, Romania, Russia, Spain and Germany. With the winner playing the bottom side from Div 1 home and away in a play off. Anyway I digress this post was more about the hypothesis of South Africa joining the 6/7 Nations.

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 11:04:34 AM »
I've heard mutterings that it could become a two tier competition.

Top 5 in one division and the next lot in a second which puts Scotland and Italy squarely in the firing line.

Probably looking like;

T1

England
France
Wales
Ireland
S Africa

T2

Scotland
Italy
Georgia
with talk of involving Russia, Spain and possibly Romania if they can get their act together?

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 11:53:03 AM »
Like the look of that Les  ;D

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 01:50:06 PM »
But would prefer groups of 6

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 07:49:18 PM »
South Africa pull out of Rugby Championship interesting?

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 12:13:32 AM »
Not played an international since they ploated us in the RWC Final.
Up the Harbour!!

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2020, 05:23:35 PM »
After watching Georgia last night and Italy today it's time to go back to a 5 Nations unless S Africa can be persuaded to head North. Quite simply Italy and Georgia are not up to it.

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2020, 07:01:06 PM »
Fully agree mate. I thought the Georgians would have come on leaps and bounds by now - particularly as so many of them play in the French Top 14 league - yet they continue to stay put. Shows how big a step up it is.
Up the Harbour!!

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2020, 07:39:44 PM »
Yes sick of hearing that sides will only get better if they get exposure to tier 1 Nations. So to put that old pony in the bin Italy have only won 12 times since 2000. They haven't won since 2015 and to be honest the gap is as big if not bigger. So off to Div 2 5 Nations with Georgia,Romania, Russia and probably Spain.

Offline No. 6 to Middlegate

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2020, 08:17:43 PM »
After watching Georgia last night and Italy today it's time to go back to a 5 Nations unless S Africa can be persuaded to head North. Quite simply Italy and Georgia are not up to it.

I would agree with that.   I'd prefer to have S Africa in - when travel and COVID conditions permit. I suspect Steve Diamond at Sale and any other pro team in the UK or France with lots of Springboks won't be too chuffed mind.