Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Government Bailout  (Read 258 times)

Online Pied Piper of Hameln

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Government Bailout
« on: November 19, 2020, 06:05:07 PM »
Rugby Union will receive a 135 million bailout.  When broken down this works out as:
RFU 44 million
Premiership Clubs 59 million
Championship Clubs 9 million
Clubs below Championship 23 million

Let's hope this is enough to make sure no clubs go out of business.

Online Badgerbear77

• Alickadoo
  • Views are my own
    • View Profile
Re: Government Bailout
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 09:57:57 PM »
I hope they dish the money out equally between clubs and keep it fair
Rugby is for everyone, not just the chosen few

Offline No. 6 to Middlegate

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 09:58:56 PM »
The total for all sports is 300m.  Broken down as  250m in loans and 50m in grants.  Wonder if the same ratio applies to Rugby Clubs below Championship?  If so that would be 23m divided by six i.e. 3,833,333 as grants.  Or about 2.000 per club if equal shares - though I suspect these grants will have to be applied for and will have qualifying criteria.    Let's see details when they are published.

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 01:10:10 PM »
2k per every junior club probably won't touch the sides. In this situation clubs who have little or no overheads will survive I think, any who have a bar, staff and all the permanent contracted payments that come with running a business will be rapidly running out of money.

Based on my own knowledge of the costs involved most junior clubs who have this profile will have operating costs of 2-5k per month (or more). With no rugby income (subs, match fees etc) and no hospitality income they will have furlough for salaries but that's it.

If any restrictions last until the new year or longer I think it will be a disaster, so many great clubs and community facilites at risk...it's crazy!

Offline davebarnes

• 1st XV
  • Remember when Rugby was a contact sport?
    • View Profile
    • Westoe RFC
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 02:14:32 PM »

As long as the top boys in the Premier are sorted with their frugal salaries, the RFU will be happy.
Bring back the ruck.

Offline Nicknack

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 08:34:49 PM »
Had to laugh at Bill Sweeney on Radio 5 earlier when he was defending the level of funding received against the accusation that rugby is only played in posh places and he cited Alnwick as a deprived community. If he thinks Alnwick is deprived he must live in a very posh location  :D

Offline WestPennine

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 07:34:06 AM »
Ha indeed nn, he described Prenton on the Wirral as "in the middle of a council estate", strange as I remember it being Old Rockferrians, the Old Boys club of the local Grammar School and whose Club Grounds have a Driving Range and 18 Hole Golf Course adjacent. Whilst not exactly millionaires mansions most of the local housing is privately owed and is hardly an urban dystopia.

The 23 Million earmarked for the Community Game is largely for loans so not exactly a financial early Christmas present for anyone. I fear the wannabes in the Championship will grab a big loan which they will struggle to pay back especially when the Premiership pull up the ringfencing drawbridge.