Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: how many teams...??  (Read 1871 times)

Offline Looseheedno1

• View Profile
how many teams...??
« on: April 16, 2014, 12:25:03 PM »
As a 3rd/4th team player we had a recent discussion which raised some queries.  One of which was what would you rather have as a club structure....

x4 (or more) averge teams in leagues and struggling or...

x3 team strong experienced and successful teams challenging on all fronts.

Obviously many pros and cons on this subject; normally involving people not getting picked, not playing frequently, bringing youth players through the system, social and vets teams.

I would like to know what other people feel??

Offline stuartdm

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Re: how many teams...??
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 12:40:56 PM »
Well, I speak as a member of a club with only 1 team, but usually the 3rd/4th teams are social, playing the game is more important than the result.  So the more the better, as long as you keep your 1st team competitive - a successful 1st team attracts players, as does a friendly 4th team.

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 04:55:13 PM »
For me the problem is exactly that Stuart.

III/IV Teams should be SOCIAL!

So why oh why is there the obsession with leagues at this level of the game?

There's too much pressure on expecting all league games to be played and sometimes the gulf between sides in a D/N County League is even too much.

I think by getting rid of the league structure for 3/4 XV's would see a huge improvement 

Offline stuartdm

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 05:37:46 PM »
I think the advantage of leagues is that you have a fixture list rather than having to arrange friendlies for every week of the season - well that's the theory anyway.  Some teams take them seriously and some don't.

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 10:55:45 PM »
The vast majority of our players don't appear to support friendly fixtures; therefore any fringe lads we have don't get the much valued game time they need due to friendlies being cancelled left right and centre (unless we are short of numbers for a league game and they get thrown in at the deep end).

That's why we are a one-team club - because potential new players are more likely to go to a club that has a second or third XV that gives them exposure to games. It is so frustrating!!!  >:(

Offline Aidanb

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 09:03:26 AM »
The vast majority of our players don't appear to support friendly fixtures; therefore any fringe lads we have don't get the much valued game time they need due to friendlies being cancelled left right and centre (unless we are short of numbers for a league game and they get thrown in at the deep end).

That's why we are a one-team club - because potential new players are more likely to go to a club that has a second or third XV that gives them exposure to games. It is so frustrating!!!  >:(

chicken and egg
it's awful being stuck in that limbo, but you have a strong first 15 though

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 11:26:55 AM »
We did have mate - need to see how the land lies for this season.

Offline Badgerbear77

• Alickadoo
  • Views are my own
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 02:19:02 PM »
Think its important the league fixtures are competitive as no matter what standard of player its better if you are playing for something more than pride.

Where it falls down is where some clubs load their sides up - We played a clubs 3rd team in the league and won 50 odd nil and 1 week later played them in the cup, they fielded a side much changed full of first and 2nd team lads and beat us (Narrowly I might add)

Ive also played against certain clubs ( we all know who) where superstars from National leagues turn out in 3rd and 4th teams and they hammer people... Not good and clubs need to behave better.  ::)
Rugby is for everyone, not just the chosen few

Offline MR SPOCK

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 07:50:38 PM »
ideal set up 1st team 2nd team(Development) 3rds( social team)  Colts (U18/U17)