Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: First trial of adaptive laws  (Read 643 times)

Offline TAG

• View Profile
First trial of adaptive laws
« on: December 19, 2020, 06:50:31 PM »
Well today at North Shields we had our first run out under the new regime...
Inter club friendly 4 x 20 mins  game. Firstly thank you to the players and Mark Hall for refereeing. Some interesting situations, especially defence near the line and the problem of who is preventing release. Overall midfield very crowded, so many restarts both sides quickly lost shape, we will stick with big lads in the pack  as they were valuable as first carriers.

Some players loved it some hated it and might not play. Strange times...

Offline Leaskie

• 1st XV
    • View Profile
Re: First trial of adaptive laws
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 09:26:37 PM »
Novos are not due to head into contact training until the New Year.

I'd be interested to know what a match day looks like - were you able to use the changing rooms (we can only fit 8 in ours at any one time) or did players just rock up changed, play and then go home.

We are just about to issue info to our players so they can make an educated decision on whether they want to play contact rugby in the new year. It could be that we have to put on touch rugby for some and contact rugby for those willing to risk self isolation.

Would love to see some players come on here and tell us what they thought of the game/playing experience, were they concerned about the worst case scenario of having to isolate or did the feel a game of rugby is worth the risk based on what you get out of it.

Our players have loved the touch rugby that we have put on as it helps them get through their working week.

I saw that Horden and Seaham was off but other games were played - going to be interesting times trying to put sides together,

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 08:53:08 AM »
At Stockton players arrived changed and used a gazebo to change outdoors after the game. No showers after the game.

The game itself was about 90% normal, total lack of set pieces though as only 6 line outs in 80 mins. Sides seemed a bit unsure what to do with penalty and free kick restarts so just tap and go really. I have to say both sets of players really enjoyed it and it didnít feel like a training game at all.

Offline Badgerbear77

• Alickadoo
  • Views are my own
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 10:02:08 AM »
It was like a normal game except as we arent massive mailers anyway. It could do with tweaking for example the award of a free kick for a knock on to replace the scrum takes a lot out of the attacking team.. for.example you get a chance to win the ball back with a scrum or increase pressure where as the free kick is a complete relief of pressure for a defending team.. not sure what answer is for it though... its 75% of our game and better than nothing.. was great to see good club lads getting a chance to run about... most important thing in my eyes... lads enjoyed it.
Rugby is for everyone, not just the chosen few

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 09:16:18 PM »
Pleased the lads enjoyed it. I'm missing my Saturday afternoon craic on the touchline as much as anything. That's the beauty of our great game, having a natter with everyone. The longer this goes on, the more it will affect the mental health of so many.
Up the Harbour!!