Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 3rd and 4th teams  (Read 1967 times)

Offline dar1

• View Profile
3rd and 4th teams
« on: November 05, 2014, 12:54:08 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone thought the same as me and think that 3rd and 4th teams are pointless when you have first teams who are struggling for teams or folding? I just wonder why players would want to stay in 3 Rd or 4th teams when they can go play 1st team rugby elsewhere or could go to another team with only 1 team and make a seconds strengthen the club in depth I think this would benefit local rugby more and make teams stronger. When I say all 3rd and 4th teams I'm not on bout veterans or social teams I just mean big clubs like blaydon who have a 3rd team players who will never get into first team at blaydon but could join another team and help them massively such as West end. This is my opinion and mean no offence 

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd and 4th teams
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 05:29:33 PM »
I totally agree. (Thanks for joining and making your first post!)

I think it's something that needs to be addressed; but it has more to say about the moral compass of the said players. If you're say 25/26 and playing in a National Leage Club's 3rd team, why on earth wouldn't you want to play for a 1st XV side in DN2/3? I'm not saying it's the status quo but i bet you'll enjoy your rugby a a hell of a lot more and feel more involved in a club E.g. getting to know all the Alickadoos, making new friends and yes playing 1st XV rugby.

I know of a few lads like this and unfortunately they can't be swayed - perhaps the pull of saying you play for these sides (no matter what level) is more important than making a difference at a club that needs it. I've said it before and will say it again - league rugby should not exist for 3rd/4th teams (and some 2nd teams depending on what league they're in. I'd say get rid of it below River Aln) - lets get back to friendlies and people enjoying their rugby again and it might also shift a few of these players you speak of into 1st XV rubgy.

Offline dar1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 05:38:19 PM »
I agree with you the guv it gets to me when I hear of players leaving first team rugby to play thirds and this happens all the time. I still think there should be a vets/social sides to keep older and people who can't commit playing rugby every week

Offline No. 6 to Middlegate

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 10:58:50 PM »
People play where they feel they will enjoy themselves most. For many, I would guess, this means playing with mates. Why knock someone for this?

Offline TheGuv

• Administrator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 07:08:01 AM »
Could the mates not move en masse to a nearby club?

Offline dar1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 10:01:05 AM »
I understand where your coming from no 6 to middle gate but that ain't the case of every player some just stay at teams just to say I play for that team as there a well known club I just think to improve rugby in Durham and northumberland area there should be more 1st teams not teams scrapping to get a side out or having to call games off that ain't good for anyone

Offline Renegade

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 04:29:46 PM »
My club Winlaton have benefited massively from Blaydons youth system, practically the whole first team have come "up the hill". We have no youth set-up at the Vulcans despite years of trying, Blaydon and Ryton both have very good junior sections and we can't break in.

What we have at Winlaton is a club where players can develop and become a big part of it. Our facilities and pitches are good, we invest in an excellent coach and the players are good friends and we are seeing a steady stream trying us out. Not all stay but our core of 1st/2nd team players are under 25 and developing really well.

There is no cliques, if you train you'll have a chance in the 1's. It's A big turnaround from 5/6 years ago when our 1's had an average age of 35+ and no under 25's, we played terrible rugby and were going to go belly up.

Now we are very strong and can only get stronger. The big tip is don't be afraid to accept all comers and do your best to make them feel welcome and important. ITs worked for us!

Offline Badgerbear77

• Alickadoo
  • Views are my own
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 07:56:49 AM »
I understand the sentiment, but in all honesty I reckon clubs have to cater for themselves. If a player wants to play 1sts, they have an option to leave and try but why should a club attracting players feel they shouldn't field as many sides as possible, I played 1sts at novos for years, played 2s when I got to old and 3s and 4s too.. Always available for whoever wanted me. My mates were across all 4 teams and I could have dropped down the leagues and played 1s but why should I? Similar I've seen decent players go to clubs like park or northern to play higher, realised they weren't good enough but don't return and are playing 2s or 3s. If they are happy with that it's fine. Why put pressure on?  If clubs are struggling to attract players they need to make themselves more attractive and talk to their union about how they can attract members... In another area I'm dealing with pressure for some squad players to move to another club... Again why should they, if my team and club are doing something right and players want to play here who am I to send them elsewhere? Sorry but really disagree with what your saying... If clubs don't find a way to gain members and successful clubs send players away the drift will be more... Clubs need to learn to be better, players will naturally follow. Having said that if a players personal ambition is to be a big fish in a small pond it's a shame, but what can you do?
Rugby is for everyone, not just the chosen few

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 06:59:59 PM »
Some players like to play at a high level and some just want to play social rugby with their pals. At our level (9) we can't afford to push them too hard if they don't want it because they will only end up walking away from the game altogether.

My view is that if players are good enough to move on to play a higher level of rugby you have a duty of care to help them on their way. This season we lost our fly half because he wanted to test himself at a higher level and has rightfully moved to a bigger club. But he has been told that he can come back any time he wants to.

I think its important that players leave with your best wishes and the assurances that the door will always be open for them to return if they so wish... especially if they have left a load of their mates behind.

Offline Teessidewire

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 04:53:40 PM »
Good attitude Neil. we've always done the same at Stockton, especially when players have left to join a Club at a higher level. If you keep in contact with them and take an interest in their career they tend to eventually come back to you.

Offline stuartdm

• Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 12:00:03 AM »
Good attitude Neil. we've always done the same at Stockton, especially when players have left to join a Club at a higher level. If you keep in contact with them and take an interest in their career they tend to eventually come back to you.

Well you should never have let Geoff Parling go mind.

Offline Neil Roseberry

• Global Moderator
  • Alickadoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 11:07:44 AM »
The same lad is actually helping us out by volunteering with our youth development plans. Great lad with the right attitude. He is from a good pedigree though - his dad played for us when we were at our peak and is now on our coaching team.