Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Seghill in trouble?  (Read 843 times)

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Seghill in trouble?
« on: October 28, 2020, 10:29:25 AM »
I’ve no idea if it’s the DN rumour mill but are Seghill in trouble?

Hopefully they’re okay and they can bounce back after this dreadful year. I’m sure I and many others wouldn’t want any club to go to the wall during this crisis. If Seghill need help I’m sure there’d be some members (out of the 1400 on here) that would be willing to help them and others. I certainly would. After all, we are all rugby family!

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Re: Seghill in trouble?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 01:16:58 PM »
All bar DMP if their thread is anything to go by. There, that's all l'm saying on that matter.  :-X

l really feel for Seghill if they are struggling. I've been involved in rugby for 43 years and Seghill are one of those clubs l grew up playing against. Always a tough uncompromising opposition on the pitch but warm and hospitable afterwards.

Very much like my own club, they are the epitome of what a grass roots club should be. A down-to-earth bunch of good honest folk from a relatively small and proud mining community. With the likes of WBR, Morpeth, Ashington and Blyth a short drive away, the prospect of recruiting and retaining players must be quite a challenge.

I wish them the very best of luck and will do whatever l can to help.
Up the Harbour!!

Online Pied Piper of Hameln

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 01:54:07 PM »
Hope the rumours aren't true about Seghill good set of lads who play an exciting expansive game of rugby. Who's style of rugby puts a lot of sides further up the pyramid to shame. Hopefully Seghill will put a shout out for help if needed and I am sure a lot of the members of this forum would only be to happy to help.

Offline FCB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 02:00:46 PM »
Afternoon all, This rumour tends to re-appear every couple of years. Just to confirm that despite facing similar challenges to all of your clubs, there's no particular trouble or cause for concern at the present moment. We've a small but committed group of volunteers and training numbers are as expected, albeit we would love more!

Appreciate the concern but unsure how these rumours get started..

Online Pied Piper of Hameln

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 02:45:25 PM »
Great to here FCB  ;D

Offline Groundsman

• Junior Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 04:06:16 PM »
Shout out if you do need help, could never see Seghill go down without a fight !

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 09:23:24 PM »
Well said Groundsman.
Up the Harbour!!

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 09:25:03 PM »
Afternoon all, This rumour tends to re-appear every couple of years. Just to confirm that despite facing similar challenges to all of your clubs, there's no particular trouble or cause for concern at the present moment. We've a small but committed group of volunteers and training numbers are as expected, albeit we would love more!

Appreciate the concern but unsure how these rumours get started..

I'm just glad they're wrong FCB. Best of luck from everyone at Seaham RUFC.
Up the Harbour!!

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 09:37:27 AM »
Very glad to hear it’s just the rumour mill!

If any clubs ever are struggling this is a great platform to spread the message for help and support.

We get thousands of views a day; more than plenty of clubs’ twitters and Facebook pages, and specifically targeted for a rugby audience.

Very happy to hear Seghill are okay!

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2020, 10:34:40 AM »
Very glad to here that things are going ok for you guys, very fond memories of Seghill including breaking my ankle on a badly frozen pitch for Washy back in the 80's (ouch)!

Like others have said any help needed by any clubs please shout out so we can all pitch in!

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2020, 08:19:32 PM »
It’s funny. I was doing some rugby history research today and in 1928 Seghill were top of the 1st XV Merit Table that season, having only lost once out of 20. They were way ahead of clubs like Gosforth (now Falcons), Hartlepool Rovers, Northern, West Hartlepool and anyone else you can think of!

I know most clubs are pretty much there or thereabouts where they’ve been in the last 20-40 years but in sport anything can happen and we can all dream.

Who’s to say clubs currently in DN3 won’t one day be competing in DN1 or NE1 and winning major club honours in future and that those stronger clubs may hit tougher times and their playing records suffer?

It’ll be interesting to come back to this post in many years time, due to the indelibility of the internet, and see how some clubs are faring!

Hopefully Seghill will be marching back to those heady days again in future. We’ll have rugby again soon!