Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: DMP Crowd Fund?  (Read 1030 times)

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
DMP Crowd Fund?
« on: October 23, 2020, 11:56:32 AM »
DMP seemingly struggling. Presumably like a whole host of National league clubs.

https://www.mowdenpark.com/news/mowden-launch-yourclub-crowdfunder-campaign-2579219.html
Throughout the club’s 70 year history, Darlington Mowden Park has grown to be one of the largest community rugby clubs in the North East. Despite facing a number of challenges and setbacks, DMP continues to be a thriving community club with a total of 26 teams from minis & juniors through to the club’s senior, vets, 1st XV and DMP Durham Sharks sides. As a club we continue to embrace our “Mowden Family” ethos in promoting rugby for all.

Unfortunately the club has been hit hard by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, which continues to restrict our club’s income in many ways. The current regulations have meant we are unable to welcome supporters back to the Arena, which has seen us lose out on valuable ticketing and hospitality revenue. Our conferencing, functions and events operations have also been hugely affected.

This dramatic loss of revenue has had numerous implications for the club, and we’ve had to rely heavily on the government’s furlough scheme as well as make very difficult decisions around a restructure of our staff and players alike. We have been hugely grateful for the support of those members who have renewed their subscriptions early, and likewise to sponsors who have extended their support of the club. Along with the backing of our Minis & Juniors sections, their support has been vital in helping us through a hugely testing summer.

However, with the latest guidance placing further pressure on our revenue streams, we are now approaching all our supporters, members, players, coaches, staff, volunteers and the wider local community for support. We ask for your support in our #YourClub campaign to raise funds for the good of the whole club, from 1st XV through to minis & juniors and the club’s Community Scheme.

Your support will help us get through this difficult time and remain a prominent community club in the North East. The #YourClub scheme will help the club meet costs across the board, from medical provision through to maintenance of our training pitches and members CrossBar.

Where Will The Money Raised Be Spent?

Your support will help the club in the following areas:

Providing appropriate support and facilities for our players to continue training safely
Maintaining all of our pitches throughout the winter months.
Supporting the loss of match-day and arena income due to COVID-19, providing support to all areas of DMPRFC while we tackle the current crises
Improving floodlighting on training pitches and warm up areas to keep all of our players safe.
Maintaining our changing rooms and toilet facilities.
Improving and maintaining our members CrossBar.
Implementing measures to safely return to rugby from COVID-19 for all club players, coaches, staff, volunteers, members and supporters.

You can support the #YourClub campaign by clicking here

Rewards

As a thank you to those who kindly donate to our #YourClub campaign, we are offering a variety of rewards for all pledges:

Entry into the #YourClub Prize Draw

Everyone who donates to our #YourClub fund will be automatically entered into our exclusive raffle draw, with prizes including international tickets, concert tickets, signed shirts, kit bundles, hotel stays, spa days, meals, and even track days!

Tickets to our #YourClub Match Day

Once supporters can safely return to the Arena for 1st XV and Sharks fixtures, the club will be organising a #YourClub match day, as an opportunity to say thank you to the brilliant people who help support our club. Everyone who donates will receive a pair of tickets to our #YourClub day.

Name on the 2021/22 DMP Home Shirt

As a thank your for your fantastic support, next season’s Macron home shirt will feature the names of everyone who has kindly donated to our #YourClub campaign. All of the names will be sublimated within the club’s trademark blue hoops, and will feature on both playing and replica shirts for the 2020/21 campaign.

Name on our #YourClub Wall of Fame

Next summer we’ll be installing a Wall of Fame to acknowledge everyone who has supported the club through such a tough time. The Wall of Fame will take pride of place in the members’ CrossBar for all to see, and will be unveiled at our first home game of the 2021/22 season.

You can support the #YourClub campaign by clicking here

On behalf of everyone at Darlington Mowden Park, we thank you for your generosity and support throughout this difficult time. We look forward to seeing you all at the Arena very soon!

