Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How quick is it?  (Read 923 times)

Offline Rinky Dinky

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
How quick is it?
« on: December 17, 2020, 09:27:13 PM »
After numerous sessions and looking at different game styles. How quick is everyone finding the new game?
Going to be interesting, baring in mind scrums take up about 15mins of game time at DN3. I think we may need extra refs and around 10 extra replacements to keep up with play  :D 

Offline Rugby Guy

• View Profile
Re: How quick is it?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 09:52:25 PM »
Frustrating that we canít play the version we know and love but this is better than nothing to get us through till next season.

These cluster leagues are there to just get games going. Donít think there is much point in trying to adapt your game to play as efficiently within the new laws when this is just a stop gap and hopefully revert back to ďnormalĒ as soon as possible.

Iíll be happy for the ref to take as long as they want to set up these free kicks haha

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 10:10:49 AM »
Imagine being the poor referee? I'm going to be expected to be at every breakdown.......wow :o

Offline Rinky Dinky

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 12:24:36 PM »
It really is a scary pace. I imagine it be competitive for 40 mins. Then line breaks from every attack there after. In training I am finding frontrow with acres of space, thinking what do I do 🙈

Offline Pied Piper of Hameln

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 05:35:37 PM »
Yes it is very quick did an under 18s girls game last night. What I would say is as a referee you can slow it down it's our responsibility to set the tempo of the taking of the scrum offence which cant be taken quickly and must be tapped and passed or tapped and kicked straight from hand. You can also tap and go if on the 5m line but again you can not go quickly.

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 07:40:15 PM »
Just refereed Stockton today using the adaptive laws. Players were very prepared by the coaches and the ball was in play a lot more than normal.

Iím jiggered but very happy with the game and the players enjoyed it, it was competitive only real loss of structure was set pieces, no scrums and 6 line outs in total. Lots of tap and go penalties which really tested us all.

Online flish

• Alickadoo
  • Ref more than I play
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 08:54:21 PM »
Same at DMP vs Darlo, the loss of the maul in open play was non-existent, line outs were poor though, definitely need a plan B (and really watch the backs offside line to keep the space).

Even with delaying the scrum FKís to ensure a defence is set, itís still a much faster game - and I feel for some of the less mobile - a team with fit agile backs will run riot once the pace takes itís toll, but lotís of bang smash in open play so something there.

That said, despite the weather, loved it from my angle and the players seemed to as well.

Offline Rinky Dinky

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2020, 03:12:55 PM »
All sounds positive, looking forward to starting up. Was talking to another coach, he mentioned we could look at making sure forwards are set around the free kick area. Giving backs more space to work with?
After watching a lot of rugby recently. Itís was evident that line-outs were going to be key. Setting up position from strike moves to score was huge in Super rugby.

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2020, 07:25:25 PM »
That was my big observation during the game, a sensible line of 15 is hard to penetrate. I was expecting something like the old set penalties we had back when but it didnít happen. If they were used it would naturally concentrate the players into forwards and backs and create a bit of space. Just a thought thatís all.

Offline Rugby Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2020, 10:36:14 PM »
I donít think thereís much point reading too much into the format and how best to play it. Itís a stop gap to just get people playing. Soon as you ďget to gripsĒ with it standard laws be brought back in. Throw the ball round , have some fun , get to play with mates and chance to get/stay fit and work on other aspects of your game.

I think we will be lucky to get rugby even with this format started in Jan with latest shambles coming from no10.

Glad to hear at least some clubs have managed to get some games going.

Offline Basher

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2020, 08:15:38 PM »
Not everybodyís cup of tea. Too relentless for some.