Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: England  (Read 2050 times)

Offline Pied Piper of Hameln

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Re: England Victory
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2020, 10:42:56 AM »
Yes agree Mugsy this could have serious ramifications for Rugby. Only last year the NFL came to a Billion Dollar (700M) settlement after a class action law suit. The same concerns are being brought up in football after the deaths of Jeff Astle and Nobby Stiles and the diagnosis of Bobby Charlton and many more players from continuously heading footballs. There are lots of questions at the moment.  Are these sports increasing the risk of dementia. If so by how much. If they are what can be done to mitigate the risk. This is what it comes down to,  there is risk in everything we do in life but you like to know. So for example if you regularly drink alcohol (guilty as charged your honour) you have a 17% higher risk of developing dementia in later life. So what I am trying to say is If I was still playing I would like to know the risk so I could make my own mind up.

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2020, 11:13:38 AM »
The argument against Thompson and others will no doubt be based on capacity. It will be argued that he had the mental capacity to know the risks, weight them up, then make an informed choice on whether or not to play. If he wins, our sport will be doomed as we know it.
Up the Harbour!!

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2020, 01:47:58 PM »
The changes the NFL made was minimal they reduced the amount of full contact training sessions allowed in a season. Introduced more stringent medical checks and introduced concussion protocols (Which Rugby already have done). Obviously there is no community game in American Football so what the ramifications are for Community Rugby who knows. There is currently a trial ongoing in France currently suspended due to the Covid Pandemic where they are busy trialling the lowering of the tackle height to below the waist. Maybe this is the way it goes who knows.

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2020, 01:52:11 PM »
My biggest fear is the impact it might have on mini/junior rugby if it hits the front pages and gets milked to death by our press. How many parents are going to stop their kids from playing based on all the bible our newspapers will publish?
Up the Harbour!!

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2020, 02:03:27 PM »
Football in the same boat not a hundred percent certain but I think they have banned heading a football in training in junior football.  For me as a parent who has a son who plays rugby the benefits far out way the risks. I have always encouraged and still do, for my son to play as much sport and try as many outdoor activities as he can. Life is for the living for me I would much rather live for 65 years and have took calculated risks and had a life full of enjoyment than been wrapped in cotton wool and lived a long life with none or minimal risk. But World Rugby must get an independent investigation into these concerns and publish what the risks are and what can be done to reduce them.

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2020, 07:56:08 PM »
Agree 100%, well said.
Up the Harbour!!

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
  • View from the blue horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2021, 01:45:31 PM »
I think I've just seen the answer to who should be in the England 15 shirt. His name is Tom Parton of London Irish, and I just watched him play a stormer against Quins in front of Eddie Jones.
Searing pace, great under the high ball, good kicker and defence looked solid. He's played England U20 but looks to be developing into a full-back of real class.
Marcus Smith also had his usual excellent game; he is ridiculously talented and I'd be amazed if he doesn't nudge Ford out of the fly-half jersey very soon.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 01:52:48 PM by Mugsy »

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Re: England
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2021, 04:46:14 PM »
Yes watched that game Parton and Smith were both very good. Was really impressed with Harry Randall again against Exeter even if it was a drab game. Now to a game that wasnt drab the Bath Wasps game. I do like Cameron Redpath as a 12 though does need to work on his defence. Was interested to see Lee Blackett talking up Paolo Odogwu for Italy. Surely on current form England should be looking at him. Great pace big powerful runner an absolute handful not many people break through an Underhill tackle.

Online davebarnes

• 1st XV
  • Remember when Rugby was a contact sport?
    • View Profile
    • Westoe RFC
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2021, 05:20:09 PM »

Agree that both Parton and Smith are superb, but I'd be surprised if Jones brings them in any time soon - They both play with a bit too much flair for his play-it-by-numbers tactical game.
Bring back the ruck.

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2021, 10:04:32 AM »
I agree with Mugsy and Dave, there's a first.

Smith and Parton are real finds and get better by the game and Harry Randall is coming along in strides but none will feature like dave says until Jones has moved along to pastures new. All 3 have too much of an independent streak too be risked in the formulaic rugby of jones and current England. Shame as they would be entertaining.

Offline stuartdm

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2021, 11:24:05 AM »
Randall is also Wales qualified, but they looks like they have plenty of good scrum halves.  Redpath is qualified for Scotland and France (he was born there) - we could do with getting him in.

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2021, 10:34:55 PM »
I agree with Mugsy and Dave, there's a first.

I disagree, we often agree.  :D

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2021, 11:02:06 PM »
Yes watched that game Parton and Smith were both very good. Was really impressed with Harry Randall again against Exeter even if it was a drab game. Now to a game that wasnt drab the Bath Wasps game. I do like Cameron Redpath as a 12 though does need to work on his defence. Was interested to see Lee Blackett talking up Paolo Odogwu for Italy. Surely on current form England should be looking at him. Great pace big powerful runner an absolute handful not many people break through an Underhill tackle.

Not sure about Odogwu yet Piper; he's electric with ball in hand and very powerful, but I'm a bit concerned about his positional sense. On two occasions recently I've seen the opposition fly half spot him out of position and kick to his wing, where the ball was caught unopposed by his opposite number. One led directly to a try and I rewound a few times to try and find out where he was - I still don't know! Out of shot somewhere.
I do wonder why he was used sparingly by Sale (and until recently at Wasps) despite his obvious talent in attack - he scores tries wherever he plays, including plenty for England 7s and U20, yet was loaned out to Sale FC and then Rotherham. Was it a problem with his defensive work, including the positional discipline I've highlighted? I haven't seen enough of his tackling/defensive nous to comment on that.
He plays the game with a grin and I hope he takes the chance he now undoubtedly has to become a household name.
I'll be watching with interest.

Here's a thought: maybe one day we'll see Odogwu and Radwan on the England wings with Parton making up a lightning back 3! Whoosh! That would be fun.

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2021, 11:45:49 PM »
Yes agree Odugwu not the finished article but really think he has something and would be a crying shame to lose him to Italy. I am not saying give him a cap for the sake of it but surely someone should be having a conversation with the young man and telling him what he needs to do to get in the squad. You cant coach pace and power well maybe a little bit.  Surely though Wasps and England can work on his positional play and tackling to get him to the required standard. Cant not but be impressed by young Radwan electric pace doing unbelievably well for first season in Premiership.

Offline Mugsy

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2021, 09:11:00 PM »
I always think that it is possible to have a decent stab at who might win the 6 nations based on where the fixtures are.
You want your nation to be at home against the big lads and away to the weaker ones.
This year's fixtures aren't particularly favourable to the England cause in my opinion, but will be seen as such by some.

6 Feb:  The Sweaties* H

13 Feb: The Eyeties* H

27 Feb: The SheepShaggers* A

13 March: The Frogs* H

20 March: The Bogtrotters* A.

*If anyone is offended by the derogatory terms used, please feel free to hate the English.

To spin it positively, you could argue that they will get out of the blocks with 2 home games, the first of which they should win and the second they should get some scoring practice. This will get them on a roll.
Then they go to Wales to play a side which, as I write this, looks as weak as they have in two decades, away, followed by the French, who are arguably their main threat, at home.
If this pans out as above then they will probably have to win the finale in Dublin - always a massive ask, but maybe easier than when Ireland were at their peak 2/3 seasons ago.

One thing is sure - we won't be sitting with our mates in our respective clubhouses watching. HARUMPH.  :'(