Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Falcons return, the state of the game and the role of Referees  (Read 2769 times)

Offline stuartdm

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Re: Falcons return, the state of the game and the role of Referees
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2021, 04:47:27 PM »
I only played No.8 once and butchered a push-over try. It's harder than it looks.

Offline Pied Piper of Hameln

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2021, 05:50:23 PM »
The problem I have with the scrum in the professional game is sides are using it to milk penalties not restart the game. You watch scrums on YouTube from 20 years ago they are quickly set and the ball is hooked to the back and whipped away by the scrum half in less than a minute start to finish. If you want to grow the game and get new people interested in the game it needs speeding up. That's the scrums and the game in general.

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2021, 07:42:28 PM »
Modern referees love the pomp and ceremony of just setting a scrum up, crouch - bind - set. You can see it, it gives them a proper semi!!

Let them set, make sure itís steady and get the ball in. Let them have a go and donít penalise a scrum for going backwards, if they stay in and bound inc back row thatís good enough.

If anyone mucks about being pretentious then penalise them thatíll speed scrums up.

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2021, 07:21:24 PM »
Another good win for the Falcons yesterday great to see local lad Adam Radwan skin England International Jonnie May. Another piece of positive news is the signing of former England fullback Mike Brown on a two year contract. He maybe 35 but still looks as fit as a butchers dog and is currently playing some cracking rugby and probably still the best England qualified Fullback.

Offline Badgerbear77

• Alickadoo
  • Views are my own
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2021, 10:28:28 PM »
Radwan is outstanding isnt he... genuine candidate for England surely? Mike Brown is a top notch signing... if this season. He'll bring young players on and he has that bit of competitive aggression we like in these parts.

The falcons are in good form and I am so pleased they are proving doubters wrong... much credit has to go to aidan mcgeady... a steady flow of young talent coming through... he will be proven a big loss in time.

Falcons look a quality outfit though... with the smallest budget in the prem by some distance.
Rugby is for everyone, not just the chosen few

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
  • View from the blue horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2021, 01:40:25 PM »
As you know I'm a Brown fan; I hope he's accepted a coaching/mentoring role as well as providing the second full-back we need along with Tom Penny. Hopefully this will see Tom Arscott kept away from that position and the further development of Penny and one or two prospects coming through the academy.
To be brutally honest I think he's lost a bit of pace and edge since he was prematurely dumped out of the England squad. Still a quality player though and I hope the move gives him a fresh appetite and the change he perhaps needs.
We have certainly benefitted of late from Deano's time at Quins, with Nick Easter doing what appears to be a great job as defence coach.

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2021, 06:46:23 PM »
Premiership Rugby announces a 2 week break until the 29th of January on top of the suspension of European competition.

Offline stuartdm

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2021, 04:31:39 PM »
As you know I'm a Brown fan; I hope he's accepted a coaching/mentoring role as well as providing the second full-back we need along with Tom Penny. Hopefully this will see Tom Arscott kept away from that position and the further development of Penny and one or two prospects coming through the academy.
To be brutally honest I think he's lost a bit of pace and edge since he was prematurely dumped out of the England squad. Still a quality player though and I hope the move gives him a fresh appetite and the change he perhaps needs.
We have certainly benefitted of late from Deano's time at Quins, with Nick Easter doing what appears to be a great job as defence coach.

Brown is passing the ball much more these days, he knows he isn't as quick. Still the best under a high ball though.