#MowdenFamily #YourClub

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Re: DMP Crowd Fund?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 02:34:12 PM »
I know the Sharks have basically reduced their 1st team squad down to a low cost, students and local talent level to try and fulfil the fixture list. I can imagine the whole club's running costs are considerable as well trying to maintain and run that stadium, I hope they can find a way through their troubles, genuinely although they are the premium non premiership club in the area they still maintain some of the old club around the place which is nice to see.

Offline Groundsman

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 03:56:50 PM »
Interesting situation, big club , big budget , hope they succeed  but we are all in an identical situation, did DMP support Blyth when their heating packed in ? Hope they did. Sadly heard today of a very old local club which is in a dire financial situation and to which I would gladly donate  having played for them for a short while in my very young days.It seems to me the only way we can cope, is for all club members to contribute on top of the normal membership fees to keep the show on the road. ---- any views ?
BUT isn't it interesting to compare  all our club efforts and that of the RFU 's to stay  afloat ,,when you read about some of the Barbarians walking out of their controlled area  for meal causing the probable abandonment of a game against England which would have raised Money for all of us. It just beggars belisf how selfish those players are. If I had my way they would all be banned from the game !!!!

Online Pied Piper of Hameln

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 04:37:59 PM »
A lot of places it says the money is going to interesting that they are short of money but want to spend money improving floodlights and there bar surely this should be done when they are in a more secure financial position. Wish them well in there quest but will not be donating.

Online Badgerbear77

• Alickadoo
  • Views are my own
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 10:18:06 PM »
Many clubs face difficult financial times and while clubs should work together its probably down to members to help as much as they can. Im assuming dmp are requesting help from their own?

Im afraid I wouldn't be donating... though I do hope they come through the problems.

Rugby is for everyone, not just the chosen few

Offline AcmeThunderer

• Senior Colt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 12:41:25 AM »
I'm struggling a bit with this. I very much applaud DMP's ambition to try and climb the greasy pole, I love the Sharks effort to be in the top tier and to represent the north east at a high level, but let's be realistic. To be a successful professional entity, in whatever field, (unless you're in the Arts/ Opera etc where some old school led quango will fund you), you have to have a sound financial policy. You have to be able to get enough people to buy your product. Most rugby clubs, including many of those in the Premiership, and also DMP, don't generate enough income to support their outgoings. I hear that even Exeter, (a wedding venue with a very successful  rugby club attached), is losing a mint each month because of the lockdown. If you pay players then that money disappears out of the game, it pays for their new cars, mortgages etc.  but doesn't contribute to the continuation of any club. There are many examples of clubs trying to buy  success/ advancement and coming a cropper so I don't have much sympathy with those that go down that route. However I really hope that DMP get out of any financial trouble that they are in but most of their problems appear to be of their own making and  I'll be looking to support my own club through these difficult times rather than them. 

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
  • View from the blue horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 01:53:40 PM »
I don't disagree Acme, that Sports Clubs make their own bed and must lie in it; but I would say in defence of DMP and all other businesses that have found themselves struggling: Nobody saw this coming.
Despite there having been several pandemics throughout history, very few people worldwide will have had the foresight to write the consequences of one into their business sustainability plan. Personally I don't think DMP or any other business, charity or concern can realistically be criticised for failing to do so.

Groundsman, I may have this wrong but I read a post by you once which led me to believe you may have played at Preston Avenue for a while before you slid along the road to Hillheads.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 02:01:17 PM by Mugsy »

Offline Groundsman

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 04:26:32 PM »
Hello Mugsey, yes I did play a season at Park. I moved after a disagreement with the  chair of rugby , Geo Carr . Geo kept on obtaining harder and harder fixtures for the club when we were all getting older and older , I was in my mid thirties and past it as a first team player. Needless to say we
Kept  getting stuffed.  Not much fun, I got real bollocking when I asked if we could have some easier ones. So went to the Dark Side.

Loads of pals there and had a great time ,loved the place but bugger me , Geo turned up as a member !!! So----- back home to play 3A's rugby and I'm still there. Geo was a super player , great captain and as hard as nails, his three lads were the same so despite our disagreement we always respected each other views, I think.

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 01:17:44 PM »
Okay; since you mention the Carr family and leaving a club you loved, I'll do a bit of soul-baring as I have a similar tale to tell. Bear with me, it ends on a positive note!  :D
I was at Northern with Mark Carr throughout the second half of the 80s and met George once or twice.
What a back line I was lucky enough to play behind at 15 in those days - England fly-half Banty Johnson, best striker of a rugby ball I ever saw at any level; North of England and England A centre Graham Childs; gifted Northumberland County centre Brian Russell and Northumberland County wings Mark Carr and John Briggs, who were both big, abrasive, powerful men with lots of pace. The running lines were so straight and the passing so accurate that whenever I hit the line I was running into acres of space; it was a Full-Back's dream.
Tynedale captain Alan Gledson remarked after our win in a County cup final (when Mark scored the crucial try) that it was like playing against a team with a back row for their back 3, and that was quite a compliment coming from him!
I reluctantly left Northern as a result of being relieved of the captaincy in the fallout of what I considered to be some pretty squalid, underhand political shenanigans within the club following a relegation. I was replaced by Mark, which I only found out when I received a letter inviting me to pre-season training with my new captain! (That wasn't his fault of course).
I'd given everything I had to the captaincy and was absolutely heartbroken at the time - but as it turned out, the following 4 seasons proved to be the best and most enjoyable of my rugby career at Kingston Park with Newcastle Gosforth.
It was a lesson for me that - I've reminded myself of it a few times when things look a bit hopeless in life - there's light at the end of the tunnel, even in you can't see it yet!

If Park are in trouble I sincerely hope they can pull things round. One of the oldest, proudest clubs in the North with superb facilities. They allowed Gosforth to play their home games at Preston Avenue in their transition period between grounds - that's a crucial part of Falcons history and such a gesture should not be forgotten.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 01:28:26 PM by Mugsy »

Offline Groundsman

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 01:48:14 PM »
Mugsey, yes a similar experience but thank god it ain't Park in trouble, they have very astute management. It is a much smaller club which provided a grounding for some exceptional playersi n the 60's and 70's most based upon lads from Westmoor Grammar,  who were coached by Don Broughton a brilliant centre who played for Park. This is bordering on history now but I am talking about guys like the Patrick brothers, Alan Macmillan an England B player, John Barlow et al. This before your time Mugsey but you remind me of many games against Northern, my oppo was Ken Britton, Colin White was playing along with an  enormous second row.  Great days

Good to see your reply, needed a boost, just lost a pal to Covide !

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 04:06:47 PM »
I'm in contact with Harry Patrick; it was his 70th birthday last week and I instigated a bit of a jape utilising my old Rugby contacts whereby he received loads of cards he wasn't expecting, including one from Richard 'Arnie' Arnold in Australia!
He had a great day despite the restrictions on who he could celebrate with.

As for Alan McMillan, I was in his company at a dinner at the Falcons to raise funds for legendary back-rower Dave Robinson last year and have a photo of me and him having a craic. He stood on stage with Harry and Steve Gustard and the three of them related tales of Robbo back in the day. They were all excellent speakers and it was hilarious.

Sorry for your loss; it seems that every day I hear of someone else I know who has the virus.
My latest stab at your riddle would have to be Seggy.

Offline Groundsman

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 04:40:00 PM »
You're on the mark Mugsey, just hoping the rumours are wrong. It's just so bloody sad when this happens,they have been going for decades. Would love to have met up with Alan again, I think he went to play for Morpeth. When he and I were playing together, the club juke box continualy played Elvis 's Ain't Nothing  But A Hound Dog., Drove the old guys bonkers.

This is real history we should write a book, it would take the stress out of worrying about leagues, the return of the game etc. Keep Safe

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2020, 07:18:29 PM »
I think it’s worthy of its own thread in DN3 if it’s true?

Perhaps worth setting it up. I’d happily donate to a club like Seghill if they’re having troubles.  :(